4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Electrical Problems

My car will not crank, there is a device mounted on the upper part of the intake manifold that is mounted by two bolts, it has two vacume lines coming from it and one is going to a black circular thing that says nissan on it that is closer to the throtle body. This thing on the manifold clicks for a few seconds when I turn the key to run. When I turn the key the rest of the way to start it my clock goes out and I tried it with the radio on and it turns off also when I turn the key the rest of the way, when I release the key the clock and radio have power agian. What is that device on my manifold and why wont my car start. I would post pics of the thing on the manifold that is clicking but cant find the cord to my camera, I was hopping some one would know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM

you have a bad ground somewhere or just clean your battery terminals. BOTH of them. also your battery might be dead.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Terminals are clean and battery is new. I will check my grounds again but Im pretty sure their good.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM

I double checked the grounds and sanded and cleaned two that were on the front of the car, and didnt fix problem. There are three blue relays in the campartment with all the fuses on the drivers side that click when I try to start the car, only when I turn it to start. I know for sure that the top one and bottom one click because I can feal them I dont know if the middle one is clicking or if I am feeling the other ones because they are so close. Any body know what might be happening? Any electrically savy people here?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM

By the way I tested the top and bottom just in case and they both read 60-70 ohms which is good I think. I could not test the middle one because I could not get the son of a ***** out.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM

They are clicking becase your battery voltage drops when you try and start the car. If they have less that about 8-10 volts they will do that. How old is your starter, it may be shot consider getting it tested. Try tapping on the starter with a mallet.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
They are clicking becase your battery voltage drops when you try and start the car. If they have less that about 8-10 volts they will do that. How old is your starter, it may be shot consider getting it tested. Try tapping on the starter with a mallet.
My starter is pretty new, all the wires are in very good shape on the starter and on the battery. How do I test the starter? I did try tapping it with a mallet and no luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Your battery voltage is dropping beacuse your battery is weak and not charged or the starter motor is drawing so much current that it pulls the voltage down. Are your headlights bright? What voltage do you measure across the battery?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The thing clicking is the IACV and it's normal for it to click when the ingition is turned on.

Check the ignition switch, it's a known problem in our 4th gens.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Is it 5 speed or auto trans?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM

its the ignition switch... get a new one..
Old 04-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
its the ignition switch... get a new one..
I realize that he has a newer starter and battery so those parts are probably fine which would point to maybe the ignition switch.

I just don't understand how faulty ignition switch would make the relays chatter as he describes? That usually happens when a battery is weak or dead. Could it be that is alternator is not properly charging the battery and it is weak.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 PM

thanks guys but my ignition switch is as new as the starter, and the battery is brand spankin new. This clicking noise coming from what njmaxseltd said it the IACV is deffiatly not something I have ever heard before so I know its not normal. I dont understand why my radio and clock turn off when I turn it to start. I turned the head lights on and turned it to start and they did not dim or go out so mabye that helps I dont know.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Oh its 5 speed by the way. I think some one asked that.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 PM

I realize that he has a newer starter and battery so those parts are probably fine which would point to maybe the ignition switch.

I just don't understand how faulty ignition switch would make the relays chatter as he describes? That usually happens when a battery is weak or dead. Could it be that is alternator is not properly charging the battery and it is weak.
You guys are saying that relays chatter when the battery is weak, could my connections be shot and is there a way to test this like testing voltage or current at a device to see if the connections some were from the batteryare not letting all the voltage from the battery to get to a device. Because the battery is new but the wires could be bad i guess.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Sold

just gave this thread an overview and noticed that no one had mentioned this... check the female spade plug that plugs into the starter. That sometimes gets loose and then it will prevent your starter from engaging.

just a thought.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax
just gave this thread an overview and noticed that no one had mentioned this... check the female spade plug that plugs into the starter. That sometimes gets loose and then it will prevent your starter from engaging.

just a thought.
I will check that but would that cause the weird clicking, relays chattering, and the clock turning off when the key is turned to the start pos.? Also is this female spade plug on the solenoid part or the actual starter part? Is it the thing that is screwed in there with a boot on it?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Any body know how to check if I'm gettin voltage to the starter? Or mabye fuses I can check voltage at, or relays that should or should not engage when I try to start the car or power them up? What is the clutch interlock relay? I have read about that in other threads, I was in a reck and the front end was damaged alittle and the box with the clutch interlock relay was damaged. Mostly just the plastic that holds the relays, one relay was smashed but i replaced that one, and I'm pretty shure it was not the clutch inter lock. Any thing that usually gets rattled or knocked out of place in a reck that causes the symtoms that i have? (the clicking for a few seconds of what I was told the IACV when the key is put in the on pos., the relays clicking once when the key is put in the start pos.in the fuse compartment inside the car, the clock turning off when the key is put to the start pos. then back on when I let go, and the no start)
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM

yea it could be... but... is he talking about the starter chattering or the relays chattering... cuz thats usually 2 different things..

if the starter chatters then yea.. its not getting correct battery voltage, cuz of either a bad ground or a bad positive wire...
Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Sold

Originally Posted by tc97max
I will check that but would that cause the weird clicking, relays chattering, and the clock turning off when the key is turned to the start pos.? Also is this female spade plug on the solenoid part or the actual starter part? Is it the thing that is screwed in there with a boot on it?
no. it is one wire with a female spade on it. It attaches to a male end. on the actual starter iirc. It should have a boot on in, but there is no bolt. That is a different and much thicker wire all together. Not sure about that causing weird clicking, and the other symtoms. When mine came loose, my car acted like it needed a new starter.

good luck
Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM

OK so the IACV is soposed to make the clicking noise when the key is in the on pos. And the clock is soposed to turn off when the key is pushed to the start pos. I should have known that one. But the relays inside clicking when I turn it to start seems wierd and it wont start. There seems to be no noises at all other than the relays and IACV when I try to start. Ring any bells for anybody?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 AM

You should measure about 12VDC at the black with yellow stripe wire on the starter motor. Put the red lead of your meter on that connection and the black lead to ground. If that voltage is present when you have turn the key to start and have the clutch depressed you have a starter problem. If the voltage is not present you have a problem with one of these things in this order 1) clutch interlock switch (mounted above clutch) 2) clutch interlock relay 3) Ignition switch 4) antitheft system.

Try this first, check the interlock switch above the clutch, have someone step on the clutch the switch should engage and you should hear the clutch interlock relay click. If this is not happening the problem is in this area.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM

You should measure about 12VDC at the black with yellow stripe wire on the starter motor. Put the red lead of your meter on that connection and the black lead to ground. If that voltage is present when you have turn the key to start and have the clutch depressed you have a starter problem. If the voltage is not present you have a problem with one of these things in this order 1) clutch interlock switch (mounted above clutch) 2) clutch interlock relay 3) Ignition switch 4) antitheft system.

Try this first, check the interlock switch above the clutch, have someone step on the clutch the switch should engage and you should hear the clutch interlock relay click. If this is not happening the problem is in this area.
Good information thats what I was looking for. Thanks I will try that.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Thank you everyone it was just the clutch interlock relay that needed replaced. Feels good to have the maxima back.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Sold

glad to hear that you got it fixed and your car is up and running again.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Ok does anybody know what color the Clutch interlock relay is supposed to be??

I got in a wreck and i think my mech swapped the placement for the interlock and cooling fan relay.

My car wont start so im sure its something to do with relay but i cant figure out which one it is
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Ok does anybody know what color the Clutch interlock relay is supposed to be??

I got in a wreck and i think my mech swapped the placement for the interlock and cooling fan relay.

My car wont start so im sure its something to do with relay but i cant figure out which one it is
cashoit: The clutch interlock relay should be in Relay Box #2 - next to the battery and just under the hood switch at the driver's side front of the engine compartment. Middle relay in a row of three. Page EL-307 of my FSM. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by bobflood
cashoit: The clutch interlock relay should be in Relay Box #2 - next to the battery and just under the hood switch at the driver's side front of the engine compartment. Middle relay in a row of three. Page EL-307 of my FSM. Good luck.

Its cool man. I figured it out and im rollin again