4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KYB AGX vs. KONI YELLOWs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 04:19 PM

KYB AGX vs. KONI YELLOWs

Does anyone out there know how these two shocks compare?
Pro and Cons?
Prices?
Stiffness?
Who has 'em?

Any info would help! THANKS!
Old 11-02-2001, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: KYB AGX vs. KONI YELLOWs

Originally posted by HulaMAX
Pro and Cons?
Prices?
Stiffness?
Who has 'em?

I love my KYB's.

Erik
Old 11-02-2001, 08:04 PM

I have koni

Originally posted by HulaMAX
Pro and Cons?
Prices?
Stiffness?
Who has 'em?

I dont know about KYB but I surely love my konis the **** is on top to adjust them piece of cake.
I highly recommend them.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:50 PM

Re: I have koni

Originally posted by JAY25

I dont know about KYB but I surely love my konis the **** is on top to adjust them piece of cake.
I highly recommend them.
i love my agx. even the rear are easy to adjust.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:31 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

How's the ride?

Also, what drop/springs/wheels/tires you got, since that might help/hurt the ride?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:05 PM

Re: ...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
How's the ride?

Also, what drop/springs/wheels/tires you got, since that might help/hurt the ride?

Thanks.
My ride is weird because I have Cround Control Coils. I am dropped about 1.5" now. I can corner like its on rails and I feel every bump in the road. I am not sure which factors are from the coils and which are from the KYB's.

Erik
Old 11-02-2001, 11:34 PM

im 90% positive its the coils and not your struts giving you that harsh feeling on the road.

next summer my AGX's are goin in along with B&G and all new hardware, boots,bump stops,bearings,spring rubber sleaves, everything i can change out, just to make my suspension 90% brand new
Old 11-03-2001, 05:53 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

friend of mine just bought the kybs/eibachs. i have sprint with factories i wanna get the konis so we can compare. the konis are on my list for next year.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: KYB AGX vs. KONI YELLOWs

I have Koni's but the reputation of KYB AGX is enough to get them instead.

I think Koni's have some negatives:
(1) front inserts. Definitely a liability. As some members have found, the bolt securing the insert can loosen. It may be a good idea to check these periodically and tighten as necessary. Also makes installing somewhat more involved but not difficult. If you have a good drill, you will just need a large pipe cutter.
(2) rear adjustment. Because you need to compress the piston rod fully to adjust these, that means taking the spring/shocks apart. As no spring compressors are needed for the rears in a lowered car, this isn't terribly bad but a pain in the **** nonetheless.
(3) cost more. Given the above, it should cost less IMHO...

At this point, there is no reason not to go KYB AGX. Although some will chime that they don't know how AGX for Maxima will last, it can be said that the long-term performance for other applications has a good track record.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:21 AM

I don't wanna get in a heated debate but...

a friend of mine had the agx's installed on his eibach 2.25 inch dropped accord. Even on the 'softest' setting the ride was very harsh and the shox made weird squeaking noises in the back to prompt passengers to ask, "why does your car sound like it's gonna fall apart?" I'm not saying that the shox were the sole culprit to the bad ride, but im pretty sure it was also a factor. In my oppinion shox no matter how stiff the springs, should be able to absorb most of the shock and provide somewhat of a comfortable ride without compromising performance. In my oppinion the Koni yellows offer both of those crucial elements and are priced the way they are for a reason. In the end I think you get what you pay for.

Sure it's not the easiest to install or adjust, but nothing that a savy automotive enthusiast like yourself can't handle.

As for koni reputation goes.... if its good enough for porsche, and ferrari, than it's good enough for me.
Old 11-03-2001, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: I don't wanna get in a heated debate but...

Originally posted by NISMO808
a friend of mine had the agx's installed on his eibach 2.25 inch dropped accord. Even on the 'softest' setting the ride was very harsh and the shox made weird squeaking noises in the back
I think the problem here is that your friend drives a Honda
Old 11-03-2001, 02:27 PM

Re: I don't wanna get in a heated debate but...

Originally posted by NISMO808
a friend of mine had the agx's installed on his eibach 2.25 inch dropped accord. Even on the 'softest' setting the ride was very harsh and the shox made weird squeaking noises in the back to prompt passengers to ask, "why does your car sound like it's gonna fall apart?" I'm not saying that the shox were the sole culprit to the bad ride, but im pretty sure it was also a factor. In my oppinion shox no matter how stiff the springs, should be able to absorb most of the shock and provide somewhat of a comfortable ride without compromising performance. In my oppinion the Koni yellows offer both of those crucial elements and are priced the way they are for a reason. In the end I think you get what you pay for.

Sure it's not the easiest to install or adjust, but nothing that a savy automotive enthusiast like yourself can't handle.

As for koni reputation goes.... if its good enough for porsche, and ferrari, than it's good enough for me.
that was also an accord....
Old 11-03-2001, 04:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I don't wanna get in a heated debate but...

Originally posted by black019

that was also an accord....
And also a 2 1/4" drop!!! I didn't know Eibach made a drop that low for Honda but it is a given that that kind of drop will be harsh. The dude may have even cut a coil to get it that low--make that doubly harsh.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: I don't wanna get in a heated debate but...

Originally posted by Mishmosh

And also a 2 1/4" drop!!! I didn't know Eibach made a drop that low for Honda but it is a given that that kind of drop will be harsh. The dude may have even cut a coil to get it that low--make that doubly harsh.
eibachs can drop accords up to 4 inches i think. or so ive heard.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:26 PM

nismo: its prolly the dust cover making the squeaking noise. or it could be the springs hitting each other. if its the dust cover, just take it out. if its the springs hitting each other, you can buy some clear hose crap from home depot and insert it, into the coils.

meanest drop ive heard for an accord are the sprint extremes.

anyway...

i have koni/sprints on my max, and the ride is pretty bumpy. but thats cuz of the sprints. what you expect for a 2'' drop? i had H&Rs b4 and the ride was smoother, but the drop was wack.
i set my konis on full stiff when i go to the track or on canyon runs, and they perform pretty good. My friends(w/ hondas) got AGXs and they dont have any complaints. I woulda got AGXs if they were out a year and half ago......