4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone removed their Stillen or Addco RSB & just left it off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 03:34 PM

Anyone removed their Stillen or Addco RSB & just left it off?

I wanted to know if nayone has lowered suspension & had a RSB on & decided to remove it. Any difference? Do you think its even worth getting a RSB after lowering their suspension (srpings & sturts)?
Old 10-18-2001, 07:15 PM

Re: Anyone removed their Stillen or Addco RSB & just left it off?

Originally posted by Synki
I wanted to know if nayone has lowered suspension & had a RSB on & decided to remove it. Any difference? Do you think its even worth getting a RSB after lowering their suspension (srpings & sturts)?

well if someone removed it....and doesn't want it......ILL TAKE IT
Old 10-18-2001, 07:39 PM

Well I got H&R and FSTB first. Then I got RSB. RSB still made a difference in turning and felt a lot tighter in the rear. I wouldn't take them off unless I was selling the car. Maybe if someone is a grandma-type Sunday driver, then maybe they wouldn't need em. But then again, they probably wouldn't be here, either!
Old 10-19-2001, 08:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I had my coilovers with 450LB/IN springs, I took the RSB off.
Didn't notice any big difference in roadholding but did notice a difference on initial turn-in response.

When you have stiff springs, the RSB only helps out mainly in transient motions. In steady state, its not that big a difference.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
When I had my coilovers with 450LB/IN springs, I took the RSB off.
Didn't notice any big difference in roadholding but did notice a difference on initial turn-in response.

When you have stiff springs, the RSB only helps out mainly in transient motions. In steady state, its not that big a difference.
Thanks!

I too have the GC's w/ Tokicos but swapping over to AGX/Sprints and was considering taking it off. THat thing is heavy.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Synki-

I took mine off last week because my Intrax drop (2") took away a lot of lean and wheel travel vs my ST springs. I noticed slightly more lean in the turns, but the car communicates much better and let's me know what's going on a bit better. The rear also rides much better over bumps without that extra 16+lbs of unsprung weight (pretty significant). I actually feel what Nissan refers to as "4-wheel like steering" from the rear twist beam and lateral link setup. I've pushed the car hard into a couple tight sweepers and at the apex of the turn the car shot harder towards the inside. It's something I never felt in this car because I had the RSB on since I bought the car over 2.5 years ago.

BTW, I'm trying to dig up some old photos of my Prelude seats (they're not installed anymore).

Dave
Old 10-20-2001, 01:13 PM
SLOW

Maybe the people who didn't notice a difference with the RSB didn't have theirs set aggressively enough? I have springs about as stiff as you will ever see on a maxima, and I noticed a significant reduction in understeer when I installed my RSB, this was a few months AFTER I installed my coilovers and shocks.

Unlike some people, I feel the RSB has more of an effect in long drawn out turns, like cloverleaf highway interchanges and such, rather than transitional lane change/slalom type movements. The RSB really plants that rear outside wheel, enabling far higher levels of grip in the front, greatly reducing the understeer which without the RSB, would cause you to slide off the ramp. I feel the effect of the RSB isn't nearly as apparent in little slalom type movements. The drawback of this is that if you car is upset by uneven portions of pavement this effect is greatly magnified with the RSB.