4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension problem... Is it shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 09:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Suspension problem... Is it shocks?

Ok, I plan to replace my stock shocks (78k miles) with kyb agx's the second they're released but I just want to make sure that my shocks are what's causing my horribly ride and not something else also. Here's what the car drives like... any bump I hit the car not only takes the bump very harshly but also looses it's footing. In other words, the car slides around on a bump, very badly.

Will replacing my shocks fix this or is it something else also?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2001, 10:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Suspension problem... Is it shocks?

Originally posted by CKNY
Ok, I plan to replace my stock shocks (78k miles) with kyb agx's the second they're released but I just want to make sure that my shocks are what's causing my horribly ride and not something else also. Here's what the car drives like... any bump I hit the car not only takes the bump very harshly but also looses it's footing. In other words, the car slides around on a bump, very badly.

Will replacing my shocks fix this or is it something else also?

Thanks
Yes, your rear shocks are probably shot. How many miles you got? When the struts/shocks go, much of the work is transfered to the coils since the struts/shocks can't control the rebound. This makes for a harsh ride. Sounds like your car "wallows" around the turns which is another sign of failing strut/shocks. Get a swaybar too. The rear shocks will typically die much quicker than the struts. Personally I'd buy a set of KYB GR2s and some lowering springs instead of waiting for these "out in September of 1999" KYB AGXs. Unless you really plan on running your car hard, the AGXs are probably overkill. The GR2s are much firmer than stock and mine have leasted over 30000 miles under a 1.7+" drop. You could get a full set of GR2s and springs for the price of the AGXs (~$520) a set. I've got the Konis in the front and their stiff, even on their lowest setting.

Dave
Old 10-06-2001, 01:29 AM

shocks

Test your shocks:
1. go to a corner of your car and push it down
2. let it come back up and push it back down... get a rythm going a few more times...
3. now let go.
4. it should only bounce 2 more times.

If the car is very easy to push down or bounces more than 3 times, your shock is bad. Now go to the other 3 corners and test those too.

Justin
Old 10-06-2001, 08:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I know the shocks are gone... but is that what's causing the car to slide around when taking small bumps in the road? I hope so, because i don't want to have to replace something else also!!

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris
Old 10-06-2001, 09:47 AM

sliding

Originally posted by CKNY
Well, I know the shocks are gone... but is that what's causing the car to slide around when taking small bumps in the road? I hope so, because i don't want to have to replace something else also!!

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris
Probably, but I'm having a hard time imagining what "sliding" feels like. My nephew has a '92 GXE w/ bad shocks and when I ride in his car, it feels like it's a boat. When he hits a bump, I can see the front end going up and down, left and right, almost in a circular motion, it almost makes you seasick.

Is that kinda what you mean? I don't know if all he needs is shocks, cuz I haven't looked at it, and he doesn't have any money for repairs anyway.

Justin
Old 10-06-2001, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm kinda of getting that it's kinda like my car. It feels like when you hit a bump, the car lifts a little and you get the feeling that you could possible lose control. I got a 97 GLE with 34k and I experience that too, It's kinda upseting since I know that the car wasn't abused too much, (i'm the original owner)
Old 10-07-2001, 10:31 AM

I can definitely relate to what your saying...If im on the freeway and I go around a corner, the car feels like if it losses its footing. I was rearended in december and ever since the handling sucks! I thought by getting wider tires that would solve the problem, but it didnt. I am now going to try replacing the suspension. I have eibacj spring and I need to get koni struts. If this is what you car is doinf please let me know!