4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Seat Soaked with Water.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Rear Seat Soaked with Water.

So its bin a pretty crazy winter up here in Eastern Canada. From freezing weather, to slush, now just rain. Now in my rear seat, the floor keeps on getting wet. I checked it out on a hoist, and found no rust spots, or holes. I vacuumed the water out, and as soon as I got home, I check if its wet again, and it was. Now someone told me it can be the sunroof pipes. But I doubt it, it was too much water to be leaking through the pipes. I have yet to pull up the carpet, had no time yet. Before I do, anyone else experience this? Thanks guys. Let me know.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM

you dont live in eastern canada

edit: nevermind...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 AM

+1 for the sunroof area being the issue. Look at the drain pipes that exit out of the wells where the jack is stored. Gently pull them out from the bottom drain outlet & blow into them...if clogged, they'll be the culprit. God help you if you have to pull out the headliner.

The sunroof isn't meant to or designed to completely seal out water from getting in. There are channels that guide entering water & condensation though the underside of the roof ...and if there's debris built up in these channels, a drain line has come unattached, or a channel is cracked, I imagine you'd have this happen.

I looked closely at this system when I had to remove the headliner & replace the sunroof cables. The drain lines are securely fastened at the top of the draining structure, but even small leaves, dirt buildup and even dead bugs would be an issue that diverts water where it doesn't belong and down one of the c-pillars. The draining structure is also plastic and flimsy ...but unless other damage had occurred like an accident (that rippled the roof) have happened, it's unlikely to be broken.

To verify it, take out the back seat and C-pillar trim to find the path water is taking. Hell ...pull out all the seats and remove the carpet. (That's the easy part compared to the headliner.)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I can has?

+1, I had this problem on my 3rd gen. It's almost ALWAYS the sunroof lines but that's already been covered in this thread pretty good. In my case though, there was a metal "T" shaped splitter that connected one of the sunroof drainage hoses with the drainage hose coming from the power antenna and directs it out of the car. It had completely rusted through/ had dirt all in it so the water was just backing up and coming in the car. I just cut it off, zip tied the hoses out of the car and I've been high and dry since.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM

I'll check that out as soon as I can. But is it possible to water to leak an inch from the sunroof in like 1/2 of driving in the rain, after I vacuumed all the water out?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by jattdemax
Now someone told me it can be the sunroof pipes. But I doubt it, it was too much water to be leaking through the pipes.
Don't doubt it, it's probably your problem. The rear drain tubes go directly down through the rear quarters of your car. If they are leaking, you will have water in the rear of your car. Believe it or not, a lot of water drains through those tubes. It's most likely your problem.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Don't doubt it, it's probably your problem. The rear drain tubes go directly down through the rear quarters of your car. If they are leaking, you will have water in the rear of your car. Believe it or not, a lot of water drains through those tubes. It's most likely your problem.
okay cool. I'll check out. Thanks alot.