4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Downshifting into 2nd without giving it gas...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Shift_3.0

Downshifting into 2nd without giving it gas...

I find it when I'm driving with boots on, its a lot easier to gently ease off the clutch when down shifting from third to second. I usually do this right before I go into a turn at around ~10 mph. I tend to over rev the engine with a heavy shoe so I avoid it altogether when going fairly slow and down shifting into second. Am I putting considerable strain on the clutch or can I safely continue at it?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:55 PM

No... i down shift when i am at 40 into second with no gas.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Well when you think about it, i think what you are doing is down shifting in second and slowly releasing the clutch till the engine revs match. It is wearing the clutch, just think about it the clutch disk is not fully engaged yet so it is "riding" on the friction disk till finally the engine rpm match the tranny speed so to speak.

What you should be trying to do is rev matching the down shifts. it takes practice, but if your good at it, basically you down shift into 2nd blip the throttle and let off the clutch as fast as you want, if the engine rpm match w/e speed the tranny is spinning at in the proper gear there is no need for 1 to catch up so it will be perfect. for example doing 50kmh in 3rd then down shifting into 2nd would require a blip of the throttle to about 3000rpm. I still do some sketchy 3-2 downshifts, but the 4-3 is very easy.

Trust me i know what its like driving with work boots on. I work in a shop so im required to wear work boots, on top of that i have fairly large, and wide feet (5ft 4, mens size 10.5-11), and i have aftermarket pedals so on top of the footwork with 5lb boots i have to avoid hitting 2 pedals at once. It also sucks when you start driving with oily/wet boots on, ive had my foot slip off the clutch a couple of times, and needless to say i usually bring another pair of shoes with me now.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Whatchyou say?

you should "heel and toe" the shift .... but not everyone can do this, nor cares to. H+T is when you use the toes of your right foot and heal to press the brakes to slow you down, and the gas gets a bump from the heal to up the RPMs to ease the shift. It's hard to do with stock peddals ... at least for me. It also takes a bit of practice so you don't rev up to 4 or 5 grand or toss your passangers thru the windscreen. It's a art form if you will .... I know it sounds crazy, but you'll save your clutch, CV joints, and your shifts will be like budda smoooth.

It will not "hurt" your car to do like you are ... but it can pre-ware the clutch / pressure plate. A good idea when down shifting is to pop the throtle as you depress the clutch to up the revs a bit ... (idealy you want to try and match the revs you will need for the lower gear.)

Hope this makes sense ... been a long day!

Cheers mate!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM

isnt that what syncros are for?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Whatchyou say?

kinda .... syncroz are more or less to help you by taking the IPS (input shaft) speed and matching it with the Layshaft speed so you don't mesh the gears. A way around syncroz is to double clutch ... which can get laborsome in a hurry if you are doin it all day long. (been there ... got the t-shirt ... DON'T wear it! lol)
Old 10-28-2007, 06:38 PM

not really... besides u dont wanna put extra wear on ur clutch... i try to rev match i just started driving stick since i did the 5 speed swap.. i know how to drive it but im not proficient at it yet..

but i do the same thing.. i put it in second and let the clutch up.. i dont drop it but i try doing it so there is not jerking.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by devilz05
I find it when I'm driving with boots on, its a lot easier to gently ease off the clutch when down shifting from third to second. I usually do this right before I go into a turn at around ~10 mph. I tend to over rev the engine with a heavy shoe so I avoid it altogether when going fairly slow and down shifting into second. Am I putting considerable strain on the clutch or can I safely continue at it?
You can do it safely. Also don't hurry pulling the shifter into 2nd gear.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Synchros are for shifting(gear related)..so you do not have to rev match your shift..but synchros have nothing to do with the clutch. IF you know how the clutch works..you will understand what is happening..you depress the clutch, in simple terms it seperates the tranny from the engine, the engine rpm drop because you arent giving it any throttle, the tranny is still spinning at whatever speed the wheels are, therefore when you let off the clutch the engine will have to "catch up" to the speed of the tranny, which correlates to RPM in the engine so to speak. For example again, 50kmh(30mph) in 3rd gear, you down shift into 2nd, the rpms in 2nd should be at about 3000rpm, so what you will want to do is blip the throttle to about 3000rpm then let off the clutch, if you do it correctly you can very quickly release the clutch and there wont be any jerky movements and such, where as if you dont rev match it and you just let off the clutch your head will probably be in the windsheild lol..
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by JtzMax
you should "heel and toe" the shift
The guy's talking about driving in heavy boots. Heel-and-toe is about the farthest thing from relevant.

Dave
Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 PM

kinda .... syncroz are more or less to help you by taking the IPS (input shaft) speed and matching it with the Layshaft speed so you don't mesh the gears. A way around syncroz is to double clutch ... which can get laborsome in a hurry if you are doin it all day long. (been there ... got the t-shirt ... DON'T wear it! lol)

double clutching is a waste of time and energy.. thats what syncors do... thank god somebody came up with those..
Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Whatchyou say?

Dave - You're right mate .... probably not an easy thing to do in boots .... but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

f550 - ..... um, I was just explaining what the syncroz do ... and how to get by if you loose them for any reason. Glad you noted my input as such, but did you understand my post? Not tryin to be difficult, I just am not sure if I was making any sense or not.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
double clutching is a waste of time and energy.. thats what syncors do... thank god somebody came up with those..
No i heard u can shift without the clutch in an un sycronised tranny.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Shift_3.0

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

This is my second 5 speed so I am well aware of rev-matching. The problem is that I don't look at my RPM's anymore when I shift. This is not a problem when I'm wearing sneakers and can "feel" the pedals. However, if I'm wearing heavy boots "feeling" the gas pedal to give it just enough gas to rev-match into second gear at low speeds is frustrating to say the least.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Dave - You're right mate .... probably not an easy thing to do in boots .... but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

f550 - ..... um, I was just explaining what the syncroz do ... and how to get by if you loose them for any reason. Glad you noted my input as such, but did you understand my post? Not tryin to be difficult, I just am not sure if I was making any sense or not.
no no im agreeing with ya...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Whatchyou say?

10char