4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!! Cylinder 1 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 09:45 PM

HELP!! Cylinder 1 misfire.

Ahhh.
Can anybody help me with my car problems. My check engine light has been comming on the last few weeks and I get the following codes.

0205: IACV-AAC valve (About 4 or 5 different times)
0608: Cylinder 1 misfire (About 3 different times)
0515: Something to do with EGR system (Only once)

The car seems to run O.K. until I place it into gear, then it seems to have a rough idle. Normally this happens only in gear but not moving at normal running temp, but now it does it all the time in gear. A few days back the Check engine light started blinking at me while I was driving so I haven't been driving much lately.

So far I have changed all spark plugs to the NGK 1 range colder plugs because I have an S/C.
Swapped coils between cylinder 1 and 3.
Took off intake manifold and did a resistance test on All injectors and they tested at 11.6 Ohms on the injector.
The IACV-AAC valve was tested and it was at 39 Ohms
so I don't know what the problem is.
I have changed the fuel filter already but it was really clogged when I changed it.
The car before it started acting up was losing lots of power.
I have an S/C, y-pipe, catback, valvebody and I lost to my buddies STOCK 300ZXTT. Normally I would smoke those but I don't know.
Please post if you know what the problem could be or if you know someone who would know.

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-02-2001, 10:01 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: HELP!! Cylinder 1 misfire.

Look here and find your problems:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=45274
Old 10-02-2001, 11:50 PM

I have already looked into all of that thats how I knew to check all that other stuff and now I am stuck and clueless about what to do next.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by DaveMax99
I have already looked into all of that thats how I knew to check all that other stuff and now I am stuck and clueless about what to do next.
maybe check compression? dry/wet test?
Old 10-03-2001, 10:20 PM

Still no luck. The compression on all of the cylinders was 150 plus minus 5. I don't know what else it could be. Any other possibilities?
Old 10-04-2001, 12:02 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Replace or get the ACC valve test it out first. If not, take it to Nissan dealership and get them to pin point the exact problem for the $60 diagnostic fee. Don't just let them pull the code, but make sure they test the possible faulty part. There are procedures to test the part while it's still on the car. This way, you will know for sure what's really bad. You can then choose to repair it yourself or pay someone to do it.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:56 PM

Lean miss?

Originally posted by DaveMax99
Ahhh.
Can anybody help me with my car problems. My check engine light has been comming on the last few weeks and I get the following codes.

0205: IACV-AAC valve (About 4 or 5 different times)
0608: Cylinder 1 misfire (About 3 different times)
0515: Something to do with EGR system (Only once)

The car seems to run O.K. until I place it into gear, then it seems to have a rough idle. Normally this happens only in gear but not moving at normal running temp, but now it does it all the time in gear. A few days back the Check engine light started blinking at me while I was driving so I haven't been driving much lately.

So far I have changed all spark plugs to the NGK 1 range colder plugs because I have an S/C.
Swapped coils between cylinder 1 and 3.
Took off intake manifold and did a resistance test on All injectors and they tested at 11.6 Ohms on the injector.
The IACV-AAC valve was tested and it was at 39 Ohms
so I don't know what the problem is.
I have changed the fuel filter already but it was really clogged when I changed it.
The car before it started acting up was losing lots of power.
I have an S/C, y-pipe, catback, valvebody and I lost to my buddies STOCK 300ZXTT. Normally I would smoke those but I don't know.
Please post if you know what the problem could be or if you know someone who would know.

Thanks

Dave
I have scant knowledge of the peculiarities of the supercharged engine. Furthermore, I am going far into the realm of speculation about this aggravating problem. Therefore the ideas in this post may be way off base. Be warned.

The fuel injector resistance test provides confidence that an injector is electrically okay. It doesn't tell anything about the mechanical properties. Even if a foreign body interferes with its operation the injector, the solenoid will still measure "good". The sound test might identify one injector which behaves differently from the others.

I suspect you have a "lean miss" on cylinder #1.

You may get a "lean miss" on cylinder #1 if injector #1 sticks closed or is obstructed by foreign matter.

You may also get a "lean miss" on cylinder #1 because of a problem with injector #3 or #5. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Here's what happens. #3 or #5 (or both) stick open... maybe occasionally, maybe all the time. For this discussion, let's say that both are sticking open. Those cylinders run rich. The Rear Bank Oxygen Sensor sends frantic signals to the Engine Control Module saying "Go Lean! Go Lean!!". The ECM salutes and makes the mixture leaner. However, the ECM has no way to discriminate between #1, #3, and #5 because they share the same Oxygen Sensor. It knows only that the rear bank is too rich. The ECM makes the mixture leaner by sending shorter "on time" signals to injectors #1, #3, and #5. This compensates for the sticky injectors in #3 and #5, but look what happens to poor #1! He goes way lean, through no fault of his own. The consequence is a misfire on #1.
Old 10-04-2001, 09:32 PM

Hey man what kinda milegage do u have on your car? Your compression sounds really low the minimum in the Haynes manual i beiieve is 145 I have a 95se w/95,000 and i just checked my compression and was between 180-185 all around....
Old 10-07-2001, 09:27 PM

Well I swapped the injectors on 1 and 2 (Front Bank). And I still get the Cylinder 1 misfire. I then had the engine running and disconnected the Ignition coil and the car ran the same, no drops in rpm and it idled the same. Well I looked into this and found out that the red wire that goes into the connector that plugs into the coil is not giving any voltage, with the key in the on position of course. But the others have voltage. So I know that the wire is broken somewhere but it is extremely hard to find. Well thanks to all of those who tried to help, but if you have any other suggestions let me know. Thanks
Dave
Old 10-08-2001, 08:22 AM

I think with forced induction you want lower compression to help offset detonation.