4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

p0100 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM

p0100 code

friend got a check engine light on his 97 max, code was p0100 MAF or VAF circuit malfunction, would that be the maf or something else causing that?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM
No more Maximas...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=p0100
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM

hmm so its more then likely wiring
Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strange conditions for MAF failure

I had my MAF sensor crap out on me under hard acceleration yesterday. I was pulling out into traffic and goosed it to stay ahead of the traffic coming up behind me. When my transmission shifted from first to second (auto), the car fell on its face (lost power) and the "Service Engine Soon," "SLIP," and "TC" lights came on, but the car continued to run with reduced power.

I pulled over and turned off the car. When I tried to restart the car, it would not run. The "SLIP," and "TC" lights were off now, but the SES light was still lit. The car would start, run rough for about three seconds and quit. I had to have the car towed.

The shop said it was showing a P0100 code. He replaced the MAF and now it runs.

The wierd conditions of the failure leave me with many questions. Why did it fail at the 1-2 shift? Why did it run until I shut it off? Why did the "SLIP," and "TC" lights come on initially?

Does anyone think there may be more problems? Tranny possibly?

The car only has 55K miles on it. I am the original owner. I bought the car new in 2001.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.S. I tried to put this in a new post but I couldn't, so I appended it to this one.

P.S.S. I just noticed I posted this in 4th gen. My car is a 5th gen. Sorry.

Last edited by Vortec MAX; 06-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Vortec MAX
I had my MAF sensor crap out on me under hard acceleration yesterday. I was pulling out into traffic and goosed it to stay ahead of the traffic coming up behind me. When my transmission shifted from first to second (auto), the car fell on its face (lost power) and the "Service Engine Soon," "SLIP," and "TC" lights came on, but the car continued to run with reduced power.

I pulled over and turned off the car. When I tried to restart the car, it would not run. The "SLIP," and "TC" lights were off now, but the SES light was still lit. The car would start, run rough for about three seconds and quit. I had to have the car towed.

The shop said it was showing a P0100 code. He replaced the MAF and now it runs.

The wierd conditions of the failure leave me with many questions. Why did it fail at the 1-2 shift? Why did it run until I shut it off? Why did the "SLIP," and "TC" lights come on initially?

Does anyone think there may be more problems? Tranny possibly?

The car only has 55K miles on it. I am the original owner. I bought the car new in 2001.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.S. I tried to put this in a new post but I couldn't, so I appended it to this one.
So this is an '01 model? Why did you post in the 4th gen section?

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)

Post in the 5th gen newbie thread, that's where you should be.

Also, you are aware that the MAF in the A33 is a relatively common failure, and that there's an updated model available? Only costs ~$80 from Dave B (search), and you may or may not need to update the software on the ECU.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
So this is an '01 model? Why did you post in the 4th gen section?.
I was trying to post in a relevant post so I searched for the P0100 code. I did not notice that I was posting under 4th gen. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by pmohr
Also, you are aware that the MAF in the A33 is a relatively common failure, and that there's an updated model available? Only costs ~$80 from Dave B (search), and you may or may not need to update the software on the ECU.
It was replaced with a new Nissan brand unit, but not by a Nissan dealer. There was apparently a sticker on the new unit about needing to program the ECM. The shop I had install it can not do the required programming. If it runs, is it necessary?

Mike
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Vortec MAX
It was replaced with a new Nissan brand unit, but not by a Nissan dealer. There was apparently a sticker on the new unit about needing to program the ECM. The shop I had install it can not do the required programming. If it runs, is it necessary?

Mike
It's debatable. If it runs fine right now, I wouldn't worry about it, personally.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks pmohr. I posted this in the 5th gen newbie forum as you suggested. Sorry for my error. The new post is here.