4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3 codes, but parts are new? bad wiring? help!!! about to give up & junk it

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:18 PM

3 codes, but parts are new? bad wiring? help!!! about to give up & junk it

I'm throwing codes
0102-MAF
0104-speed sensor
1008- EVAP solenoid

but I KNOW for a fact that all three of these ARE NOT BAD!!
I have 2 MAFs and I tried swapping them, same code. One is from another maxima with no codes. I'm thinking bad wiring. This code takes weeks to come back sometimes.

the speed sensor is new and I tested it and it's fine. the speedo reads right the only strange thing is intermittent cruise control. I also assume bad wiring.

EVAP valve is new too, tested and works fine.

I'm so pissed off because I replaced all of these parts and I have to pass emissions in a month. I don't have money to buy another car or replace more parts, what the hell should I do? anyone find breaks in these wires? where were they? Is there an easy ghetto way to just run new wires from the sensors to the ecm? I need
Old 07-03-2008, 06:41 PM

does the car run ok?
maybe you have a bad ecu thats throwing false codes. I have seen that a few times.
I would think that befor wiring issues, especially with three different things.you can always grab a multi meter and check for continuity.another thing to do is while your doing it ,wiggle and pull the wire harnesses around and see if you lose continuity.

about the spedo and cruise, I havent personally exp.this but I have read several threads about cruise not working and people replacing the spedo head and it fixes it...like I said ,I dont know ,it just came to mind when I read about hte cruise problem and speed sensor .
hope this helps
Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 PM

junk it
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 PM

There is nothing common to these sensors and the solenoid except they all connect up to the ECM. The speed sensor signal is fed to the speedometer and is then sent to the automatic speed control module. You can check/reconnect all your connections behind the speedometer and gauges especially the flexible printed circuit board connection. Also check/reconnect the connector(s) on the ECM. These problems do not seem to be related and your best bet maybe trying to fix them one at a time. How often are all these three codes occuring? Do they all happen at once? Are the codes being properly reset after you perform your repairs? The wiring for these items is all over the car so it's not like one area of wiring or connection is bad. You should be able to fix at least one of these problems and then move to the next one. If you provide more information about how the problems are occuring and exactly what you have done maybe I or someone else can help you. I would start at the evap solenoid that is a common problem with our Maximas the solenoid shaft gets rusted and gets stuck. The solenoid is located at the rear of the car under the trunk is that what you changed? There is another valve for Evap in the engine compartment is it possible you are confusing the two?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Nothing to note about the VSS. But both the MAF and EVAP shares the same connector at F36. This is a connector near the left side fuse box. See the warning about this connector in '97 FSM, page EL318.

If you had opened these harness connectors, better go back and recheck them.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 AM

When I got my speed sensor code I replaced the VSS, which didn't clear the the code. Following advice in this forum, I found a brand new speedo on E-bay and replaced the original one. That cured the speed sensor code. Can't help you with the other ones.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:30 AM

what year are you?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Just fixed a similar problem.
Have you had the foot well vent leak water at all?

The connector to the ECU in the passenger foot can corrode if it gets wet. You need to clean the corrosion off the connector pins. I made test blades by crushing various size copper wire. After several hours of probing and testing, the problem went away. I guess I scraped all the corrosion off the pins.

Some of the cleaners like deoxit may be better.
Just a thought.