4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Testdrove a new Altima 3.5SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 11:41 AM

Testdrove a new Altima 3.5SE

Well, got up early and was the one customer at the Nissan dealership (Chase Nissan in Davis, CA) today for my "free" inspection. I also had them look at the front headlight assembly to see if they can adjust it. Seeing how it would take some time, I got some other things done too.

First, I went to the parts department for a FSM (factory shop manual). The parts manager gave me a number to call and order it direct from the printer! Cost was $95. Not bad at all! Normal dealer price is $120 from Courtesy Nissan. I purchased it for the same price that dealers buy the FSM for! The company that prints these shop manuals is call Dyment. Sorry I don't have the number, as the parts manager dialed the phone for me.

Then I decided to check out the new Altima. The salesman there was actually the same tow truck driver that towed my car a couple years back (alternator broke), so he recognized me and even remembered my name! So we went for a spin in the new Altima, a white 3.5SE. Too bad it wasn't the 5-spd. What a car! The interior is very well laid out, but somehow feels less roomy than my car. I think the colors used are somewhat somber and not very exciting (it has a brown dash with metallic trim, and tan leather seats). But then comes the good part.

Acceleration! Wow! 240horsepower, I have no question to dispute that. Step on the gas, and the engine revs very smoothly and quickly. Nearly silent as well. The transmission was very smooth, so smooth I did realize I had the gearshift in 3rd instead of 4th. It accelerates much much quicker than my car, and the suspension is very well composed. It rides as well, if not BETTER than my 99 Camry, which already has a Lexus smooth ride. Very very smooth over the rough roads (drove on some horrible roads). However, the handling reflected the smooth ride, which is to say, the car felt a bit too cushy and "executive" for me. I'm sure it outperforms Camry and Accord in handling, but it doesn't feel like it, because the smoothness of the engine and the cushy ride blunt any sporty pretentions of a "sports sedan." Took a very rough corner at some speed, and the tires squeaked over the uneven road. Did I mention that the ride was wonderful? It is amazing, how they can do that with 17" wheels I don't know. When I took the turn, the salesman said that if we were in a Mustang GT, the car would have spun. He kept on telling me to push the car harder on the turns, and finally on an open stretch he said "open it up!" I floored it from about 50, and got it up to 95, then backed down. Very responsive engine, excellent shifting automatic. I wish my transmission shifted that well.

I ended up with the usual line "what will it take for you to buy this car today?" sort of deal. I got them to write $500 over invoice as a price quote on a business card. And finally I had them sign the free watch paper so I can get my prize.

Went back to the service desk, and they diagnosed my headlights as having "worn rear plastic supports." Cost for each side is $45. I will get a price quote from Courtesy Nissan and can probably get them for $35 each, and will install them myself with my FSM which should arrive in a week or so.

Oh, and the ultimate highlight of the dealership visit? When I went back to the service desk, I asked, so what needs to be fixed. The service manager then said, absolutely nothing....your car is in amazing shape. What a surprise from the scamming dishonest dealer! I had expected them to recommend "replace this and replace that.." but I didn't get that treatment at all. Chase Nissan has progressed a long way from when it was Davis Nissan.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:58 AM

I test drove one yesterday too, and they really wanted to buy my car as trade-in, I couldn't understand??? Anyways, I wasn't that thirlled with the altima, yeah it was fast (even auto), but the interior quality wasn't doing it. The new 5th gen is so nice though I'm waiting to try the 6 speed than maybe I'll bite the bullet and finance.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:35 PM
BSwithTF'sGirl

Re: Testdrove a new Altima 3.5SE

Don't be a trader, man!
Really, though, when I saw the new Altima for the first time, I thought the tail lights were UGLY!!!!! I still prefer my Max over any Altima!

Old 10-12-2001, 12:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

price

$500 over invoice! Man, they must really be dealing if they are offering you that this early. I was thinking that with the car being so new and in relatively short supply that they would be taking $1500 or so over invoice.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:26 PM

I took a test drive of an auto 3.5SE Altima two weeks ago too. It's nice but felt much like the Maxima when my Maxima was newer. The extra 50HP wasn't THAT noticeable in my opinion. Mabye I wasn't driving it hard enough. The instrument cluster with organge lettering is pretty cool.
Old 10-12-2001, 05:14 PM

Re: Re: Testdrove a new Altima 3.5SE

Originally posted by BSwithTF'sGirl
Don't be a trader, man!
Really, though, when I saw the new Altima for the first time, I thought the tail lights were UGLY!!!!! I still prefer my Max over any Altima!

Actually I thought the taillights were the most striking part of the Altima. But, different people have different tastes.

I think you meant "traitor", but "trader" was an amusing pun nonetheless.

Don't worry, I had no intentions of buying the car. Just wanted a test drive so I can get my free watch.