4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stupid squealing brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 97 SE. The brakes started squealing at 35k miles, so I changed out the brakes myself. The old pads weren't even wore half way down?!?! I went ahead and put the new pads on (that was about 2 months ago). Now, even with the new pads, the squealing continues to get louder with each passing day! IS THERE SOME SECRET I DON'T KNOW ABOUT???

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-30-2000, 09:00 PM

It's the shims. Make sure you replace the shims when you change the brake pads. Use the shims included with genuine Nissan brake pads.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:50 PM

i did the same thing as eric cause im poor wtf is shims?? my car squeaks so bad when i got 2 the mall i use my ebrake lol =]
Old 10-30-2000, 09:58 PM

Hrmph...

Maxima brakes like to squeak. Mine were pretty bad before my 110k service, and they replaced the back brakes. I assume they cleaned up some stuff on the front ones, because it doesn't do it as much, but if I press the brake pedal lightly, you can still hear it =(.. If you slam on the brake it doesn't squeak at all however. bleah.
Old 10-31-2000, 12:13 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

when you replace your pads, dont use cheapy aftermarket ones, they squeak alot. if your rotor has grooves, runout, taper wear, out of parraleism it should be resurfaced. I do know many master techs that think turning rotors is no good tho. You should also lub your guide pins and sliding points. if all this was done correctly, you should experince no squeak at all....
Old 10-31-2000, 12:19 AM

Re: ...

Originally posted by max1ma97se
i did the same thing as eric cause im poor wtf is shims?? my car squeaks so bad when i got 2 the mall i use my ebrake lol =]
My brakes squealed badly when I hit 25k. Had my brakes replaced at 32k, which involved new pads, new shims, and turned rotors. I'm at 44k now and so far, no squealing at all.

Shims are metal clips which cling to the brake pad. When the brake pads wear, the shims have little "flaps" which grind against the rotor, serving as the "brake wear indicator". You can tell the brakes are wearing out when you hear the squeal even if you are not stepping on the brakes, especially starting off from a stop. I dunno why old shims cause squeal even with new pads, but I just know my mechanic told me that he stops squeal on Nissans and Toyotas by using factory shims. Shims come with the brake pads as part of a kit. Your dealer or mechanic will know about it.
Old 10-31-2000, 02:10 AM

solution-------->

hey mine does that after like 15k after brake pad change. what i usually do is (happen to me 3 times) take em apart, clean caliper and back side of pads with brake cleaner then put on some blue anti-squeal goo on the back side of pads(i found the goo better than spray kind). then put em back together no more squeal well at least for me.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:02 AM

brake pads w/o squeal

My brakes squeal too--occasionally--and sometimes frequently and sometimes I can go through the whole day without it squealing.
in any case, I noticed the back brake pads are rarely used because the back wheels don't get dirty too often, and that is with me washing the car every 2-3 weeks. In addition, the pads that were changed at 25K were these Bendix pads--and I don't think they were as good as the original.

I think I might have these changed out in a year or so--but so far--what is the best value/ quality for the dollar? the stock Nissan Pads, Axxis metallics, or the porterfields?
I know the porterfields are about $140 for the front--is that worth it?

I just can't stand the squeal!!

btw, has anyone had their rotor resurfaced at about 30K yet? Mine looks like there are a lot of ridges on it--and I am assuming that is no good?
Old 10-31-2000, 12:36 PM

SHIMS!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2000, 01:24 PM

shims!!

What do the shims do? can anyone provide a simple explanation for them? are they a part of the brakes that is worn down over time--such as the brake pads or can old shims remain with new pads--that is the confusing part.

thanks for any words of wisdom here
Old 10-31-2000, 01:47 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: shims!!

shims are basically sandwiched thin pieces of metal.
for nissans..
the shims clip on the back side of the pads. they don't serve as a wear indicator and they are not there to tell you when your pads are gone. the shims are on the back on the pads to asborb vibrations. squeal is due to the pads vibrating. like someone said..when you slam on the brake no squeek/squeal becasue the pads are not vibrating since it's clamped tight on the rotor.
it's not recommended to reuse old shims. call up courtesy and get a the reshim "tin" kit. it comes w/ new springs for the pads and the shims. it's a small price to pay for quiet brakes.
they don't get worn down but they do lose their shape and they don't clamp as tight on the pad. also they will rust over time. basically start fresh and you'll be ok. you can try that antisqueal goop but that just basically glues the pad to the caliper...hence no squeak. it's great if your doing the pads once..but the next guy who's doing the brakes will be pretty pissed since they have to clean that crap up.
Dan

Originally posted by humaras
What do the shims do? can anyone provide a simple explanation for them? are they a part of the brakes that is worn down over time--such as the brake pads or can old shims remain with new pads--that is the confusing part.

thanks for any words of wisdom here
Old 10-31-2000, 06:05 PM

DanNY--

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that brake stuff to me about t the shims and all. I was curious as to what could be causing all the noise--and I realized after looking at the old pads themselves now that they reused the old shims...idiots!! I swear never to let my car out of my sight to these idiots. There are just way too many idiots out there who have touched my car and it is remarkable that the thing is still in one piece.

one quick question--when we buy the new set of brake pads from Courtesy--is that for both sides of the front or back or just for one side--ie the front, passenger side? ANd do the shims come with these pads?

that really is like two questions--heheh...sorry about that...and thanks again.

Brian =)
Old 10-31-2000, 06:22 PM

1. will a nissan dealer replace just the shims to stop the squealing or will they tell you you need to pads.

2. can you buy just the shims

3. are they hard to install
Old 10-31-2000, 07:13 PM

Dan is exactly right. The squeal comes from vibration. Take care of the vibration and take care of the squeal. I do however recommend using the anti-squeal compound -- just be careful and don't goop it everywhere or you will end up with a mess. Smear a thin layer on between the shim and the brake pad (and you can even put a little on the outside of the shim to the caliper clamp side). Wait for it to dry a little bit and slip it all back together. A dealer is always gonna tell you to replace pads any time they take it apart. So will most brake parts' places. Get the goop for $2 and give it a try. If that doesn't get it, then get a professional to mess with it. I doubt anyone sells shims by themselves since most of the time they come with new pads -- if you get good ones.

Nissan disc brakes are very easy to take apart and reassemble. Both wheels can usually be done in under an hour, depending how long it takes you to get the wheels off.

Good luck. -kev
Old 10-31-2000, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by flik55
I have a 97 SE. The brakes started squealing at 35k miles, so I changed out the brakes myself. The old pads weren't even wore half way down?!?! I went ahead and put the new pads on (that was about 2 months ago). Now, even with the new pads, the squealing continues to get louder with each passing day! IS THERE SOME SECRET I DON'T KNOW ABOUT???

Thanks for your help!
My brakes almost always squeak when they are cold. When they warm up they are fine.
Old 11-01-2000, 12:48 PM
Joe

That's weird. My brakes seem to squeek more when it's hot outside, and less when it's cold. They almost don't squeek at all in cold weather. Is there a reason for this?

I didn't know so many other Max owners had this brake problem too...
Old 11-01-2000, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Joe
That's weird. My brakes seem to squeek more when it's hot outside, and less when it's cold. They almost don't squeek at all in cold weather. Is there a reason for this?

I didn't know so many other Max owners had this brake problem too...
Same with me (95 GXE). The breaks do not squeek within the first 10-15 min, and then start doing this. Yesterday I took the car to the garage, where it was prepared for selling a month ago. The mechanic showed me recently installed new pads & shims of a very high quality (as he said), then greesed the shims. He didn't notice anything suspicious there. After all, the squeeking seems to be even louder then before...

Eugene.

Old 11-01-2000, 01:38 PM

Will a nissan dealership replace the shims when they replace the pads? cuz i got my replaced like 10k miles ago b/c the squeal, but now the do the exact same thing all over again.
Old 11-01-2000, 01:48 PM

cold weather

count me in on that too.
the last few weeks with the variation in temp, I'd noticed that in colder days in the morning--around 40' degrees or so, the brakes would be fine, it is only when driven awhile when the squeaking comes around...hmmm.
wonder what that is--but in the summer, with these crappy brake pads, they squeeel like pigs anyway.

=)
Old 11-01-2000, 02:11 PM

so how do you know if it's the pads or the shims