4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!DanielHelp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 07:28 PM
maximudragun

Help!DanielHelp!

i just open my hook today to check the oil and i NOTICE white foamy foam around the positive connection on the battery. Could it be acid? I also have my amp connection with that. What is it, and what causing it? I did smell a burning smell five days ago.

Old 10-08-2001, 07:38 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Help!DanielHelp!

Originally posted by maximudragun
i just open my hook today to check the oil and i NOTICE white foamy foam around the positive connection on the battery. Could it be acid? I also have my amp connection with that. What is it, and what causing it? I did smell a burning smell five days ago.
Dont worry its Acidation that is formed after years. Clean it with sand paper and put cream on it from acidation that can be purchased at your local auto parts store.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:46 PM
maximudragun

is this a bad thing? should i replace it or just sand it out and put the cream on it. is there a particular name for this cream?

thanks

Old 10-08-2001, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Battery terminals are a problem in many cars, because vapors from battery acid causes corrosion to form on the lead surfaces and copper wiring associated with the battery wires. It is a good idea to clean these periodically, but wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning the terminals because the corrosion on the terminals is also acidic.

Your best bet would be to hit an automotive or reputable hardware store with an automotive depatment and get a terminal cleaner for your battery, they're about $3. Ask an employee for help if you need it. B.T.Y. you could also pick up some battery spray. It helps discourage the build up you get on your terminals.

rkisa
Old 10-09-2001, 12:27 PM

do not use sandpaper. get the terminal brush from a an auto parts store and clean the terminals AND clamps. just wipe down the battercase with WD 40.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:33 PM

Mix a solution of baking soda and water to remove the corrosion. Then clean the terminals with a terminal cleaning brush and coat them with di-electric grease.