4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How water tight is your 4th gen Maxima? Does your trunk leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:21 AM

How water tight is your 4th gen Maxima? Does your trunk leak?

Hi everyone,
I think I might have some water leaking issues on my 1996 Maxima. I know for a FACT that my car was never in an accident, so I am sure that it not adding to the issue. However it seems that when I get into my Max it often seems humid inside, and many times the windshield will fog up quickly. I THINK my trunk might be letting some water in. If so how can I fix that? Is it usually the gasket that goes bad? Are there any other common ares for 4th gen's to leak? What have you done to fix any and all water leaks?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 05-20-2008, 06:04 AM
The Golden One

No leaks.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
No leaks.

Is your car humid inside at times?

Zack
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
Is your car humid inside at times?

Zack
Only when it's been sitting in the sun for a long time?

My car has zero issues other than the fact that my Bi-Xenon harness for my headlights has a loose connection. Everything else is 100% as it's supposed to be.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Only when it's been sitting in the sun for a long time?

My car has zero issues other than the fact that my Bi-Xenon harness for my headlights has a loose connection. Everything else is 100% as it's supposed to be.
Ya always manage to conveniently rub in the fact that you own a bixenon retro don't ya Ilyak??? J/k man.

Seriously though, Aside from a minor sunroof leak ONLY at high pressure touchfree carwashes (not from rain), I have no water leaks whatsoever. As far as the trunk goes, I would inspect the suspected area from inside the cabin via the backseat "hole" to see if its wet after rain or whatnot. My reasoning for this is because everytime I open my trunk after a rainfall or carwash, water IS in fact in the trunk - but its due to the dripping in from the exterior upon opening the trunk lid.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 AM

i get leaks sometimes because my spolier is loose on one side so water gets in through the holes that it used to be attached through if enough water builds up around them.

maybe you might want to check that those areas are completely sealed (if you have a spoiler) ?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM
jojo98maxima

no leaks in my 97 GLE max

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM

none on my 95
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by maximabebe
Ya always manage to conveniently rub in the fact that you own a bixenon retro don't ya Ilyak??? J/k man.

Seriously though, Aside from a minor sunroof leak ONLY at high pressure touchfree carwashes (not from rain), I have no water leaks whatsoever. As far as the trunk goes, I would inspect the suspected area from inside the cabin via the backseat "hole" to see if its wet after rain or whatnot. My reasoning for this is because everytime I open my trunk after a rainfall or carwash, water IS in fact in the trunk - but its due to the dripping in from the exterior upon opening the trunk lid.
You have the sexiest Maxima on this site in my opinion so we are equal. I keep forgetting...are you female? Maybe we can work something out .
Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by rex3001
i get leaks sometimes because my spolier is loose on one side so water gets in through the holes that it used to be attached through if enough water builds up around them.

maybe you might want to check that those areas are completely sealed (if you have a spoiler) ?

Yeah thats why my trunk leaks...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM

My reasoning for this is because everytime I open my trunk after a rainfall or carwash, water IS in fact in the trunk - but its due to the dripping in from the exterior upon opening the trunk lid.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM

You have the sexiest Maxima on this site in my opinion so we are equal. I keep forgetting...are you female? Maybe we can work something out .
Sorry bro, I'm 30/M....But maybe we....nevermind. We can't.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM

I LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM
The Golden One

Ewww...gross. *slaps himself*.

lol...change your screen name. Bebe is a female clothing line lol...and it throws me off haha.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM

This is why we can't have females on the internet.

Mine leaks because I drilled holes in it for the spoiler.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM

haha

Ewww...gross. *slaps himself*.

lol...change your screen name. Bebe is a female clothing line lol...and it throws me off haha.

LMAO^^^

But in response to the topic at hand. I actually had a nice leak in my trunk by my left brake lights. Nothing a hot glue gun didnt fix. However ever since i got my smokes tails and replaced the oem the leak has returned and ive been to lazy to fix it But now thats it warm il get to it.

Also its weird about the interior also. i feel like my car was drowned because the railings of the power seats are rusty???!!! may-b someone left the sunroof open durring vaca? but theres not water damage significantly other than that. it does feel humid in my car but its really not as bad as im makeing it seem.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Hi everyone,
I think I might have some water leaking issues on my 1996 Maxima. I know for a FACT that my car was never in an accident, so I am sure that it not adding to the issue. However it seems that when I get into my Max it often seems humid inside, and many times the windshield will fog up quickly. I THINK my trunk might be letting some water in. If so how can I fix that? Is it usually the gasket that goes bad? Are there any other common ares for 4th gen's to leak? What have you done to fix any and all water leaks?

Thanks,
Zack
uhm i had my sunroof spoiler/deflector on and eveytime it rained i noticed a lil bit of water on the shifter and cup holder area. i sat in the car and saw water dripping from the sunroof buttons/lights. i checked it out and it seemed like the brackets had sunk into the seal of the sunroof. after removing the spoiler and using a heat gun to kinda get the seal back to normal shape i havent gotten any water. idk if maybe this helps you cause my car always smelled humid too and its way betr now.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Zack

I have a 95 se with 145k and have no leaks (thank god!)
do you use your a/c?
the reason I ask is maybe the evap drain is clogged and you are getting water in the cabin that way. check the carpet under the passanger side dash for moisture.to get rid of the smell I suggest a good dose of Fabreeze every couple of days for a while.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM

mine leaks from over the driver door and sometimes from the controls of the sunroof
Old 05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

The funny thing about my car is that water gets in the trunk ok but it can't get out for some reason. So it is watertight but just from the inside.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM

ima in va......so its been raining alot and then the sun just sets on the car so the humid part i have alomost all the time.....but my trunk did leak due to the gasket molding getting old (dry rot) not sure how but when i took it off and installed the new gasket/rubber trim there was alot of cracks. but problem was fixed....not leaking but for the humidity and inside smell i just put fabric softener in the vents so i wont have a little car scent can under the seat or a tree freshener hanging around the car. Plus the smell makes me feel all warm and like a kid cause it smells like i just put the inside of the car in a dryer hahahaha
Old 05-20-2008, 05:56 PM

No leaks at all. 99 max SE.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM

I have a 96 se and I was hit in the trunk and it only dented it a little but it still doesnt leak . see if you can find new trunk seals?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM

I had a slight leak in my trunk for quite a while. The person who owned it prior was hit in the rear left quarter and the person did a $#!t job repairing it and welding it together right. Thanks to that I have rust where the pieces meet underneath the driver/rear door and had a leak where the metals met where the trunk closed. We sealed it up w a lot of automotive glue (whatever its called, my dads the autobody man not me) and haven't had a leak since. But when I did have the leak, the trunk carpet would get soaked after a good rainstorm or a car wash. What a pain it was
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

I had a bad trunk leak when I bought the car, then found alot of evidence that is got slammed in the rear nad not repaired properly. Poured some silicon by the rear window/trunk area and it's been fine since.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:02 AM

If you notice when rain falls in the cracks of the trunk (closed) it runs right down on over the tailights. I have had this problems with all three of my 4th gens. As posted above (too lazy to quote) a quick glue gun or plumbers tape stuffing in te cracks around the tails under trunk lid fixes the problem everytime. It has alot to do with where you live and how those rubber gaskets around the taillights are weathered too.

Still a noob here but thats my experience.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 PM

I recently had this problem and made a thread too. Guys on the org told me to take everything out the trunk and have someone go inside the trunk wit a light and then pour water onver the trunk and u can spot the leak quick.dats wut i did and i found out that it came from the tail light on the right it wasnt sealed good when it was inserted when u screw in the nuts. and on the left it was leaking from one of the nuts. Also alot of water came in from the sides where the water runs down by the tail light. I had a big opening, I just use blackrubber sealant. SO far no more leaks.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM

no leaks fr me thank god
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM

i thought i had a leak then i realized a beer can had got punctured... %uck my life...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by happy4444
i thought i had a leak then i realized a beer can had got punctured... %uck my life...
thats alcohol abuse lol
Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 AM

No leaking whatsoever from my car. All the weather striping is almost like new.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by FreakyG
mine leaks from over the driver door and sometimes from the controls of the sunroof
If you have a sunroof, check the drain tubes. It's in between the headliner, you'll need to remove a few components to get to it.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM

Trunk Leak

Originally Posted by rex3001

Good point about the spoiler. Mine is also a bit loose on one side, but I live in Florida, so I don't get too much rain anyway...

Something else, though. I used to have an archaic VW Jetta the trunk of which would just always keep water. The problem is that once the water is in, it can't really evaporate, since the trunk is closed, it condenses on the inside of the trunk , and drips down again... So I used to keep the trunk ajar to allow the water to evaporate. However, the Jetta has a switch that allowed you to turn the trunk light off. Otherwise, it would just drain your battery.

Is there a switch like that on the Maximas? I acquired mine only recently, but still I couldn't find anything that would keep the light off...
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 AM

no leaks on mine either i have a 97
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Zack
In my maxima I had to play with the metal that holds the rubber seal in order to get the optimal seal. One time it got so bad that I had to remove the rubber seal underneath the spear so the water would drain from the trunk. You may also try lowering the locking mechanism by loosening 2 bolts to get a better seal.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Tha Snatcher

No leaks in my 99
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof Leaks

I did the sunroof repair using the procedure posted elsewhere - thanks!

But I am getting ready to reinstall the headliner, and now there's a little bit of a leak somewhere near the front of the sunroof, it comes down next to the shade bumpers. Any ideas? Align the panel so it squeezes the front seal a bit tighter?

I tried shimming it up so the corners are not recessed below the roof, it didn't help, same with silicone-sealing between the track and the frame, help!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM
95maxdvt

drips when open trunk thats it think its cause of aftermarket tails need sealing r a few years old

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 AM

no leaks in mine
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM

are you sure your windows are fogging due to being dirty?

Quick Reply: How water tight is your 4th gen Maxima? Does your trunk leak?