4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

?? Car destroying starters?? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

?? Car destroying starters?? Please help!

Heres whats going on. I had a new clutch put in a little over a month ago. When I got the car back it would barely start, it would just crank and crank and I would here a bang sound somethimes{spring in starter not contracting?}. So I decided to get a starter from a junk yard off of a 98 maxima for $35. Problem solved, or so I thought. The car started perfectly for a good week and then all of a sudden the problem was back at full force! So today I decided to remove the starter and see if the flywheel teeth were chipped, they were all perfect, so I checked the teeth on my starter and same thing, they were perfect too. So I stuck it back in in hopes that maybe the car would start good for another week{maybe more}, but no luck . So I decided what the heck, why not remove the starter from my I30 and try it in my maxima, so I removed both starters from the cars and then put the I30 starter in my maxima, and now my maxima starts perfectly. So I am wondering is my car braking starters or something? Two starters that seemed fine in the past month have gotten destroyed in my car, so I am wondering if this is just back luck or maybe something more?

If you did not read the obove, please tell if a car can breake starters and if so why/how?

Thanks a ton for any help!
Old 10-24-2001, 01:48 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: ?? Car destroying starters?? Please help!

Originally posted by emax95
Heres whats going on. I had a new clutch put in a little over a month ago. When I got the car back it would barely start, it would just crank and crank ......

If your car was cranking, your starter wasn't the problem. The starter only turns the engine, which by your post is exactly what it was doing.

You had a clutch put in. Chances are something isn't plugged in correctly or is lose. Check all wiring harnesses around the transmission and make sure all electrical connections are tight. I'm not sure where else to tell you to look, but stop playing with your starter, if it's turning the engine over, it's doing what it should.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:01 PM

Re: ?? Car destroying starters?? Please help!

chances are by putting in your i30 starter didn't solve your problem. you may have 3 bad starters in the next few days. i'd try to find the real problem and not just the quick fix. check the voltage going to the starter or something happened when you put in the new clutch.

Heres whats going on. I had a new clutch put in a little over a month ago. When I got the car back it would barely start, it would just crank and crank and I would here a bang sound somethimes{spring in starter not contracting?}. So I decided to get a starter from a junk yard off of a 98 maxima for $35. Problem solved, or so I thought. The car started perfectly for a good week and then all of a sudden the problem was back at full force! So today I decided to remove the starter and see if the flywheel teeth were chipped, they were all perfect, so I checked the teeth on my starter and same thing, they were perfect too. So I stuck it back in in hopes that maybe the car would start good for another week{maybe more}, but no luck . So I decided what the heck, why not remove the starter from my I30 and try it in my maxima, so I removed both starters from the cars and then put the I30 starter in my maxima, and now my maxima starts perfectly. So I am wondering is my car braking starters or something? Two starters that seemed fine in the past month have gotten destroyed in my car, so I am wondering if this is just back luck or maybe something more?

If you did not read the obove, please tell if a car can breake starters and if so why/how?

Thanks a ton for any help!
Old 10-24-2001, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: ?? Car destroying starters?? Please help!

Originally posted by max808
chances are by putting in your i30 starter didn't solve your problem. you may have 3 bad starters in the next few days. i'd try to find the real problem and not just the quick fix. check the voltage going to the starter or something happened when you put in the new clutch.

I posted this thread becuase I don't want to do the quick fix, I want to know whats going on! BTW I am taking the starter back out of my max and giving it back to my I30 so my max does not mess that one up too.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:23 PM

Re: Re: ?? Car destroying starters?? Please help!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
[B]

If your car was cranking, your starter wasn't the problem. The starter only turns the engine, which by your post is exactly what it was doing.
Thats funny becuase I put my max's starter in my I30 and now the I30 starts like crap. It's pretty obviuos the starter is not working preperly, the reason why the starter(s) are not working properly is what I want/need to know.

You had a clutch put in. Chances are something isn't plugged in correctly or is lose. Check all wiring harnesses around the transmission and make sure all electrical connections are tight. I'm not sure where else to tell you to look, but stop playing with your starter, if it's turning the engine over, it's doing what it should.
[/QUOTE]

I have gone over every connection about 10 times and they are all in place. I ahve also read just about every page of whole repair manual and I am still clueless. I am going to go talk to the piece of **** mechanic who did this to my car!

BTW thanks for trying to help guys.

If anyone else has any clue why my car is destroying starters let me know . Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:21 PM

Lets see if I've got this right. The starter in your Max went bad so you put a junkyard starter in of unknown quality? It failed a month later, so you installed the starter out of your I30 and everthing is good for the Max, but the junkyard starter is still bad in the I30?

Sounds like you should have bought a rebuilt starter at AutoZone instead of the junk at the junkyard.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
Lets see if I've got this right. The starter in your Max went bad so you put a junkyard starter in of unknown quality? It failed a month later, so you installed the starter out of your I30 and everthing is good for the Max, but the junkyard starter is still bad in the I30?

Sounds like you should have bought a rebuilt starter at AutoZone instead of the junk at the junkyard.

I have come to a new conlusion, Ninjamax is right, the starter is not the problem. I spoke to soon earlier about my I30 now starting like crap, in reality it starts fine with the starter from my max. So basicaly the max still starts horribly and lets put the I30 out of the picture becuase it starts great with waht I thought was another bad starter.

When trying to start the max up today I paid close attention to the RPM's, the RPM's go up to were there supposed to go with the starter which is between .3K - .4K rmp. Is it safe to say that this rules out the possibility my flywheel or starter are at fault? I am totaly clueless at this point on what to do next. BTW I swaped my Crankshaft position wiring harness from my max to my I30, the problem still persists.

Anybody have a clue?
Old 10-25-2001, 06:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've got an idea for you. Check the engine temperature sensor. Do a search on here. Daniel B. Martin has specific readings for hot and cold engines for this sensor.

Does your car start ok when it's at operating temp?

Do you only experiance this when the engine is cold?

If any of the above is true, perhaps the sensor is telling the computer that your car is hot all the time, or cold all the time. I would shoot for the hot all the time which would never put the car in the cold starting circuit. Your not getting enough fuel to start and run a cold engine.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I've got an idea for you. Check the engine temperature sensor. Do a search on here. Daniel B. Martin has specific readings for hot and cold engines for this sensor.

Does your car start ok when it's at operating temp?

Do you only experiance this when the engine is cold?

If any of the above is true, perhaps the sensor is telling the computer that your car is hot all the time, or cold all the time. I would shoot for the hot all the time which would never put the car in the cold starting circuit. Your not getting enough fuel to start and run a cold engine.
Thanks again, the car has trouble starting at all different times, usually it is worse after a long drive. Maybe tomarrow I will pull the Coolant sensor out of my I30 and try it in my max.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:30 PM

If the teeth on your starter motor have gouges or nicks in them, that is usually a sign that you have a broken tooth on your flywheel somewhere. You said that you checked all of your connections, but make sure that your are getting at least 12V at the starter connections while someone else is starting the car. Most importantly, make sure that your ground wires are good. Try connecting booster cables directly from the battery to the starter, and have someone try to start the car. If the starter works normally, you have a bad connection and/or ground or + wire.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:43 PM

If you had missing teeth, you'd hear really loud screetching and scraping noises. I know cause thats what it was like when my old camry had teeth missing.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
If you had missing teeth, you'd hear really loud screetching and scraping noises. I know cause thats what it was like when my old camry had teeth missing.
Yeah, I checked the starter teeth and the flywheel teeth and they were in perfect condition.

Farm boy, The starter is getting plenty of power, it cranks fine, my car just has trouble firing up. I am going to swap the MAFS and ECS tomarrow. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it
Old 10-25-2001, 08:06 PM

There are 2 crank sensors on the car. I think one is called position and the other is reference. Did you swap out both sensor?

I have come to a new conlusion, Ninjamax is right, the starter is not the problem. I spoke to soon earlier about my I30 now starting like crap, in reality it starts fine with the starter from my max. So basicaly the max still starts horribly and lets put the I30 out of the picture becuase it starts great with waht I thought was another bad starter.

When trying to start the max up today I paid close attention to the RPM's, the RPM's go up to were there supposed to go with the starter which is between .3K - .4K rmp. Is it safe to say that this rules out the possibility my flywheel or starter are at fault? I am totaly clueless at this point on what to do next. BTW I swaped my Crankshaft position wiring harness from my max to my I30, the problem still persists.

Anybody have a clue?
Old 10-25-2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by gabuchu
There are 2 crank sensors on the car. I think one is called position and the other is reference. Did you swap out both sensor?

I only replaced the one on my bell housing{AKA CPS}. I will definatly check that sensor out tomarrow, thanks!