4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headlights w/ HID's that offer best lighting before retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Headlights w/ HID's that offer best lighting before retrofit

Pretty much what title says, what headlights w/ HID's will offer the least glare w/ 6000k's? I figured I will wait for some TSX or similar quality projectors to do the retrofit, so in the mean time?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Dont do it till you retro. You will glare no matter what you do. DO the retro and dont waste money on hids not needed.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM

is this stock or aftermarket headlights?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
is this stock or aftermarket headlights?
It really doesnt matter which one he runs they are both going to glare. I have the r34 with a pnp kit. It doesnt glare bad but it still glares.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
It really doesnt matter which one he runs they are both going to glare. I have the r34 with a pnp kit. It doesnt glare bad but it still glares.
so does it reallymake snee going with aftermarket...more than for the looks.?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:18 PM

so does it reallymake snee going with aftermarket...more than for the looks.?
I retroed mine but yes its for looks not light output for these.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
I retroed mine but yes its for looks not light output for these.
hmmm, im now wondering if i should really buy aftermarket headlights or go with some cleaner hedlights from a 99 max as mines area hazy.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM

I have these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW with HID's and the glare is not bad at all. I am sure it's there, but I have never been flashed, ever. The output is good, but not projector quality. Overall, I am very pleased with these lights and the HID setup I use.

Last edited by Dave H.; 02-27-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
I have these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW with HID's and the glare is not bad at all. I am sure it's there, but I have never been flashed, ever. The output is good, but not projector quality. Overall, I am very pleased with these lights and the HID setup I use.
waht HID setup do you use.? im looking to get new headlights and wondering if i should stick to the normal 99 style stock headlights or go for the 1 piece.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Bacon Lover

If you have intentions of going with a projector setup later, don't even bother with a kit. You won't be able to re-use the bulbs, and the wiring and equipment that comes with kits is generally crap anyway (hence why they're cheap).
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Wild for Width

^^^ Agreed, just wait.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
KH3 by popular demand

The reason there is low glare with those headlights is it actually blocks some of the light coming out of the bulb. This is the same reason 9007 is better than 9004. The filament is from front to back rather side to side on the 9004. The stock lights and the r34 also have bulb shield that cause the light to reflect back to the back of the reflector then out that's where most of the glare comes from.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM

if you go with cefiro's or a headlight that uses an h4 filimant h4 bulbs have a factory glare sheild built in.

It will eliminate most of the glare, but there will still be some there.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
It will eliminate most of the glare, but there will still be some there.
And at the same time the output will still suck because the reflector isn't set up with the proper focal point and geometry to make use of the light
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM

waht HID setup do you use.? im looking to get new headlights and wondering if i should stick to the normal 99 style stock headlights or go for the 1 piece.
I am just using a PNP 5000k 9004 kit from maximabest here on the org. I'm sure all the group deal HID kits on here would be okay, but I haven't looked into them...

As for the one piece lights, assuming the R34 style, I don't like them that much because they don't seem to flow with the front of the car. That's just my personal preference.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM

so are you guys saying that stock headlight output is farrrrr better than aftermarket 1 piece.?i have hazy headlights(on the inside) and was thinking of buying a 1 piece pretty soon,but all i been hearing is semi-bad news.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM

so are you guys saying that stock headlight output is farrrrr better than aftermarket 1 piece.?i have hazy headlights(on the inside) and was thinking of buying a 1 piece pretty soon,but all i been hearing is semi-bad news.
the one piece have awful output. But they look better then stock and are good for a retrofit.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
the one piece have awful output. But they look better then stock and are good for a retrofit.
OEM Cefiros actually have an excellent beam pattern, and are somewhat conducive to HID kits (although replicas, such as all the "smoked" 1pc Cefiros, have horrible output). Obviously a retro is a much better way to go than OEM Cefiros and a kit though.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
OEM Cefiros actually have an excellent beam pattern, and are somewhat conducive to HID kits (although replicas, such as all the "smoked" 1pc Cefiros, have horrible output). Obviously a retro is a much better way to go than OEM Cefiros and a kit though.
^ What he said. "1-piece" is very vague term here, as there are two styles of that. We have OEM Cefiros (which are pure chrome look only) that have excellent output exceeding the OEM Maxima headlights; we have blackened aftermarket Cefiro headlights which suck; and we also have chrome and black "R34-style" one-pieces from eBay that have worse output than stock.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM

lol its funny how people say dont use HID unless you retro..sorry but we are not all into ripping apart our headlights and spending 100 bux on projectors then installing them.

I have had a 4300k PNP kit installed in my wifes 98 Max stock headlights with no problems. No people flashing me or anything, yes there is glare but i can see perfectly fine in the rain/snow...no need for high beams. I couldnt see a damn thing with the factory headlight bulbs unless the high beam was on....also tried silverstars with no luck.

If your tight on cash just do the PNP kit in the factory headlight...but dont go with the 6000k your wasting your time..no higher then 5000k
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM

ok,so basically,you guys buy 1 piece headlights to do the so called "retrofit",...which also cost more to find projectors from newer model cars i assume.so this is pure nonesense then,unless you have $$$$ to dish out...correct.?....so just get new,cleaner,clearer sparkly stock headlightss,stick some good bulbs in it..maybe go HID and i shall be good.????
Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 05AltimaSER
lol its funny how people say dont use HID unless you retro..sorry but we are not all into ripping apart our headlights and spending 100 bux on projectors then installing them.
Good for you for not having money? We're saying what we're saying for the sake of other drivers on the road. Plug and play kits are typically junk and the FACT is the stock headlights aren't meant for HIDs, you WILL blind people. Just because no one is flashing you doesn't mean you're not blinding anyone. Point in case, most driving schools teach not to flash people like that because the only thing worse than one blinded driver is two blinded drivers. Get a clue and stop acting like we're pompous for giving good advice.

Synpa, my recommendation is to either save for a proper projector retrofit, or get genuine OEM Cefiro headlights (the chrome ones, not the aftermarket black ones) and get some Sylvania Xtravisions for them, they will have output much better than the stock 9004 headlights and you won't blind anyone. Later on you can retrofit projectors into those same headlights if you want, easy as cake.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 PM

I have had a 4300k PNP kit installed in my wifes 98 Max stock headlights with no problems. No people flashing me or anything, yes there is glare but i can see perfectly fine in the rain/snow...no need for high beams. I couldnt see a damn thing with the factory headlight bulbs unless the high beam was on....also tried silverstars with no luck.

If your tight on cash just do the PNP kit in the factory headlight...but dont go with the 6000k your wasting your time..no higher then 5000k
Wow so you are sayin because you did it the wrong way you are going to tell everyone to do it that way? You sir are wrong bottom line.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tatanko
^ What he said. "1-piece" is very vague term here, as there are two styles of that. We have OEM Cefiros (which are pure chrome look only) that have excellent output exceeding the OEM Maxima headlights; we have blackened aftermarket Cefiro headlights which suck; and we also have chrome and black "R34-style" one-pieces from eBay that have worse output than stock.
Where do we find OEM Cefiros? I see so many different headlights on ebay, don't know how to differentiate them. Also, are they the headlights where we have to make cuts to fit them? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 PM

be warned the cefiro output isnt that great either, i dont know what people are talking about when they say the Cefiro output is so much better, maybe i just got a bad set but......

See all that on the wall that is glare(btw those are not HIDs they are just silverstars):

wait and do a retro, listen to what this guys are saying i put HIDs in my stock 96 housings look at how bad it was:

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by tmoney63
Where do we find OEM Cefiros? I see so many different headlights on ebay, don't know how to differentiate them. Also, are they the headlights where we have to make cuts to fit them? Thanks.
exterior stickies will show u what to cut and how to install

I Ebay the lights i believe most people do to just type in Cefiro headlights U'll get atleast 7 different sellers
Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Crusher103
See all that on the wall that is glare(btw those are not HIDs they are just silverstars):
That's very odd. Are they OEM Cefiros or the aftermarket ones? Usually the OEM Cefiros are much better than the stock Maxima ones. H4 > 9004 plain and simple, but that's very odd.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What bulb size are these lights set up for? 9004? or something else?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 PM

That's very odd. Are they OEM Cefiros or the aftermarket ones? Usually the OEM Cefiros are much better than the stock Maxima ones. H4 > 9004 plain and simple, but that's very odd.
they are the one piece things there beam pattern just sucks *** they are just hopelessly bad

Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Bacon Lover

Those are 9004, same as stock.

they are the one piece things there beam pattern just sucks *** they are just hopelessly bad

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Crusher103/100_1098.jpg[IMG]
Saying "one-piece" is too vague. There's OEM Cefiros, aftermarket Cefiros, and the R34-style light. Yours look like some sort of Cefiro but I can't tell from the picture whether they are OEM or aftermarket. It matters, because the OEM ones are good and the aftermarket ones suck. Here's an easy way to tell...are yours a black housing?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You really should wait and retro when you can...

But if you need to be satisfied NOW; here's my take:

In my stock housing, I've used 8k, 5k, and now 4.3k.
On the 5k and 4.3k, I made a custom glare shield (cut a copper pipe down the middle and JB weld under the bulb base).
On the 8k it was just simple PnP and the glare was horrific.
W/ the glare shield, the 5k looked "OK" but still glared quite a bit.
Now on the 4.3k, the glare "seems" to be more reduced (but probably isn't) BUT the HIDs themselves look like HIDs on cars from before the use of projectors (think old TL, CL, GS400, pre-2003 540i, etc...).

Uhhh... I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can keep your stock housing but you should AIM IT DOWN and USE A GLARE SHIELD and USE 4.3k HIDs only (best light output + if you do a search there's a ton of threads regarding the color bleeding and increased glare of the "colored" 6k + HIDs...)

This post is jumbled, I hope it makes sense...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Those are 9004, same as stock.

Saying "one-piece" is too vague. There's OEM Cefiros, aftermarket Cefiros, and the R34-style light. Yours look like some sort of Cefiro but I can't tell from the picture whether they are OEM or aftermarket. It matters, because the OEM ones are good and the aftermarket ones suck. Here's an easy way to tell...are yours a black housing?
yea i bought the black ones to match the car
Old 02-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Donating i30 Owner

SUGGESTION: = ) SIG... just a suggestion

or go real hardcore back in the day JDM... use regular sylvania bulbs for fogs and headlights with all the correct amber lights... = )

BY THE WAY... GREAT ADVICE this was previous setup in a single piece cefiro... worked pretty good plus i had a city light....(i miss city light.

Originally Posted by aapp81
You really should wait and retro when you can...

But if you need to be satisfied NOW; here's my take:

In my stock housing, I've used 8k, 5k, and now 4.3k.
On the 5k and 4.3k, I made a custom glare shield (cut a copper pipe down the middle and JB weld under the bulb base).
On the 8k it was just simple PnP and the glare was horrific.
W/ the glare shield, the 5k looked "OK" but still glared quite a bit.
Now on the 4.3k, the glare "seems" to be more reduced (but probably isn't) BUT the HIDs themselves look like HIDs on cars from before the use of projectors (think old TL, CL, GS400, pre-2003 540i, etc...).

Uhhh... I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can keep your stock housing but you should AIM IT DOWN and USE A GLARE SHIELD and USE 4.3k HIDs only (best light output + if you do a search there's a ton of threads regarding the color bleeding and increased glare of the "colored" 6k + HIDs...)

This post is jumbled, I hope it makes sense...

Last edited by HomerMAC; 02-29-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:53 PM

I am just using a PNP 5000k 9004 kit from maximabest here on the org.
There's your answer.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:17 PM

@ 100 bucks for a pair of projectors. A good set of projectors (TSX, TL, FX, S2000) will generally run you $200+

If you're tight on cash, get 9007 Xtravisions and call it a day, you should not be going HID (silverstars do not have great performance, especially not for the price and ESPECIALLY not in the rain). No need to waste a few hundred on a crappy kit that will possibly burn out and definitely blind oncoming traffic. If you want to half-*** things on your car, go right ahead. I choose to do things right instead of belittle the engineering that went into the car, and I advise everyone else to do the same.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Bacon Lover

yea i bought the black ones to match the car
There's your problem. They're the crappy aftermarket ones, not true Cefiros. They are garbage compared to real Cefiros (in terms of output and pattern).
Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Still Learning

I made shields for my 9004 HIDs in stock headlight, and aim them crosseyed like some members suggested. Never got flashed on, but glares are there, to be honest. However, it does light up the road better. BTW, I lost the high beam.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM
The Golden One

Do it once and do it right.

I have HID's and TL Bi-Xenon's and I will NEVER own another car that doesn't have projectors/HID's. It's a day and night difference between projector headlights and non-projector headlights.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Do it once and do it right.

I have HID's and TL Bi-Xenon's and I will NEVER own another car that doesn't have projectors/HID's. It's a day and night difference between projector headlights and non-projector headlights.
Amen. I can't stand riding in a car without HIDs now, I feel like I'm driving down the road with flashlights attached to the front of the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Amen. I can't stand riding in a car without HIDs now, I feel like I'm driving down the road with flashlights attached to the front of the car.

Thats how I felt after riding in my friends S2000 with HIDS. I felt like I couldnt see crap when I was driving home in my car.

Quick Reply: Headlights w/ HID's that offer best lighting before retrofit