4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen vs. Addco

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:15 PM

Stillen vs. Addco

What are the pros and cons between these two RSB's? Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Stillen is adjustable but the Addco isn't, right? Please let me know what experiences people have had and what the benefits of adjustment are. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try here
Old 10-08-2001, 08:01 AM

I bought the Addco one because it was a lot cheaper. It's been great for me, both street and track. The car handles very neutral vs. stock. Every instructor who has ridden with me at track sessions cant't believe it. If I want to play with the amount of oversteer, I play with the rear tire pressures.

By adjusting the location of the mounting points, what you essentially do is adjust the stiffness of the bar, which determines how resistant your car will be to roll. If you use the inside holes which make the bar "shorter" you will be at your stiffest setting and it will take more force to make the car roll than the if you mount the bar using the outside holes.

The stiffer the bar, the car will be more twitchy and prone to oversteer, which for us, is good to a point. If the bar is really stiff, you can lift the inside wheel in a turn, which means you lose that contact patch on the tire and the car will be very tail happy.

Keeping the above in mind, an adjustable bar will allow you more flexibility in tailoring your cars handling to your individual taste. Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:38 AM

Stillen's RSB is prettier

I love my stillen RSB, it's EASILY adjustable. People say they can adjust the addco, but it's adjustment is very limited. Since the stillen doesn't attach to the rear beam, you can adjust it much more.

I've never hear anyone complain about having problems with installing the Stillen, whereas some people have said the addco gave them some troubles.

But the stillen is about double the price of the addco, unless you find a used one.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:43 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

so tell me....

How long have you had your Stillen RSB and how many times have you actually adjusted it???????

It's really a shame stillen charges so much for their piece.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:17 AM

Re: so tell me....

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
How long have you had your Stillen RSB and how many times have you actually adjusted it???????

It's really a shame stillen charges so much for their piece.
I've had my Stillen RSB for about three weeks.
And I've adjusted it about four times, when I first installed it.

I put the bar to both extreme ends to see how they both feel. Then I tried it right in the middle. Then I finally moved it a little forward, under the rear beam. And I like the way it handles like this, so I kept it there.

But once I get the AGX's I might adjust the position since the struts will also effect the handling of the car. It's all about the freedom to adjust it, that's why I got the stillen.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:47 AM

I love my addco and would never pay the stillen price on principle alone...
Old 10-08-2001, 09:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stillen RSB is the way to go.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by theblue
I love my addco and would never pay the stillen price on principle alone...
I agree about the pricing, but both my FSTB and RSB were used pieces from Maxima owners, and I paid about the same price as a new non-stillen version, so it was worth it in my mind.

I agree, I would never had paid the full stillen price.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:21 AM

The Addco and $tillen RSB do the EXACT same thing.....the $tillen is about $60 more......you decide for yourself...
Old 10-08-2001, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by mitch33x
The Addco and $tillen RSB do the EXACT same thing.....the $tillen is about $60 more......you decide for yourself...
$60??

Stillen new = $230
Addco new = $120

It's actually over $100 more. About double the price.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:39 AM

Addco = Only 115.00 at custommaxima.com
Old 10-08-2001, 11:42 AM

I got mine new for $100.

Originally posted by Rooster286
Addco = Only 115.00 at custommaxima.com
Old 10-08-2001, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by breaux124

$60??

Stillen new = $230
Addco new = $120

It's actually over $100 more. About double the price.
my bad...even more reason to get the Addco...
Old 10-08-2001, 12:37 PM

my bad...even more reason to get the Addco...
Hey Mitch... you never answered my IM... do you know a guy form NJ who owns a Silver Jetta with Borbet rims?
Old 10-08-2001, 01:55 PM

I purchased the Stillen RSB and it is one of my fav. mods to date. I understand however that there is a difference in the Addco vs. the Stillen- the Addco has rubber or polyurethane (sp?) bushings in the rear clamps Addco's clamps and the Maxima's hardware. The Stillen on the other hand bolts the metal bracket of the RSB directly to the rear suspension. This difference allows Stillen's RSB to react a tiny bit faster in a corner because the Addco bushings have to compress before the RSB receives pressure from the outside tire with the pressure; because the Stillen bolts right on to the suspension w/o the bushing, there is no need to compress any bushing, resulting in a faster reaction time of the pressure to the RSB.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:04 PM

Hey Mitch... you never answered my IM... do you know a guy form NJ who owns a Silver Jetta with Borbet rims?
I did respond to your IM in the GS burnout thread...I guess you didnt see it...oh well......I do know a guy from NJ that goes to RIT and drives a 2001 Silver Jetta 1.8T with borbet type e's....he is one of my good friends from high school...you know him?...
Old 10-08-2001, 02:12 PM

I did respond to your IM in the GS burnout thread...I guess you didnt see it...oh well......I do know a guy from NJ that goes to RIT and drives a 2001 Silver Jetta 1.8T with borbet type e's....he is one of my good friends from high school...you know him?...
oh... I didn't see that I guess... anyway he lives in my building and saw me working on my car and had seen my sig pic online... I see him around now and then and told him to go to the track with me sometime he said you may come up and visit sometime... get your snow tires on if so because it snowed yesterday
Old 10-08-2001, 04:15 PM

oh... I didn't see that I guess... anyway he lives in my building and saw me working on my car and had seen my sig pic online... I see him around now and then and told him to go to the track with me sometime he said you may come up and visit sometime... get your snow tires on if so because it snowed yesterday
Damn, you guys have snow up there already. I will go up to RIT to visit sometime..not sure when though. He did come with me to the track once...I think he ran a 17 or something...he just wanted to try it out...he said once was enough...
Old 10-08-2001, 04:27 PM

Damn, you guys have snow up there already. I will go up to RIT to visit sometime..not sure when though. He did come with me to the track once...I think he ran a 17 or something...he just wanted to try it out...he said once was enough...
hehe... only a little snow, nothing that stuck... this friday is the last track day so I'm going all out for 14.4s if the weather is really idea and super cold
Old 10-08-2001, 07:02 PM

Sway Bar Function

The function of any sway bar is to link both the left and right sides of the suspension together. As the left is pushed down, it pushes down on the right (and vice versa).

On making a turn, one side of the suspension tries to compress, and the other extend. The sway bar links both sides and reduces this tendency... making the car handle flatter around curves.

The Addco bar CAN be adjusted by moving the "[" (side) brackets further or closer to the end of the bar. The closer to the end of the bar they are moved, the less effect the bar has. Why is this???

The bar functions by being twisted. It's easier to twist the bar by handling it by the ends, rather than close to the bars axis of rotation. In other words, the car has more leverage in bending the bar when the "[" brackets (side bushings) are close to the ends. The more leverage the car has in the bending the bar, the easier it bends, and the less effective it is.

My Addco bar works best (stock suspension) with the "[" bracket and bushing about an inch from the end of the bar. A stiffer suspension (and larger front bar) would be able to take advantage of a stiffer adjustment of the rear bar. Making the rear bar too stiff just makes the front end sway and act weird in the turns.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2001, 07:15 PM

Re: Sway Bar Function

Originally posted by n2oMike
The function of any sway bar is to link both the left and right sides of the suspension together. As the left is pushed down, it pushes down on the right (and vice versa).

On making a turn, one side of the suspension tries to compress, and the other extend. The sway bar links both sides and reduces this tendency... making the car handle flatter around curves.

The Addco bar CAN be adjusted by moving the "[" (side) brackets further or closer to the end of the bar. The closer to the end of the bar they are moved, the less effect the bar has. Why is this???

The bar functions by being twisted. It's easier to twist the bar by handling it by the ends, rather than close to the bars axis of rotation. In other words, the car has more leverage in bending the bar when the "[" brackets (side bushings) are close to the ends. The more leverage the car has in the bending the bar, the easier it bends, and the less effective it is.

My Addco bar works best (stock suspension) with the "[" bracket and bushing about an inch from the end of the bar. A stiffer suspension (and larger front bar) would be able to take advantage of a stiffer adjustment of the rear bar. Making the rear bar too stiff just makes the front end sway and act weird in the turns.

Good Luck!
Best write-up I've seen so far... thanks