4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replace CV boot or entire axle, dealer or shop, OEM vs Autozone

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Replace CV boot or entire axle, dealer or shop, OEM vs Autozone

Hello, All.

I noticed yesterday that my outer CV boot on one side is torn and need to do something.

A) The Autozone desk guy (a mechanic) suggested that I consider changing the entire axle instead of just the boot. His argument ... same labor involved ... Autozone will sell axle that includes new inner and outer boots for $65 ... apart from boot wear, the old axle joints are likely worn ... new axle would have a lifetime warranty and thus could be exchanged for new if the boots ever were a problem. The logic sounds pretty good to me.

B) Is taking out and reinserting the axle (old or new) a complex job with high probability of mess up? I am concerned about safety (i.e., the axle falling off while driving), but also am aware that there is a huge difference in cost betwn dealer vs shop mechanic. For example, the dealer quoted a price of $425 per axle to replace the outer CV boot; a local mechanic quoted $90 using a universal boot. How important is it to use the dealer on an axle job and what risks do I take to use an outside mechanic???

C) I to date have believed that dealer boots are much higher in quality than after-market boots. I recall comparing the two 8 or so years ago when I had the outer boots changed on my Acura; Acura boots were of a significantly better rubber than the after-markets. Is this still the case and are there particular aftermarket brands that I should pursue or avoid?

Thanks for lending a hand!!!

99pearlGXE
Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm not an expert on the quality of boots at different auto stores. However, i would definitely recommend replacing the entire axle instead of just the boot, especially if you don't know how long the boot has been ripped. There could be a lot of dirt, etc. that could have already gotten in the joint.

Don't get the axle from Nissan... they'll charge you out the *** for one.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replaced all the boots, re-used the old axles, did it all myself. Not hard at all, but if I was going to do it again, I would just get the new axles from Autozone, etc. I would still do it myself.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:45 PM

My friend got his axle from autozone, we put it in, and it runs fine
Old 03-16-2008, 02:05 PM

I've bought several shafts from autozone and they have held up fine...clutch master cylinder is another story
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM

I have read all over that instead of just replacing the boots, it's better to buy the whole axle and put it in. Raxles.com is the site where many orgers get the axles.

I too need to get both the axles replaced but just wondering if getting them in autozone is just as good as the raxles ones? anyone has experience in getting axles from autozone or raxles ?

Another question, the car feels like a boat when it goes over bumps, and the steering doesn't feel quite right, is it the tie-rods ? Inner tie-rods or outer tie-rods - what to get ???
Old 03-16-2008, 04:47 PM

How can I tell if I have a lock something differential? I'm ready to buy my cv axles and they asked me if I had it... Dunno what he was talking about. I have a 96 5MT SE without ABS.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jale2ice
How can I tell if I have a lock something differential? I'm ready to buy my cv axles and they asked me if I had it... Dunno what he was talking about. I have a 96 5MT SE without ABS.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....389852&page=37
Not sure how do describe it actually... the car feels different with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Try blasting around a corner - if the inside tire spins, your diff is open; if the car just pulls forward and out of the corner, you have an LSD. Maybe go around a tight circle in a parking lot? Id be able to tell if I drove the car but Im really not sure how to describe it to you...
Old 03-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by LeVeL
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....389852&page=37
Not sure how do describe it actually... the car feels different with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Try blasting around a corner - if the inside tire spins, your diff is open; if the car just pulls forward and out of the corner, you have an LSD. Maybe go around a tight circle in a parking lot? Id be able to tell if I drove the car but Im really not sure how to describe it to you...
No USDM Maximas came with LSD so unless it is swapped from a Canadian Max, i30, or 01 AE, he has an open-diff like the rest of us.

To answer your questions...if the boot is torn and you can see grease, replace the axle. You run the risk of not cleaning out all the road grime, dirt, sand, salt, etc. if it is already busted open. I rebuilt mine because they were just dryrotted and hadnt broken open yet.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
he has an open-diff like the rest of us.
Im LSD'ed
Old 03-16-2008, 05:53 PM

werd me too... 5 speed too.. hahaha
Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM

That helps... Thank you!

60$ + 60$ core fee for each.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:19 PM

my driver side boot just busted open today

at advance auto they quoted me $80 for a new GSP axle w/ lifetime warrenty.
you said autozone has one for $60-65?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM

Yes, Autozone quoted $65 for a 99 Maxima axle with limited lifetime warranty
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM

oriellys has a axle for the same price as well w/lifetime.

but yeah it is a easy job to replace the whole axle

1.take tire off
2.take off strut bolts
3.take off tie rod end bolts
4.take off axle bolt
5.take axle out of hub
6.pull on axle and have a pan underneath where the axle goes into the tranny

reverse order on install just add tranny fluid at end and i suggest you look at the axle seal in the tranny to see if it is torn
Old 03-17-2008, 06:11 AM

^^^^ you dont need to remove the tie rod from the knuckle..
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 AM

Its offical... I hate everyone here that is LSD'd... lol... Newengland sucks just 3xmore when u got 1 wheel slippers.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by LeVeL
Im LSD'ed
Haha not from the factory.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Whatchyou say?

No, you don't need to remove the tie rod at all .... F550 is right!

and .... Raxles for the MFW !!! Just did my pass. side axle yesterday. Took me all of about 20 mins or so (including removeing the mount from the old shaft) Took me longer to put the tools away than it did for me to do the job. Raxle's is a bit pricy, but worth it IMO.

To the LSD'd crew! YOU SUCK!!!! LOL No, really - wonder if changing the diff gear would make it into VLSD? Anyone know ???
Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Donating i30 Owner

im saying what they have been saying for years.. go raxels...

smooth acceleration, unlike some autozone axels... plus lifetime replacement. comes in hand on lowered cars that have more chance of tearing boots... but i had the LSD axels on mine replaced 2 years ago.. and no prob...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 PM

I will look into Raxle.com versus the more convenient down the road Autozone.

The two questions posed are:

1) Do I have ABS (anti-lock braking)? Which I believe for my US 99 GXE is no.

2) Do I have locked or unlocked differentials? I am trying to translate the prior posts regarding LSD (Limited Slip Differential) relative to this question. I believe folks are saying that US Maximas including my 99 GXE have locked differentials. Is that correct??? I see no mention of locked or unlocked differentials in my owner's manual or Chiltons. Please help me make sure that I purchase the right part.

My current reading is that I should be purchasing an axle for a car without ABS and with locked differentials. Correct?? Also, are there posts, manuals, or websites I can reference for additional information on this topic relative to a 99 US maxima?

Thanks, in advance!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:43 AM

An Update!! (99 Maxima GXE)

I spent searched around the Forum last night after leaving my prior post and now believe that I need a ...

Passenger side CV half-axle
Car without ABS
Car with unlocked differential

I believe the unlocked differntial signals that I do not have LSD.

If I am headed off in the wrong direction, please let me know. If I am spot on, a confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM

I visited Autozone and was underwhelmed by the knowledge of the counter-person. Though he helped me order a CV half-axle, I left the store nervous about whether I indeed was going to get the right part for my car -- or would end up with my mechanic taking the part out and then discovering that we had the wrong part in hand.

For my 1999 GXE California Maxima, I was particularly spooked when the Autozone computer did not seem to care whether I had a open or locked differential. Maybe it is the case it does not matter for the left, passenger side axle.

Given 1999 Maxima, passenger side, no ABS, Autozone ordered part # 9720N which is described as a new CV drive axle.

Is there anyone who has done this job before for a 4th Gen Maxima with a right side Autozone axle who can confirm I am getting the correct part????

Thx in advance!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Look at the Vin# and you should look for a letter (Forgot which is which) but there's a letter that you will have in your vin# to find out what your car has a locking or a non-locking and I think It was in stickies here somewhere that should help out.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i say go with autozone they have good quality
Old 04-09-2008, 07:02 PM

i worked at advance and just to let you guys know if advance or whoever is cheaper they all price match or atleast we did so check into that and see what they say.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Bringing this thread back up from the grave!

Just wondering, i went to Autozone and i asked for the axle for my 5-speed 96 Maxima. I know that its a Manual transmission and i have ABS. But the thing that i don't understand is when they ask me if i have Locking Differencial or Non Locking differencial. whats the difference and how do i know if my vehicle has Locking or Non Locking differencial?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kidgrave

Just wondering, i went to Autozone and i asked for the axle for my 5-speed 96 Maxima. I know that its a Manual transmission and i have ABS. But the thing that i don't understand is when they ask me if i have Locking Differencial or Non Locking differencial. whats the difference and how do i know if my vehicle has Locking or Non Locking differencial?
Jack the entire front end off the ground with the car in gear, spin one of the wheels by hand and watch the other side. If they spin in opposing directions it's an open (non-locking) differential, if they spin the same direction it's a locking differential (aka VLSD).

Just the easiest way to tell.

Last edited by BenL; 10-12-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM

i actually had the car jacked up when i changed my clutch, i believe that only the right wheel spinned. the left wheel spinned briefly...thats all it did...
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 PM

the difference also in axles is the axle on vlsd is alot bigger abs or non abs is not a issue they will both work and manual or auto are interchangable

edit if u have abs get abs if ur non abs abs axles will work just for any one that has a question about that

Last edited by luke95gxe; 10-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude, the info is IN THIS THREAD! You bumped an old thread and didn't even read it!

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
No USDM Maximas came with LSD so unless it is swapped from a Canadian Max, i30, or 01 AE, he has an open-diff like the rest of us.

To answer your questions...if the boot is torn and you can see grease, replace the axle. You run the risk of not cleaning out all the road grime, dirt, sand, salt, etc. if it is already busted open. I rebuilt mine because they were just dryrotted and hadnt broken open yet.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM

well seems like I might have a completely different opinion from everyone... about 3 month ago I replaced both of my outer boots on each axle... I purchased the boots from CarQuest... they were the cheapest $10 a piece and the quality is amazing... very thick rubber two high quality clamps and two packs of grease in each box...
I was thinking about replacing the entire axle but... I knew when the boots broke.. drove the car for about a week it was during the summer time so no rain or water got inside when I took it apart both boots were still packed... the axles were not making any noise and the ride was smooth...
So in my mind I replaced $22 total worth of parts, I still have my oem nissan axles vs getting some after market remanufactured or "new" POS parts from the store...
just my $.02 on the subject... I have put close to 5000 miles since and no problems... if your axle is still packed with grease and its not making the noises then I will rebuilt... sure you can just replace since you are already there but I have gone that route before installing brand new axles from NAPA on my accord just to find out the 10,000 latter the axles were shot... sure those come with a lifetime warranty but poin of the story I had to do it again
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 PM

i just did both on our 99 right side was stuck omg ! that sucked i had to use an air hammer to get it out!

i used autozone new not reman...we will see how long they last.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Black Lion

Is this axle aka as the Drive Shaft? Looks like the same part on Nissan website .. courtesy parts.com under power train section. I need to replace my inner boot and now after searching I think its best to replace the entire axle aka drive shaft?