4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EVAP questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
EVAP questions

My 98 Max has been throwing the following codes for about a year:

0705 - EVAP system leak
0309 - EVAP canister vent control valve open

I've read on the org that sometimes these EVAP codes are misleading so I went to my local trusted mechanic for a smoke test. He says that the canister is in fact not operating correctly and recommends replacing "the canister with valve and solenoid." He wants $450 bucks to do that work. Needless to say, I'm wondering if I can do it myself for less.

Poking around the web, my local Nissan dealer sells the vapor canister for about $40.

Questions: does that vapor canister include the valve? (i believe it is called the purge valve) what solenoid might my mechanic be referring to? is that included with the canister or do i have to order that separately? finally, what is involved with replacing this stuff? can a newbie with limited hand tools do it?

I did an org google search and didn't find much about replacing these things.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:34 PM

The cannister does not include the valve. The purge valve runs over $100 new if I remember correctly. I have the same issue with my max (the valve) but instead of buying new I'm planning on hitting the junkyards or getting one from an orger.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM

To answer your question about doing it yourself, yes you can with a small metric socket set. It shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes to do it all even if it's your first time.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 PM

jstew - thanks for your help!

i suppose the solenoid controls the valve opening and closing.

anyone know how i could locate the valve and solenoid using the drill down tool here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214664 ?
i guess the problem is that i don't know the proper names for these things.

thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 PM

There are plenty of posts regarding this problem, you just have to search a bit. I had a problem with mine a few years ago, just removed the solenoid from the canister under the trunk drivers side. The shaft of the solenoid rusts and it can not open or close. If you remove it and clean it, open and close it a few times by applying 12V that usually frees it and you are good to go. Probably a 1-2 hour job if you have never done it before.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 PM

try that ^ and if it doesn't work then replace the valve it is called an evap canister vent control valve to be exact..the pre 97 max's have a diff evap canister and valve but since I see that you have a 98 from ur page then u dont have to worry, because i think dealership only sells the new one and people with the pre 07 have to change the canister and valve..hope this helps and the valve is held on by two bolts and a hose attached to it..righ behind the rear driverside tire
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 AM

so the solenoid is part of the canister or part of the valve?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Selonoid and valve are the same part it mounts to the evap canister.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks! I'm gonna try removing the valve/solenoid this weekend and see if i can't clean it out and get it operating again. I'll post back with results and lessons learned.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Just get the rust/rough parts of solenoid shaft clean so it moves freely and put some oil on the shaft after you clean it.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 AM

This is sort of a lame question, but are there any tricks to disconnecting the hoses? I got the big twisty one off, but the other two are so small there is no room to wiggle or flex them. i suppose i could just cut them off and replace them with new ones. how about the electrical connector? even twisting the canister around, there isn't much room to see how the connector is locked in. i imagine there is a tab to push in but i can't see it or feel it.

in the meantime, i tapped on the control valve with a hammer, hopefully freeing it from the rust that presumably has it stuck.

in other news, i can see what my next repair is gonna be... the muffler is rusting and peeling apart right along its side seam. doubt it'll make it through the winter. can't say i'm surprised, it is 9 years old. i've also got an airbag light i can't seem to get rid of, even after disconnecting and reconnecting all the harnesses and resetting the airbag computer. friendly local mechanic thinks its time to replace the airbag computer, but i don't believe that. anyway that's a battle for another weekend. hope the max doesn't become a money pit.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:13 PM

I did not say it qwould be easy, I don't remember exactly how, but you should not have to cut any hoses or wires. Ive had mine off a couple of times without cutting anything. You probably need to remove the canister along with the seloniod. The main issue was rust on the bolts that hold the cannister brackets. Air bag light is another common problem with these Maxima's it appears a wiring harness comes loose or something, I have reset the airbag light and just pulled/moved the wires and harness that connect to the drivers side airbag, some times the air bag light goes away for a few days, sometimes for a few years. I doubt there is anything wrong with the computer thats just mechanic BS, he's just guessing. These car are very reliable but have some common (minor) problems, fortunately there is a lot of great information on the org that if you are half way handy you can repair yourself. It's still cheaper than a car payment.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 PM

If I remember correctly you need to take the canister off to remove the selonoid. Once you get the canister free it may be easier to remove the hoses & electrical connector.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 PM

One more thing, you will have to reset your ecu to get the check engine light off. I would find that very annoying having the check engine light on and having the airbag light blinking at the same time.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
jos

Ditto on the clean it recomendation. Did mine - removed the canister to get at the wiring. not a problem since - over a year ago.