4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket Y-Pipe Brackets???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 AM
wants an I35

Aftermarket Y-Pipe Brackets???

alright so i put in a budget Y last weekend, but in order for it to fit we had to remove that brass bracket that held the OEM pipe up to the main cat.

after the budget was in, the bracket appeared to be too small in diameter to fit it. so we just left it out and frankly the whole piping seems pretty loose, like i could go over a harsh bump and it would scratch the ground.

the red line is where the bracket used to be - you can see the rubber holders where it is supposed to attach to.

now when my car is at idle, it seems to rumble and shake (almost like a motor mount shake) more than normal.

my questions are
:

how many of you just left that bracket out when you put your Y pipe in?

how bad is it to do that?

could this be the cause of my increased rumbling at idle?

can we rig the OEM bracket 1/2 inch wider to fit the new pipe? or will it make lots of noise ?

anyone see another solution here? or should i just leave it off?

thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 AM

I need an answer to this as well, since my budget Y pipe is sitting waiting to in my 1996. Aside from the bracket issue, did you feel a power difference with the Y pipe installed on your car? How is the Budget Y pipe sound?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM

My budget doesnt have any bracket support there but if yours is really lose you could take it to a shop and have them weld on a hanger.

By the way im jealous of your clean underbody...damn florida cars.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
I need an answer to this as well, since my budget Y pipe is sitting waiting to in my 1996. Aside from the bracket issue, did you feel a power difference with the Y pipe installed on your car? How is the Budget Y pipe sound?

Thanks,
Zack
well after reading for the past few months about "bees in a can" i was pretty nervous about how it would sound. i want a stealthy, quiet car, not a fart can with the buzzing sound you hear from two blocks away.

i dont know much about exhaust (or cars in general) so it really could have gone any way.

after gettin it installed i LOVED THE SOUND. its close to stock sound, but a little throaty-er and a little deeper. the sound is about as close to perfect as i could have asked for.

and i dunno wtf "bees in a can" (a hollow buzzing?) is cuz i dont hear anything like that at all. its just right.

and no frankly i dont feel that much of an improvement in low-end pull, but there were a lot of other problems associated with other mods we did that day - so its hard to say objectively.
i DO however feel an improvement in mid range and high end pull (like highway acceleration, from 60mph to 80mph). the car seems to respond a lot better at those speeds.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
My budget doesnt have any bracket support there but if yours is really lose you could take it to a shop and have them weld on a hanger.

do you think this would cause an increase in rumbling at idle?

my car seems to not be as "smooth sitting" as it was before the install
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM

Wow I can't believe how little rust there is on that car. I should send you a picture of my ohio maxima. I had to replace the y pipe because it rusted not because I wanted more power.

As for the bracket I got a Warpspeed pipe and I came with a bracket that fit perfectly around the bigger diameter pipe maybe you can order just that part from warpspeed im sure it will fit the budget exhaust.
I wouldn't leave that bracket off either it not only supports the y-pipe it also supports the heavy cat and part of the b-pipe you don't want those rattling around.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
do you think this would cause an increase in rumbling at idle?

my car seems to not be as "smooth sitting" as it was before the install
You need to be more specific...by rumbling at idle, what is rumbling? If you can physically hear your exhaust rattling then i would say yes fix it somehow. If by rumbling you mean the engine just sounds deeper and a little louder, well it should as a y pipe will do that.

Again I dont really know what you mean by 'smooth sitting'
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
wants an I35

ok this is what i mean. and it has nothign to do with noise - it has to do with vibration.

before my spacer + y pipe install, i would be sitting at a red light (in Drive) and my car would be very still. you would have to try to notice the engine running....

however after those two were put in, now when i sit at a red light, i feel a vibrating/rumbling coming through the steering wheel into my hand, and through the brake pedal into my foot - much more noticeable than before the mods.

it seems as if the motor mounts are going, but thats obviously not it because it coincided with my putting these two things on my car.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 AM

My best guess is that it is the bigger y pipe diameter creating a slightly louder exhaust tone causing your car to rumble more. If thats it it shouldn't be anything to worry about. But dont expect your car to feel like stock after modding it.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 AM
wants an I35

yea i really had no idea what to expect. like i said, this is all new to me.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 PM

alright so i put in a budget Y last weekend, but in order for it to fit we had to remove that brass bracket that held the OEM pipe up to the main cat.

after the budget was in, the bracket appeared to be too small in diameter to fit it. so we just left it out and frankly the whole piping seems pretty loose, like i could go over a harsh bump and it would scratch the ground.

the red line is where the bracket used to be - you can see the rubber holders where it is supposed to attach to.

WOW!! did that thing just roll out of the factory.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

For the longest time I just lurked on the threads gaining knowledge and experience, and now I have advice. Sweet
I installed my Budget Y-pipe a month ago, and ran into the same problem as you. Mine would vibrate like hell at idle though because it was banging against that little bar thats held by 2 bolts near the end of the exhaust(putting washers under the bolts will cure this if you experience it). First I tore off the cats's heat shield because it was in the way, then I used my air grinder to cut off as much material as possible from the stock bracket(pretty much the entire u-portion ) until it fit in there. Its raining outside right now, but Ill get some pics as soon as possible.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
WOW!! did that thing just roll out of the factory.
I see dirt.

Gotta love FL.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale
For the longest time I just lurked on the threads gaining knowledge and experience, and now I have advice. Sweet
I installed my Budget Y-pipe a month ago, and ran into the same problem as you. Mine would vibrate like hell at idle though because it was banging against that little bar thats held by 2 bolts near the end of the exhaust(putting washers under the bolts will cure this if you experience it). First I tore off the cats's heat shield because it was in the way, then I used my air grinder to cut off as much material as possible from the stock bracket(pretty much the entire u-portion ) until it fit in there. Its raining outside right now, but Ill get some pics as soon as possible.
greatest noob post ever.....

seriously tho, this is what i want to hear BUT will that hacked up bracket cause rattling as the budget y vibrates against it?

has it been quiet?

has it affected the rumbling at idle?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM

seriously tho, this is what i want to hear BUT will that hacked up bracket cause rattling as the budget y vibrates against it?

has it been quiet?

has it affected the rumbling at idle?
I decided to go ahead and crawl up underneath there-
http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1001446pf5.jpg
It doesn't rattle whatsoever. Even at WOT theres no adverse sounds-only VQ
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
wants an I35

oh i see. you just mounted the bracket to the rubber holders and then screwed that into the Y pipe bolts.

i was thinking of just opening up the OEM bracket, which would basically still be 180 degress of brass....i guess your way is less prone to noise.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 PM

...coming from a noob.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM

oh i see. you just mounted the bracket to the rubber holders and then screwed that into the Y pipe bolts.

i was thinking of just opening up the OEM bracket, which would basically still be 180 degress of brass....i guess your way is less prone to noise.
I did it very quickly as we dont get many open shop days in class (and I had never used my air grinder before), but as I said, it doesn't make any noise at idle/under load, and its a very solid fit. You can't move it at all.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM

i was jeaolus of the underneath of his car too until I saw that it was automatic...lol
Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
i was jeaolus of the underneath of his car too until I saw that it was automatic...lol
nice lol

i have ssautochrome.com y pipe on mine and the fitment was as best as aftermarket gets, the sounds is very beffy and not as loud as i thought it would get. deffly recommend this y pipe.

as said b4 the low end rpm doesn't feel any differ but mid rpm and high in every gear i saw an increase.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor

...coming from a noob that askes some of the most noobest questions.
fixed. @ frank
Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
fixed. @ frank
thank you for the correction
Old 04-21-2008, 07:04 PM

leaving that bracket off will make for some serious rattling especially when you install a catback and the tip rattles against the bumper.. Not so hot..
Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 PM
wants an I35

thank you for the correction
no shame in bein a noob. i took the subway till i was 20. i didnt own a car till i was 21.....

if you want to know the NYC subway system gimme a holler.

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
leaving that bracket off will make for some serious rattling especially when you install a catback and the tip rattles against the bumper.. Not so hot..
what did you use then
Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM

i bet 80% of those parts are new dude. even florida has dirt and rain.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i bet 80% of those parts are new dude. even florida has dirt and rain.
the only new part you can see is the y pipe.

car has 48,000 miles on it
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
and????? auto's are for lazy drivers, i like being able to just pull and drive, easy.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Stock Airbox Supporter #3

ok so what about my bracket that rusted through and now it rattles when i turn it on and off, or go over bumps. I have my stock y-pipe. where do i order that bracket?