4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Somebody help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Somebody help!!!!!!

Somebody help!!!!!!

Ok, I swapped my transmission over the weekend. The car has 160k and while i had the tranny out I decided to change the rear main seal. Bought the seal from autozone, checked it to make sure it was the same and everything checked out. Lubed the seal up before I bolted it onto the block and tightened it accordingly. I have done this a number of times, so I know I did it right. Bolted the new tranny on and everything was fine. When I got done I started the car and ran it for about 35mins while it was still on the jack stands and checked for any leaks and I didn't see any.

Tonight I take it on a test drive and after driving for about 5mins I pull into a gas station just to check if everything is ok. As soon as i stop, I notice smoke coming from the front so I pop the hood and take a look. Couldn't see anything from the top so i look under and behold, there is a pool of oil. I head back home before the car starts knocking, and put it on some ramps. I take another look and notice its leaking motor oil from the bell housing which tells me its the rear main seal.

This either means its not sitting all the way right or they sold me a bad seal. I hope its not sitting right coz i really don't wanna take that thing out. I'm going to pour some engine stop leak and run the car for a bit and hopefully the seal will swell up and sit right. If anyone has another solution PLEASE HELP ME OUT before I'm forced to take that seal out.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I support for what?

Well did you apply any RTV sealant to the retainer that the seal is connected to? Also did you replace the lower c shape seal on the bottom of the retainer or did you use the original one?

Even if the seal is seated correctly these 2 problems can occur. With engine oil pouring out it seems as if the c shaped seal on the bottom is the culprit. Did you replace it? Also you must use RTV sealant. I applied RTV sealant to the outside of the lower c shape seal just to insure it was sealed correctly because without actually removing the lower half of the oil pan you cannot seal it correctly.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM

did you drop the upper oil pan to do it the correct way?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Well did you apply any RTV sealant to the retainer that the seal is connected to? Also did you replace the lower c shape seal on the bottom of the retainer or did you use the original one?

Even if the seal is seated correctly these 2 problems can occur. With engine oil pouring out it seems as if the c shaped seal on the bottom is the culprit. Did you replace it? Also you must use RTV sealant. I applied RTV sealant to the outside of the lower c shape seal just to insure it was sealed correctly because without actually removing the lower half of the oil pan you cannot seal it correctly.
Didn't apply any RTV sealant to the retainer neither did i replace the c shaped seal. I just used the old one. Is one supposed to come wit the seal or do i have to buy 1? I guess i have to take the tranny out again . This time i'll do it the correct way and take the oil pan off.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by gen4maxima536
did you drop the upper oil pan to do it the correct way?
Sure didn't, thought i'd save time by not dropping it. Guess i'm paying for it now.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM
I support for what?

You need to apply RTV sealant to the back of the retainer. There are grooves in it for the sealant so oil does not seep out. But by not replacing the c shaped seal I am sure that the problem. You def need to replace that seal and add some RTV sealant to the back of the retainer if you do not want leaks. Yea you have to buy the seal.

And you can do this without removing the oil pan. It just a little bit harder to get the seal all the way seated on the pan. After you install the new seal just add some RTV sealant to the outer of the seal.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Aight, thanks for the help man.