4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electrical problem, need help asap.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 AM

Electrical problem, need help asap.

The Maxima started acting weird today on the way to work. The A/C was on, the radio and the headlights. The ABS light came on and then all the gauges went silly and the car started to jerk around like it was dying. Pulled off the interstate, turned off the radio, A/C and lights, and the car ran fine. It runs fine now still with all that turned off. When I have them turned off, I can start the car back up when I kill the ignition. When the accs are running, it just seems to drain the battery and wont start back up. Also, the windshield wipers are moving VERY slow when I'm driving. Way slower than normal.

My question is this, alternator? or battery. Advance tested both and didn't give me any useful info whatsoever. Its got a 1 month old battery in it now too. Someone help me, I can't get to work, haha.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 AM

I just jumped it off, unhooked the neg battery terminal and it ran at idle with no accs on, but the ABS light was on, and when I gave it gas, it started to sputter and then died.

Alternator?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM

If your battery is one month old then it is still under warranty. I would advise you to go to the place you got it from for them to test if it holds the charge.

Otherwise I had a similar problem couple of years ago. 4th gen is famous for having alternator problems. I'd give it about a 70% chance you need to replace the alternator.

The good news is however, Nissan started using different alternators for the 4th gen couple of years ago, so if you get the oem now it will be much more reliable.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 AM

Well I work part-time at autozone, and I don't think the car will make it there, I'm just scared It'll choke down and no one can come jump me off. I got the battery there, and its no problem getting a new one if I have to. I can't use the tester we have since I'm at home with my car. Advance is right up the road and they couldn't tell me squat. Wouldn't the car run if you unhooked the battery while its running if the alternator is good? It runs but sputters out with ONLY the alternator. Maybe a bad connection?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM

Im pretty sure its the alternator. Maxima had recalls on the alt as well. Mine went like 2 months ago and was doing the same **** your is doing. I had the battery and brake light on as well though.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Sold

when testing the alternator ensure that you probe the male terminal that leads into the back of the alternator.

Start with the east stuff. Get a multimeter and check the charge. Also, check the belt deflection.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:52 PM

I agreed is the alternator I guess i should not complain since my lasted 12 years .. ha ha
Old 04-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Pointing to the alternator. the baterry is only used to start your car (and to use things when engine is off) I'm sure if you unhook the negative on the battery the car should be fine. So thats not happening..its ur alternantor.

Be carefull not to drive the car. one of the *sumthin *sunthing* in the altinator could still be going and catch fire if you force it. It happened to a friend of mine. Mines started smoking.

When I got my new HO alt, I had to get the car to quincy to have it installed which was bout 15miles. I went and bought a yellowtop from autozone fulled charged, threw it in and had someone follow me. When you come to a red light, just gas it up to 2000rpm. you can tell its powering by looking at your clock if the right side of the numbers starts to fade
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Well the alternator is still putting out power, around 11.5V. I'm gonna check the connections around it and stuff tomorrow, and if that doesn't help it I'm gonna change the alternator.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its the alt. mine did the same thing a year ago. there not to bad to put in. mine died on the way to the parts store. kinda sucked. had to get a ride back to my other car to take the battery out of it and take it to the max so i could get home.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM

Word. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, think I could get it done in like 3 hrs? I have to make it to work tomorrow afternoon, lol.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Done. Runs like new guys, thanks a lot. I'm trading the Max for a Jeep tomorrow though, more than likely anyway.