4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

took the max to the shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM

took the max to the shop

I have a pretty much stock 97 SE 5spd. it started pulling hard to the left while driving so I took it to the shop. this is what they said:

Front suspension is in dire straights. $1200
Lower Left Control Arm is shot.
Front Struts are way bad.
Linkage bar and the attachment to the sway bar need to be
replaced.

Ignition switch is hard to start and getting extra torque while started.
Replacement. $290

Exhaust bracket holding the muffler and catalytic converter is gone.
$145.

Front tires. The belt are separating. Replace with 2 Mastercraft brand
and realign. $325

Total repair cost $1,960

the mechanic thinks that it will go 200k with the repairs, I'm a little iffy spending half the value of the car on repairs.

Should I keep it? Sell it? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Any help would really be appreciated. I did some research about shocks and struts - I wouldn't mind a firmer ride, but I don't really want much of a drop, if anything.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Those prices are too high.

I'll let the suspension experts chime in on your first item.

Ignition switch?? You sure he didn't mean the starter? If he really did mean ignition switch, that's a $30-$40 part and you can do it yourself in 30 minutes.

Exhaust bracket can be fixed/rewelded for $15-$25. Shoot, the guy I go to would do it for $10.

For stock sized tires, you should be able to pick up a pair for $200-$250 fully installed/balanced etc.

Get a second and third opinion first.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM

2000gs .
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 AM
wants an I35

rofl at 145 for an exhaust bracket. that is RIDICULOUS

i just took mine off and was about to throw it out
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 AM

That place is a ripoff, find another.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM

To the OP, think about it long and hard. I was just in the same boat. Im fixing my car up and possibly going the extra mile to turbo. even if you put in $6k, its still cheaper than buying a new car or even new-to-you car.

And as Wizard said, those prices are obsurd. $290 is the prcie i just payed for a rebuilt starter, not and ignition switch. $145 was the price of installing my entire exhaust system forget just the brackets. 2 new front tires cost me $120.

As for suspension, if you need to do it, do it all aftermarket. I honestly wish i had.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by nalc
I have a pretty much stock 97 SE 5spd. it started pulling hard to the left while driving so I took it to the shop. this is what they said:

replaced.
do you mean the actual lower control arm or just the bushings?

the nissan LCA is about 250 if i remember correctly.

This is about right for LCA and entire suspension. but yea i agree with something someone said above, which is "if youre going to do it, go aftermarket". they will end up costing about the same.

so thats $1200 including labor right there.

Replacement. $290
youre going to have to be a little clearer on what this is

$145.
this is a joke. that bracket (if its the bracket im thinking of that holds the base of the Y pipe to the middle cat) should cost no more than 10 dollars. and installation should take 45 seconds.

i actually had to remove mine this past weekend cuz my budget y was too big to fit in it. i drive around without one now....

and realign. $325
go to www.tirerack.com and order 2 QUALITY tires for under 100 a piece.
then go pay 40 bux for them to be mounted.

im not sure what alignment has to do with this all. do you mean balancing?

either way, you can get your car aligned AND balanced for 80 bux.

Total repair cost $1,960

the mechanic thinks that it will go 200k with the repairs, I'm a little iffy spending half the value of the car on repairs.

Any help would really be appreciated. I did some research about shocks and struts - I wouldn't mind a firmer ride, but I don't really want much of a drop, if anything.

tell this guy hes a piece of **** and youre taking your business elsewhere

Last edited by ROCKART; 04-15-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM

replaced.

Replacement. $290

$145.

and realign. $325

Total repair cost $1,960

Front Suspension
LCA - $100ish
Struts - $150
Endlinks - $50 per side

Ignition Switch - I will sell you one for $25 dollars shipped

Exhaust Brackets - $30

2 New Tires Balanced and Alignened - $250-300

This is assuming that you do everything yourself minus the tires and alignment and the exhaust brackets. Id say add another $200 or so if you wanted someone to install the suspension components and ignition switch.

Even if you had someone else do all the work, it shouldnt be more than $800 or so for everything listed above.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 AM

AUTOZONE prices.

LEFT LOWER CONTROL ARM - #520-519 - $113.99. STRUTS - left # gs5913 $74.99. right #gs5912 $74.99. SWAY BAR REPAIR KIT - #101-4894 $27.99. IGNITION SWITCH ASSEMBLY - #201-1742 $139.99. IGNITION SWITCH - #ls812 $52.99.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Called the guy up -

He's not going to touch the ignition switch, but he is going to move the clutch switch up a little bit. Right now, you need to push the clutch really hard to start it, so he's going to adjust the switch so you can start it nornally.

We called up tire places and got quotes of $100 or so per tire, and about $100 to balance and align. So $325 ain't bad at all, especially since we will only have to take it to one shop.

Apparently, it's not a hanger like I thought it was, it's some sort of 'shelf' that has to be an OEM nissan part, which holds the muffler. Right now the stupid thing rattles, so that should fix it.

I don't really have the tools or experience to do suspension work. I'm going to try to find out what kind of springs and struts are available at the shop (whether its OEM nissan or aftermarket). I'll have them do the LCA and the swaybar.

I'd imagine that even OEM nissan suspension parts will be better than the set on their now, which has 140k miles on it.

What is a cheap, readily available (i.e. you can buy retail, not from online or ebay or another member) strut that is good? How about springs? With either stock ride height, or within a half inch of it.

I don't know if he wants to replace the springs or not - should I? The whole suspension is the original, bone stock 140k miles on it.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM

Called the guy up -

He's not going to touch the ignition switch, but he is going to move the clutch switch up a little bit. Right now, you need to push the clutch really hard to start it, so he's going to adjust the switch so you can start it nornally.

We called up tire places and got quotes of $100 or so per tire, and about $100 to balance and align. So $325 ain't bad at all, especially since we will only have to take it to one shop.

Apparently, it's not a hanger like I thought it was, it's some sort of 'shelf' that has to be an OEM nissan part, which holds the muffler. Right now the stupid thing rattles, so that should fix it.

I don't really have the tools or experience to do suspension work. I'm going to try to find out what kind of springs and struts are available at the shop (whether its OEM nissan or aftermarket). I'll have them do the LCA and the swaybar.

I'd imagine that even OEM nissan suspension parts will be better than the set on their now, which has 140k miles on it.

What is a cheap, readily available (i.e. you can buy retail, not from online or ebay or another member) strut that is good? How about springs? With either stock ride height, or within a half inch of it.

I don't know if he wants to replace the springs or not - should I? The whole suspension is the original, bone stock 140k miles on it.

Thanks for the help guys
i can't believe your actually gonna let them fix some of the part on your car.
this place seems like one of those small local, cheap *** shops that like to rip people off. i know of 1 place in columbia that is exactly like this and i NEVER see any cars at their place whenever i pass them by.

as for the tires, you don't even need $100 set of tires. what rims do you have? i'm assuming stock, so just get some cheap 205 kumho's or something along that line, you don't need Z-rated high performance tires bla, bla, bla.

for the exhaust, are you talking about the support beam, the one that sits underneath the b-pipe? thats the only "shelf" kinda thing i can think of, i don't even have one b/c the 2.5 diameter piping is too big for it. other than that, maybe a exhaust shield rattling, i dunno. when does it rattle? why don't you get underneath your car and play around w/ it, see where the noise is coming from and try to fix it yourself.

for suspension, don't how "expensive" oem suspension retails for, but why spend big bucks on stock suspension again? get illuminas or even tokico blues if you want to retain closest to stock. you mine as well get springs for those as well. for the LCA, endlinks, whatever else, do what everyone else said, check your local auto store. i would def take it too another shop or even get another shop to quote you on how much it would cost to install those since you can't do them yourself. don't know if money is an issue for you, but i would never let a deceptive shop take advantage of me...

Last edited by G4nismo; 04-15-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM

The $325 includes mounting the tires and aligning them.

The issue too is that I'm in college, and my car is 100 miles away. It usually hangs out on the driveway until I come home, but my dad needs to drive it for a few weeks. He's more concerned with getting the repairs done by the shop that he likes. While I would like to go around to all different places and compare prices, he wants to drop it off at the shop, spend $1000-1500, and pick it up and have it driving nice. I think the shop he likes is overpriced, but he likes them, and I think their work is pretty good.

Now, it's only the front suspension that is busted.
I'm seeing Tokico HP Blue at stillen.com
It's $100 per front strut, $74 per rear strut
If I have brand new Blues on the front, and 140,000 mile OEMs on the back, is that going to mess me up? Should I just spend the extra for all four?
All four would be $100+$100+$74+$74 = $348.
Then there's a kit for $460 - does the kit include the springs?

I've got 16" SE rims... 215/55R16 on them now

Since we've still got a few weeks, and we haven't committed to anything yet, here's the plan so far:

Ignition - Going to have them adjust the clutch switch, and not mess with the ignition.

Tires - Going to do $325 for 2 mastercraft tires and alignment

Muffler - Going to pay $145 for the imaginary bracket. My parents don't want to take it to two shops.

I'm going to call tomorrow and get a quote on replacing the lower left control arm, the sway bar, the linkage bar, and installation of a set of springs and struts. If it's reasonable, I'll get the Tokico Blue strut/spring kit for $460 online for all four wheels.

Anything I'm missing or forgetting?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM

The $325 includes mounting the tires and aligning them.

The issue too is that I'm in college, and my car is 100 miles away. It usually hangs out on the driveway until I come home, but my dad needs to drive it for a few weeks. He's more concerned with getting the repairs done by the shop that he likes. While I would like to go around to all different places and compare prices, he wants to drop it off at the shop, spend $1000-1500, and pick it up and have it driving nice. I think the shop he likes is overpriced, but he likes them, and I think their work is pretty good.
pshhh, so basically your dad likes the shop b/c there "goody, goody" to him or something? ha, mine as well just take it to the stealership.
and for $1000-1500, their work better be damn good. whatever, your parents money, not mine...

Muffler - Going to pay $145 for the imaginary bracket. My parents don't want to take it to two shops.
did you not read my suggestion? have your dad check it out if you can't. seems like, you want to spend money on useless things.....

Last edited by G4nismo; 04-15-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM

If your dad has that much money to spend on getting DIY fixed then by all means go for it. I'd like to add that $2000 is just too high. You asked for opinions and any help and a lot of orgs members chimed in to tell you that's it's not worth it to pay 2 grand for a few minor problems. You should tell your dad to find another shop to go to. He's probably the one keeping them in business.

My opinion. Put $2000 as a downpayment on a 240sx or a good rwd car and part out your maxima or trade it in. Like I am I got quoted $5,550 for my maxima.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 PM

just let him take it to the rip off mechanic. clearly it doesnt matter what we think even tho he asked what we thought of the quote. seriously man, you are being ripped off at those prices and ofcourse everyone on an enthusiast site is gonna suggest to do it yourself for the things you can.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

I just assumed him being on these forums made him an enthusiast which would motivate him to try to DIHimself or take the advice of the guys that have been here for centuries.

Honestly though it's your call whether you take it to the stealershop. Our advice is to find another shop that doesn't try to rip you off. You keep coming at us with new prices and what not and try to make it sound as though they're not trying to rip you off and that it's worth it.

If you lived anywhere near Irvine then I'd help you out with the suspension and replacing the ignition switch or starter or whatever it is you need for free as long as you provided the parts for me and be my best friend for 2 years.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM

ouch...learn to do some of the basic stuff maybe on your own..would save some money
Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by riceyasian86
you provided the parts for me and be my best friend for 2 years.
hahahaah
Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the patience guys, I do think you are right.

Even if the struts are bad, the car should still be driveable for short distances <5 miles, I would think.

I want to get a quote on the shop replacing only the left LCA and fixing the swaybar.

The ignition is a non-issue. It's not as nice as it used to be, but it's easily workable.

If I can get that done, then I can call around and get estimated prices for a shop installing Tokico Blue springs/struts, and order them from online.

Once that's done, I'll look on like tirerack for a good set of tires, and find an inexpensive place to mount and align them.

Then I'll take it to this muffler shop that I really like, and have them install a hanger if neccessary.

Now to see what the shop says in the morning...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
To the OP, think about it long and hard. I was just in the same boat. Im fixing my car up and possibly going the extra mile to turbo. even if you put in $6k, its still cheaper than buying a new car or even new-to-you car.

And as Wizard said, those prices are obsurd. $290 is the prcie i just payed for a rebuilt starter, not and ignition switch. $145 was the price of installing my entire exhaust system forget just the brackets. 2 new front tires cost me $120.

As for suspension, if you need to do it, do it all aftermarket. I honestly wish i had.
ya, 145.00 for install on entire exhaust system, 120.00 for 2 tires, what brand??? general??? hahahahahahaha.....
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM

nalc, dont know where your from, but djfrestyl did my entire suspension for 125.00, front and rear. i paid around 350.00-400.00 for the parts. he's in jersey and i just drove to his house. i bet the dealer would do that stuff cheaper than that for cripes sake. look around, no way in hell i'd spend that kinda scratch on those repairs. 600.00 to 800.00, tops.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 PM

ya that is pretty high for the front end. Most of the work is access by doing the struts, so that is alot of extra labor. Hey i do oil changes, i charge 100 an hour. Takes me 2 hours. ^_^ ;;
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 PM

dam !!!!!I just took a look at your thread and after reading those ridiculous prices i would say he might as well have lubed you up instead of the pad!! As for everyone else +1 everything you need you can usually find in decent condition on the org if not look around man dont get fcked and most of that stuff you can do yourself it just takes a little of search and a little haynes manual good luck bro...oh and while your shopping around find out if you can get a liftime alignment at firestone 159$ and wellworth it especially if ur on coilovers
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM

I don't think he's going to shell out $1000 for coilovers lol
Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Please consult another shop and have inspected by someone here to make sure those are the problem.

There's no way you spend that much for that little.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:00 PM

or, you can give me the money and i'll take it to my guy for like 800.00 and do some repairs on my car for the difference.....
Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by AllMaxxedOut
Please consult another shop and have inspected by someone here to make sure those are the problem.

There's no way you spend that much for that little.
Definitely have a member from on here check your car out.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM

do you have "car friends" man.Plz dont spend that $$$ or sell it.let some other people tune in...perhaps some orgers near to you.