4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to remove bracket on right front drive shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 PM

How to remove bracket on right front drive shaft??

I am replacing both my front drive shaft on my '98 maxima. I heard the driver side is easy so I have'nt touch that side yet. But right now my problem is how to remove the bracket that holds the right drive shaft to the engine (the bracket have 3 small 12mm bolts). That are is so tight I can't get any wrenches or sockets in there to get it loose. My question is....how do you guys go about taking that bracket out so you can pull out the right drive shaft? Any tips, advices, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 AM
4th Gen Parts King

A socket with the right size extension.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:31 AM

I wouldn't remove the braket, it's prolly harder to remove than the 3 bolt-plus getting the shaft out with the braket in place is prolly not gona happen. Just use a long handle combination wrench and get them suckas out. I have big hands and can do it you can too...after removing the 3 bolts you're gonna have to give the shaft a good pull or just use a pry bar between the shaft and transaxle. use the search function for more tips.1
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 AM
4th Gen Parts King

It's far easier to remove the bracket and axle together. I have done many axles and wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 AM

Thanks for all your inputs. I was able to take out the bracket bolts and yanked the shaft out along with it. I used several extensions and my bloody hands to do it. It was time consuming as heck, but well worth it. Now, I'm off to do the driver's side. Hopefully, it won't be as painful and time consuming as the right side.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 PM

Ok...little update and again need some suggestion. This time it's the driver's side. I got the old one out with ease, but when I insert the new shaft in, it won't go all the way into the socket. It's aligned with the grooves because it went in 3/4 of the way, but that's it. My question is...is it okay for me to just hammer the other end of the shaft until it goes in? or is there another way to do it? Again, thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by imports_only1
Ok...little update and again need some suggestion. This time it's the driver's side. I got the old one out with ease, but when I insert the new shaft in, it won't go all the way into the socket. It's aligned with the grooves because it went in 3/4 of the way, but that's it. My question is...is it okay for me to just hammer the other end of the shaft until it goes in? or is there another way to do it? Again, thanks in advance.
My drivers side had to be beat in. We put the nut on and then placed a wooden block over the nut and drove it home.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:02 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

NO NO NO NO NO! The drivers side has a C-clip on it, check it out, it should not been bent up or warped, should be fairly tight on the axle. If it is not, you need to either fix the clip yourself, or find a driveshaft shop to install a new one. If you beat the axle in, you are going to damage that clip more, and good luck ever getting the axle back out again.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
NO NO NO NO NO! The drivers side has a C-clip on it, check it out, it should not been bent up or warped, should be fairly tight on the axle. If it is not, you need to either fix the clip yourself, or find a driveshaft shop to install a new one. If you beat the axle in, you are going to damage that clip more, and good luck ever getting the axle back out again.
I wont argue that the way we did it was right, but we changed the axle 3 times chasing a vibration (switched brands and it went away) and 2 of the 3 times the shop had to drive it in to which they told me they have to on most cars. (my brother runs the shop so I'm fairly certain they didnt just make it up)
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ZX9RBART
I wont argue that the way we did it was right, but we changed the axle 3 times chasing a vibration (switched brands and it went away) and 2 of the 3 times the shop had to drive it in to which they told me they have to on most cars. (my brother runs the shop so I'm fairly certain they didnt just make it up)
I have never had to "hammer" in an axle to fit, if its not going in smooth, youre doin somethin wrong. Driver side sometime you have to "tap" the inner joint with a 2x4 so the c ring clicks in, thats bout it.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM

I recommend going ahead and replacing the axle seals while you have everything out.....sure wish I had done that when I replaced my shaft for a torn CV boot