4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ngk?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 01:15 PM

Ngk?????

Hey, what kind of NGK's should I run. And what kind of prices??? Any help would be great. Thanx
Old 10-08-2001, 10:52 PM
KCTYPHOON

read the sticky post on maintaince items.. you just wanna put the stock plugs back in. ngk platinums in the store are like 17.50 each. you can order them online for like 51 bucks shipped

Old 10-09-2001, 12:25 AM

I believe the NGK platinums come in three temp ranges...designated with a 4, 5, or 6. Nissan's OEM plug is the one in the "5" temp range.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
read the sticky post on maintaince items.. you just wanna put the stock plugs back in. ngk platinums in the store are like 17.50 each. you can order them online for like 51 bucks shipped
Good reference, but they are only 12 bucks at the Nissan dealership.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:46 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by medicsonic

Good reference, but they are only 12 bucks at the Nissan dealership.

and this is yet another useless thread.

one day people will read.....one day

[returns to banging head against wall]
Old 10-09-2001, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

and this is yet another useless thread.

one day people will read.....one day

[returns to banging head against wall]
And just what is a board for then? Shouldn't people be able to ask what they want to know without worrying about other people disliking their posts? Most boards are happy to answer any and all questions that people ahve, regardless of how many times it's been covered in the past. So I ask again, what's the point of the board?

Justin
Old 10-09-2001, 07:57 AM

And to those who have helped, thanks. I appreciate it. That's the main reason I'm on the board, to give and recieve help.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by JdawgX
And just what is a board for then? Shouldn't people be able to ask what they want to know without worrying about other people disliking their posts? Most boards are happy to answer any and all questions that people ahve, regardless of how many times it's been covered in the past. So I ask again, what's the point of the board?

Justin

You should act like you have a brain and use it before opening your mouth.

A simple reading of the IMPORTANT post titled "4th Gen Maxima Maintenance Items" revealed this little bit of info:

Part Information:

Platinum OEM Replacement: NGK #PFR5G-11

Carparts.com: Part #2647 $16.24 each.

Nissan Part Number: 22401-1P1S5VW (order quantity of 6)
-$47 to $52 (for 6) at discount dealers
-Monarch Products (NGK Wholesaler and Rep) $6.40 each

Spark Plug Gap: .039 to .043 (NGKs should be pre-gapped)

Where can I get these?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=42983

Which one/other ones are available(Colder/Hotter Range)?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=44607
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=21070
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=31608
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=33884
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=35763
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=57811

When should I replace them?
Every 60k according to owner's manual.

How do you replace them?

How-to courtesy of Daniel B. Martin:

This job is easier than it might appear at first glance.

1) Remove front bank rocker cover ornament.

2) Two components obstruct easy access to cylinders 3 and 5 (middle and driver's side on the rear bank). These are the throttle control cable guide and the canister purge volume control solenoid valve. Remove the nuts and bolts which secure their mounting brackets to the upper intake manifold. There is no need to remove these components, just push them aside.

3) Disconnect six ignition coil harness connectors. Three are found under the ornament. Three more are found nestled among the plenum runners, in plain view, closer to the windshield than the three which were hidden under the ornament. These connectors have a gray body and a green release latch. Note that the latch has an arrow molded into it. Push the latch in the direction of the arrow until a click is heard, and then pull the connector away from the coil. This is not difficult and requires only finger pressure.

4) Loosen ignition coil fixing bolts and pull out six coils from the intake manifold connectors. The bolts may be removed with a Phillips screwdriver or a socket wrench. The socket is preferred, as it is less likely to slip and bugger the fastener.

5) Use a spark plug socket, a long extension, and a ratchet handle to remove the spark plugs.

6) I recommend using a tiny dab of anti-seize compound on the threads of the new spark plugs.

7) Tighten the new plugs to 14 - 22 foot-pounds.

8) Reassemble.

Is there another link or other info that explains this?

See http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/sparkplug.html

See also Chapter 8, "Do It Yourself", in your Maxima Owner's Manual.

What can I tell about the current condition of my plugs so that I know when/if to replace them?

With the exception of gross damage you can't really tell anything about the condition of a spark plug by visual examination. You can tell something about the condition of the cylinder by looking at the plug. This is called "plug reading" and it would be done only as part of a diagnostic evaluation of a malfunctioning engine.

You will find photographs of spark plugs with explanatory text at several web sites. Here are good ones:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm#We
http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark2.htm#Reading
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~98fxdwg/plugs.htm

Your thread is useless because it reflects no effort on your part to find out this basic information.

Before you call a moderator out, please be ready to back yourself up and at least post that you made an effort to search.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:26 AM

You should act like you have a brain and use it before opening your mouth.

Your thread is useless because it reflects no effort on your part to find out this basic information.

Before you call a moderator out, please be ready to back yourself up and at least post that you made an effort to search.
I was asking to see if people have had luck with other types of NGK or possibly another type of plug. I did in fact check the above mentioned thread but wanted to see if anyone else had other information. No wonder other people don't like the board, look at the moderators!
Old 10-09-2001, 08:27 AM

This is part of the reason that I'm selling my car, too slow and not a whole lot of people really willing to help out. Can't wait to get something faster. Hmmmm....... GTP anyone?
Old 10-09-2001, 08:35 AM

I'm not going to get into this much more except for the fact that you didn't do research, had your butt handed to you, and are now upset because you were called on your unwillingness to do anything on your own before wasting our time with a repeat post.

In your initial post, you mentioned nothing about running other kinds of plugs, so that is misrepresenting the truth. The maintenance sticky post answered your question, and even provides further links for what is available. You chose not to read it, so why should you blame me for your own laziness?

If you really checked the above thread, you should have stated so and asked about others impressions about other plugs. You did not post in a way that said you made any sort of effort to find out the information. Plus, I'll bet you didn't follow through on any of those links or else you wouldn't be asking these kinds of questions.

Please go buy your GTP and hopefully those guys will come do everything for you. We don't run a day care here.

And have a nice day.

Old 10-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Administrator

you are selling your car for an AUTO with cheap interior?

oh BTW .. i pay $7.50 for NGK Plats
Old 10-09-2001, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by JdawgX
And to those who have helped, thanks. I appreciate it. That's the main reason I'm on the board, to give and recieve help.
Your sig is NOT MedicSonic approved.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:56 AM

I'm not going to get into this much more except for the fact that you didn't do research, had your butt handed to you, and are now upset because you were called on your unwillingness to do anything on your own before wasting our time with a repeat post.

In your initial post, you mentioned nothing about running other kinds of plugs, so that is misrepresenting the truth. The maintenance sticky post answered your question, and even provides further links for what is available. You chose not to read it, so why should you blame me for your own laziness?

If you really checked the above thread, you should have stated so and asked about others impressions about other plugs. You did not post in a way that said you made any sort of effort to find out the information. Plus, I'll bet you didn't follow through on any of those links or else you wouldn't be asking these kinds of questions.

Please go buy your GTP and hopefully those guys will come do everything for you. We don't run a day care here.

And have a nice day.

You forgot the 'please drive through'.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:54 AM

Platinum or Iridium?

What is the difference between the Platinum and Iridium plugs? Are Platinum plugs worth the extra dough?
Old 10-09-2001, 09:57 AM

Re: Platinum or Iridium?

Originally posted by hrmax
What is the difference between the Platinum and Iridium plugs? Are Platinum plugs worth the extra dough?
Better not ask here. It's obviously been covered else where. Oh wait, sorry, thought I was a moderator for a second there.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:01 AM

Ok Bill, here's the deal. I'm sorry for getting mad, I just am tired of people always saying that "it's been covered before". I understand that it's frustrating to answer the same questions over and over, and I know people don't always make their question clear enough. But if we can answer them then I feel that we should. Regardless of how stupid it may be.

And I'm fairly sure that I can work on my own car, but thanx for the advice on getting help from the GTP guys

No hard feelings I hope, this just happened to be the thread that I finally lost it on. Just frustrated with the lack of help for people, that's all.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:38 PM

Re: Platinum or Iridium?

Originally posted by hrmax
There is a small amount of platinum on the actualy tip of the spark plugs and on the iridium, it is that material. To tell you the truth, I don't know if anyone has noticed any gains from the iridium ones, i thought that the were made because they have a longer life than the platinum ones.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:43 PM

I use just regular ones, the only thing that is special is that there 1 stage colder for my nos and they work great.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Sprayin70
I use just regular ones, the only thing that is special is that there 1 stage colder for my nos and they work great.
yeah but our engines require plat plugs stock...
Old 10-09-2001, 06:36 PM
KCTYPHOON

jesus christ bill strikes again

Old 01-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Banned

I AM GAY!