4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Kyb Agk Installed 2 Day

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 04:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Kyb Agk Installed 2 Day

I met up with 95goldmax today. He came over to ask me some questions regarding spring and strut installations and take a look at my setup. As we were checking out each others cars I notice these boxes in his back seat. A closer look and I see they say AGK on the box. I'm like hello??? When did you get these?

So we changed our plans a bit, being we both had no real plans for the day and I have all the tools needed to do this job, we went to work.

First off we went to Nissan and picked up 2 new strut bearings. Then we took the front struts out, the OEM dust covers were destroyed. John (95goldmax) had baught the Cattman dust covers. These do not fit OEM strut mounts - this was our first problem. So back to Nissan who did't have them in stock. Dissapointed we went back home. After some tooling around we found out that the Cattman dust covers fit so snug on the shock piston, we just put them on and tied down the bottom to the strut with zip ties. Problem solved! I'd recomend checking your dust covers before you do the job. John was already running H&R springs with NO NOISE PROBLEMS. I used the nylon hose isolator method for this install because his OEM spring isolators were all worn out. This worked perfectly, no noise at all.

Next we did the rear struts. After about an hour of removing stereo equipment and sub boxes, only kidding it wasn't that bad. We got the struts out and the new ones in. His rear struts were totally blown out.

Now for the test drive. We set all the struts on the #1 setting just to see how the car would ride. I could tell by pressing on the strut before we put them in that they were pretty tight. So out for the ride we went. First thing I'm going to say here guys, these struts are firm! I think the car rode pretty smooth, absorbed bumps very nicely. Took it on the highway and you can really feel how firm these struts are. Performace oriented all the way and thats only on the #1 setting.

So the setup is as follows - H&R springs, my home made isolators, and the KYB AGX struts - you get one hell of a tight smooth ride with no noise issues at all.

John - I hope you like your install, it was a pleasure meeting you today!!

See you on the 27th at the N.E. Maxima meet!
Old 10-20-2001, 05:01 PM

I got a 98GLE with stock struts/shocks right now. Would you have been able to install 95goldmax's KYBs without buying anything additional? Or were the old parts just so bad that they needed to be replaced? I got H&R springs and am trying to find out what I need (if anything, or how I can tell if I need anything) before I install my KYB AGXs. thanks
Old 10-20-2001, 05:17 PM

I will be getting my AGXs this coming week(H&R already installed
). I also have ordered the boots from cattman. Why are they so tight? Shouldn't they fine on just write. Also the strut bearings how much did you spend on them? Is nissan the only place were you can get them? Or is there a place where i can get a better set or even cheaper set?
Old 10-20-2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by mrb23
I got a 98GLE with stock struts/shocks right now. Would you have been able to install 95goldmax's KYBs without buying anything additional? Or were the old parts just so bad that they needed to be replaced? I got H&R springs and am trying to find out what I need (if anything, or how I can tell if I need anything) before I install my KYB AGXs. thanks
Your 98 max may still be in good shape. If I were you I'd just check the dust covers in the front. There EZ to see, especially if your running on stock springs still. There's plenty of room to look at your struts in the wheel well gap. Chances are your not going to need anything special. However, I would HIGHLY reccomend getting 2 new strut bearings. There cheap and easy to change when you have your suspension apart.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by davemax
I will be getting my AGXs this coming week(H&R already installed
). I also have ordered the boots from cattman. Why are they so tight? Shouldn't they fine on just write. Also the strut bearings how much did you spend on them? Is nissan the only place were you can get them? Or is there a place where i can get a better set or even cheaper set?
The dust covers are supposed to "snap" into the upper strut mounts. The Cattman dust covers DO NOT fit into the OEM Nissan strut mounts. These dust covers simply pull over the piston rod of the strut and the lower portion gets a zip tie to hold it onto the lower portion of the strut itself. This setup works nicely and will keep dirt and water from the strut piston.

I believe Nissan is the only place to obtain the bearings. The dealers usually have them in stock. There 20 bucks each. You need 2 - one for each side. Replace them - it's cheap insurance against noisey suspension issues.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

The dust covers are supposed to "snap" into the upper strut mounts. The Cattman dust covers DO NOT fit into the OEM Nissan strut mounts. These dust covers simply pull over the piston rod of the strut and the lower portion gets a zip tie to hold it onto the lower portion of the strut itself. This setup works nicely and will keep dirt and water from the strut piston.

I believe Nissan is the only place to obtain the bearings. The dealers usually have them in stock. There 20 bucks each. You need 2 - one for each side. Replace them - it's cheap insurance against noisey suspension issues.

Would you happen to know the part number for the OEM strut bearings?
Old 10-20-2001, 10:36 PM

agx

awesome, how much do you charge for your work? and how much for the dust covers? do the rears also need new bearings?
Old 10-20-2001, 11:10 PM
JET Speed Lab

cool. pics pics...
Old 10-21-2001, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.

Would you happen to know the part number for the OEM strut bearings?
Sorry I don't, I just ask the parts department for "strut Bearings".
Old 10-21-2001, 05:44 AM

Re: agx

Originally posted by kickyoazzz
awesome, how much do you charge for your work? and how much for the dust covers? do the rears also need new bearings?
No bearings in the rear and I don't know how much Nissan charges for the dust covers. The bearings are 20 each. I love to work on cars, the Maxima is easy to work on. I can and will do installations for friends and possibly some local guys/gals from the .org. As far as fees go, I'm not going to post them on the forum. I might gererate to many requests for work!
Old 10-21-2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

i ordered rear boot covers from cattman. my noise issue comes from the right rear corner of my car! obviously something is missing or something is badly worn out. i've looked at a diagram of our suspension, but am unable to determine which parts i should order! i'm thinking it will be some of the rubber parts of the upper mount because the shaft seems to be banging on the mount or body or something..does anyone have experience with this? thanks. my AGXs come in wednesday supposedly!
Old 10-21-2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver
i ordered rear boot covers from cattman. my noise issue comes from the right rear corner of my car! obviously something is missing or something is badly worn out. i've looked at a diagram of our suspension, but am unable to determine which parts i should order! i'm thinking it will be some of the rubber parts of the upper mount because the shaft seems to be banging on the mount or body or something..does anyone have experience with this? thanks. my AGXs come in wednesday supposedly!
The old dust cover may have gotten all tangled up in the bump stop. We found this with 95goldmax's car. We just took the stops out, the Cattman dust covers has some thick rubber which can act as a bump stop. There are 3 other rubber pieces on the strut. One is under the top nut, one is under the upper mount which the spring sits in, the third is another bushing which sits under the upper strut mount on the shaft of the strut itself. Noise issues in the rear would most likely be the top nut bushing or spring noise from coils not being isolated properly. There's not much else back there.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:18 PM

I just shelled out 20.86 for each strut bearing. Part number on the package is: 54325-31U01, these things look like it's worth $1 man... doh! You only need 2 (one for each front).

says BRG STRUT MTG QTY 1 on them

hope this, dust boots, and KYB AGX's are all I need to install them shocks!
Old 11-12-2001, 06:30 PM

What are yours set on?? I'm just trying to see what other peoples opinions are on the other settings. I have H&R's too.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:47 PM

congrats on the install! how is your H&R/AGX combo work out? Compared to stock...how much firmer is it?
Old 11-12-2001, 07:19 PM

part numbers, maybe the suspension thread above!
Old 11-13-2001, 06:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you guys can finid the part numbers for the rear suspension parts, let me know. Hey, Tom, will I need to order the round bushings all-around again for me AGX install? If I remember correctly, they are like...impossible to get off without cutting them off.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Lime

If you guys can finid the part numbers for the rear suspension parts, let me know. Hey, Tom, will I need to order the round bushings all-around again for me AGX install? If I remember correctly, they are like...impossible to get off without cutting them off.
How long has it been since you had them apart? You just did springs recently. If everything was in good shape then you don't need to buy anything else. You are refering to the bushing in the rears?? Two round bushings, one is actualy a bump stop??

Mine were fine, came right out and are still in good shape.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:17 AM

the roundish fairly hard thingies lol...chilton's uses different terms than nissan, but they go at the top of the rear shocks.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:58 AM

i can tell you the part numbers but i don't have them right now. send me a PM or email and i will get to it. any nissan dealer will be able to help you though. it's good that you realized that before you install the suspension. i had to go back and reinstall new parts.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:21 AM

ah...I have already replaced the suspension myself once......I was just wondering if the KYB's came with the rubber things like the tokicos did.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:24 PM

ah...I have already replaced the suspension myself once......I was just wondering if the KYB's came with the rubber things like the tokicos did.
Ahhh OK no they don't come with anything except some nice stickers and a small screwdriver to adjust them. And the warranty of course.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:33 PM

Question about the bearings, What do they do and how do you know if they need to be replaced or not?

SuDZ
Old 11-13-2001, 08:57 PM

you will need nissan parts# from the exploded manual: 55240 (rear dust boot w/ bumpstop) or just buy the AGX boots like i did; 55248N (cover washer); 56218 (isolation bushing). these are parts you definately need for the rears otherwise you will experience a dreadful banging sound.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:02 AM

where did you order them, VQ? Thanks...I know alllll about the clanging thing...been there.........
Old 11-14-2001, 01:56 PM

where did you order them, VQ? Thanks...I know alllll about the clanging thing...been there.........
yeah man, the clanging thing is no good! i thought i was gonna go crazy after a while of that s***! but anyway, you can order from courtesy and have it mailed to you or go straight to your local nissan dealer. in fact the local dealer might have a similar if not cheaper price (as was in my case). get the boot w/ integrated bumpstop, the cover washer and the rubber bushing and you're set! the ride is perfectly silent again and handles like a dream! and for the rest of you people, don't take a silent riding suspension for granted!
ps lime, make sure your upper rubber spring seats (doughnut shaped) are in good shape part# 55034.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:40 AM

heheh yeah really. Hmmm I wonder if nissanparts.cc has the things I need.......... I have the dust covers already (1.5 months = new enough for me)...I just need to get the round dealios.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:01 PM

Got mine installed for $120 plus tax last Wednesday, he set it on 2 and 4. The ride is VERY firm, a little too firm actually. I coudln't find the rear adjustment thingy so I haven't been able to change the rears to 2 or 3. 2 and 4 just seems too harsh on the highway and you bounce a little too much for my tastes. These give a VERY firm ride, I dunno what would happen if I set it on 4 and 8. Heh.

My Max definitely feels like a different beast. I haven't had too much time to drive it around, but will do soon this week, me thinks.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by mrb23
Got mine installed for $120 plus tax last Wednesday, he set it on 2 and 4. The ride is VERY firm, a little too firm actually. I coudln't find the rear adjustment thingy so I haven't been able to change the rears to 2 or 3. 2 and 4 just seems too harsh on the highway and you bounce a little too much for my tastes. These give a VERY firm ride, I dunno what would happen if I set it on 4 and 8. Heh.

My Max definitely feels like a different beast. I haven't had too much time to drive it around, but will do soon this week, me thinks.
Turn them down to 1 front and 3 rear. Makes a big difference. 2 & 4 is pretty tight!
Old 11-26-2001, 01:31 PM

So far i haven't heard anything wrong with the AGX's. Man, they seem to be the new king on the block.

Old 11-26-2001, 02:55 PM

Well, if they are TOO TIGHT, you will hate them to no end, unless you like getting jiggy with it. I turned it down to 1 in the front and 2 in the rear today, mucho better! Though I hate to imagine what 4 and 8 feels like! YIKES!

I had to jack car up to get at the rear adjustment thingies...