4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

changing rubber trim on rear window... is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM
nycmaximas member

changing rubber trim on rear window... is it possible?

I see another eye sore that I want to get rid of. (I have plenty of them) The rear window was smashed a while back and the dumb bum that fixed it threw out my factory rubber trim that goes all around the edge of the window. I am talking about the trim that holds the rear window w/defrost into the car. He put some generic trim while trashing my factory trim. Later that winter the cold made the trim contract (shrink) so you could see it peeling back. Its an eye sore for me. Seeing everyones factory trim got me upset.

Could I replace the trim without trashing the window? I figure I could bring it to a window fix place with the factory trim and have the guys remove the window and replace the trim while installing the same window again?

I figure they can do it because plenty places sell used rear windows. (that were removed intact)

Anyone ever do this?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
nycmaximas member

Is there anyone who knows about this?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 PM

im interested too as my rear window weather stripping is shot. i think you can just buy new weather stripping from a dealership and then have a car glass company install it. theres no reason why you cant reuse the old window
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a window shop put in a new back glass and he used a generic strip that looks just like the factory one. I'm sure if you take it to a shop that isn't retarded they can fix it for you.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Mine is peeling off also. The weather stripping part of my Rear windshield that meets the roof is peeling back as if proper adhesive wasn't used.

Would i need to replace it? Or is there some special glue used?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
Mine is peeling off also. The weather stripping part of my Rear windshield that meets the roof is peeling back as if proper adhesive wasn't used.

Would i need to replace it? Or is there some special glue used?
yes ther is a glue you can use the best one is by 3m of course you can pick it up from any autoparts store it is a black toothpaste looking tube and it says 3m weather stripping and trim adhesive or some crap like that..but it works
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 AM

the only RIGHT way to fix this is to have a glass shop cut the old glass out, remove the trim, clean up, install new factory trim and glue the glass back in. In MA, it usually goes anywhare from $50-$100 for this plus the cost of the weather strip from the dealer which is around $50 for a new one. Any glass shop should be able to remove and reinstall the glass with no problems. It's the front one that most of them would not touch unless you agree you won't hold them responsible if it breaks and others won't touch its at all do to it being multu-layered and prone crock cracks, chips, etc. which would render the windshield useless.

Anyways, if it bothers you that much, go to a Nissan dealer, pick up a rear glass reveal moulding, go to a glass shop and get it done.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Double0Max
yes ther is a glue you can use the best one is by 3m of course you can pick it up from any autoparts store it is a black toothpaste looking tube and it says 3m weather stripping and trim adhesive or some crap like that..but it works
thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
nycmaximas member

wow my thread came back to life... lol
Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM

I just got my Rear Window Taken out & Reinstalled with new window molding because the old one leaked into my new interior... They had a molding that doesnt overlap onto the body like the factory trim, and it works better IMO! Any window or glass shop has multiple options for a clean flush look. The trim is thinner, & It now looks like the floating glass in modern Acuras. If you dont have the factory trim, there are options! & it may end up looking better if you explore your options....
Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by QueensMaxima83
I just got my Rear Window Taken out & Reinstalled with new window molding because the old one leaked into my new interior... They had a molding that doesnt overlap onto the body like the factory trim, and it works better IMO! Any window or glass shop has multiple options for a clean flush look. The trim is thinner, & It now looks like the floating glass in modern Acuras. If you dont have the factory trim, there are options! & it may end up looking better if you explore your options....
you gotta post some pictures!!! Let's see the results??? It's just that I started getting bubbles under the paint... Rust. Also where did
you go? The window places here seem soo inferior.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Damn was going to start my own thread but this is exactly what I'm looking for. Looking on the dealership I believe I need to get at a minimum the Reveal Molding Upper and Side. But do I also need the adhesive kit?

This is a picture of how mine looks.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...9/DSC05200.jpg
Old 04-25-2010, 09:43 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by speed racer
Damn was going to start my own thread but this is exactly what I'm looking for. Looking on the dealership I believe I need to get at a minimum the Reveal Molding Upper and Side. But do I also need the adhesive kit?

This is a picture of how mine looks.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...9/DSC05200.jpg
Yup that's how mine look... I have other projects that took priority... but im gonna get it done..