4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Illumina strut/shock/spring kits vs. HP strut/shock/spring kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Illumina strut/shock/spring kits vs. HP strut/shock/spring kits

Does Tokico use the same springs for both the HP and Illumina kits, or different ones?

There seems to be a greater price differential for the Illumina with and without springs versus HP with and without springs.

Here are two examples of the lowest prices for each on Ebay:

HP strut/shock/spring sets sell for $379/shipped with $279/shipped for just the HPs -- a difference of $100.

(Note: some vendors who offer both kits have as low as a $80 price differential between struts/shocks only and the complete kit.)

Illumina strut/shock/spring sets sell for $540/shipped with $412/shipped for just the illuminas -- a difference of $128.

If the springs are the same, shouldn't the price differentials be the same?

Besides the obvious, are there any other parts included in these Tokico kits (like the spring sleeves, for example)?

One final thing:

Between these two setups, Illumina kit versus Illumina/H&R, which is a better combo, using performance as the deciding factor, and which is a better combo using price as the deciding factor.

I've learned that one should not use cost as the primary factor in making decisions among suspension setups.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
oem ftw!

I was looking into this a few months ago and, from what I gathered, the springs in both kits are identical. I have the HP kit, and IIRC it didn't really come with anything other than rear strut mounts, and misc. nuts. No spring sleeves.

I'm satisfied with the performance/look of my HP kit, but going over bumps & potholes is pretty brutal. This isn't really acceptable as basically every road in NY is horrible! I was attributing it to the softness of the struts, but a member informed me that he has the illuminas with red springs and his ride is equally brutal over bumps. So, I'll likely change out my entire suspension this summer with Illuminas & H&R's.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM

From what you said, it sounds like the red springs are a bad edition to the Tokicos. Thanks, that really helps.

My benchmark for a suspension is a La-Z-Boy recliner -- in other words, I need a setup that really isolates the driver's seat from potholes, bumps, breaks in the pavement, etc.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 AM

i have the tokico hp's and i really dont like them, the ride is crap, i think one of them is blown on the front, my boy has the hps with red springs and it rides real nice. im thinking about going back to stock se struts or saving for illuminas
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by soccerplr19
i have the tokico hp's and i really dont like them, the ride is crap, i think one of them is blown on the front, my boy has the hps with red springs and it rides real nice. im thinking about going back to stock se struts or saving for illuminas
Did you have the HPs paired with lowering springs?

Could you please elaborate on their ride? If one was blown, then it would ride badly.

Is your boy also running a 4th Gen with the tokico setup?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
...I'm satisfied with the performance/look of my HP kit, but going over bumps & potholes is pretty brutal. This isn't really acceptable as basically every road in NY is horrible! I was attributing it to the softness of the struts, but a member informed me that he has the illuminas with red springs and his ride is equally brutal over bumps. So, I'll likely change out my entire suspension this summer with Illuminas & H&R's.
Well, you might not want to hear what another NY'er said about running Illumina's & H&R's. He said, they look nice but even with H&R's, the ride is jarring over NY roads.

So, what I am getting from my discussions with others is that if you live in an area where there are more potholes than vehicles, any kind of lowering spring is going to be a bad idea.

BTW, HP's, I'm told, are the same as OEM's, and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I was also told that SE's had stiffer spring rates but not stiffer struts/shocks than GXE's.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Well, you might not want to hear what another NY'er said about running Illumina's & H&R's. He said, they look nice but even with H&R's, the ride is jarring over NY roads.

So, what I am getting from my discussions with others is that if you live in an area where there are more potholes than vehicles, any kind of lowering spring is going to be a bad idea.

BTW, HP's, I'm told, are the same as OEM's, and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I was also told that SE's had stiffer spring rates but not stiffer struts/shocks than GXE's.
That's a good way of putting it. Some of these roads are so bad that even when driving a car that has an OEM suspension, the ride can get pretty nasty. True, I suppose that comfort will always be sacrificed when you lower the car, no matter what combination you use. I've gotten so used to the lowered stance and tighter handling, though, that I'm willing to make the trade .

That's also true that HP's are the best option for the OEM-like ride. But people typically do not recommend them for a lowered application. I'm assuming that the Illumina & H&R combination will, sans superior comfort (although that would be nice too), provide better control over bumps at highway speeds than the HP kit. I like the idea of being able to adjust the stiffness of the ride, so I will likely still go that route this summer just for that added benefit.

Although my car is GLE, I also believe that that's correct about the SE suspension - same struts but stiffer springs.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM

The ride will be much stiffer with any lowering springs. The HP springs don't give a very low drop. I believe it's like a 1.25" drop. all other springs give a lower drop, even H&R's.
I've never ridden in a car with H&R's, but I would think that it would be a stiffer ride.

Yes, HP's are stock replacement struts and the SE model maxima's do have stiffer springs.

" OEM SE springs (linear) estimated:
Front: 250 lbs/in
Rear: 250 lbs/in

OEM GLE/GXE springs (linear) estimated:
Front: 200 lbs/in
Rear: 200 lbs/in "
Old 04-01-2008, 01:35 PM

well im running on stock se springs at the moment, im not for sure if its blown its on the passenger front strut and i read threads that on 4th gens it goes bad. and no my friend is not running it on a 4th gen its an accord, sorry.

Did you have the HPs paired with lowering springs?

Could you please elaborate on their ride? If one was blown, then it would ride badly.

Is your boy also running a 4th Gen with the tokico setup?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 PM

i need to get new shocks and struts. what would yall recomend? im runnin a eibach pro pro kit on a 4th gen...
Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by MROTH
i need to get new shocks and struts. what would yall recomend? im runnin a eibach pro pro kit on a 4th gen...
I recommend not threadjacking old posts: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html