4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 speed axle leaking... what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 PM

5 speed axle leaking... what do you think

so i have a lsd trans that i swapped... today i noticed the drivers side axle is leaking... now i know the differential bearings could be the problem, and im taking a trip to vegas (4k round trip)... i have some whining noise in first and second gears nothing serious sounding but my question is how long can that leak for until i have to do something...
Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Whatchyou say?

untill it stops leaking .....

I'd check the seal with a light, pull the wheel and take a look. Could just be a bad seal, but (yea, with our cars - unlikely) It's hard to say how long you can let it go. It will get worse the more you drive it and the harder you drive it too. Chi to Vegas .... not sure I would do it in my maxima with that symptom. Sorry mate ..... maybe rent a car or see if the local stealer**** would let you "test drive" one to Vegas.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Maintenance Monster

No way to know. Use the clutch liberally to avoid putting shock loads through the tranny.

Dave
Old 07-04-2008, 08:02 AM

is the axle leaking?
or the tranny leaking?

axle leaking sound like a broken boot.
If you have a leak where the axle seats into the tranny, sounds like the axle seal. Verify by looking with a light.

If the leak is from another location besides the axle seal, verify the liquid as gear fluid or engine oil.

Gear fluid, it could be the bearings or leak thru the input shaft.
Engine oil. its the rear main seal leaking

either way, best to try and get it taken care of before putting so much miles on the car.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 AM

ok let me be more clear.. its not the rear main seal, not the input shaft seal i dropped the trans 2 weeks ago.. it looks like its the axle seal where the leak is coming from.... now im gonna go and take another..
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM

mine has been wet since i bought it months ago. all my gears whine it sounds like a rally car FTL. and i dont baby it. theres so much up and down play where the axles go into the tranny its disgusting. ive just been keeping an eye and topping off with motor oil.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It will leak till theres no oil left, or your diff bearing explodes because of too much free play. I wouldnt travel with that problem but thats just me

-matt
Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
mine has been wet since i bought it months ago. all my gears whine it sounds like a rally car FTL. and i dont baby it. theres so much up and down play where the axles go into the tranny its disgusting. ive just been keeping an eye and topping off with motor oil.
do you mean tranny fluid? or your really putting Motor oil in your tranny?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Whatchyou say?

Wow .... when you need to spend 2k on a new trans ... please let us know so we can laugh at you!

You don't use motor oil in a trans first off .... second, the more you let it go, the worse it will get and eventually leave you stranded someplace. It's your car ... but don't post on here when others are concerned about a problem and you basicly let your car go to shi7 ... so you are telling F550 to do the same ??? Try helping yourself by fixing your car so that others might actually respect what it is you have to say.

: end rant :
Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I love lamp.

You said you had the trans out, did you do seals then? It could be the seal wasn't installed right and could be why it's leaking.

S
Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 PM

no i did not do any seals... i changed the flywheel cuz the one i had wasnt balanced correctly.. like i said it doesnt leak anywhere except the driver side axle seal.. this really sucks cuz im leaving monday to go to vegas and i need to figure out what im gonna do.. i just noticed this fuucken leak this week too...

im gonna go under the car and make sure that its leaking form there and not the case itself..
Old 07-04-2008, 12:04 PM

nah i didnt mean tranny fluid......gear oil. sorry for all the anger and confusion it has caused.

and where do you get 2k for a rebuilt. you know damn well thats too much. i pull tranny=free. buy rebuild kit 2-250. have nissan mechanic rebuild it= 250. i know some people pay 2 grand but that aint me.

it also doesnt seem the OP is in a rush .he asked how long can i let it leak before i have to do something. your post was useless and offered no help. i answered his question and gave him my opinion on his problem so blow me.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 PM

ok so i checked it out.. there is a small leak form the driver axle... i grabbed the axle and it does move in and out about 3 mm... BUT cant that mean that the clip isnt holding the axle in all the way..?? guys i need some answers cuz im gonna be fuucked come monday
Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its not in and out movement, its side to side and up and down movement that is important.

-matt
Old 07-04-2008, 01:18 PM

ok in that case it doesn't move at all...... but how much is it supposed to go in and out?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I love lamp.

Well you can see if any parts store has a driver seal. You could try replacing it. Considering it's location, it shouldn't be too hard to do. How does your oil level look anyway?

S

Side unrelated note: I wanted to see what your car looks like with the spring boosters.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM

yeah grab the axle and try and move it up and down, thats what matters. honestly if i was you i would have faith in my car and just make sure the tranny is topped off and enjoy your trip. the tranny will not just blow up you definatly have time to think about what you want to do.

like i said im sure i have one of the worst tranny on the org but im aware of its condition and would not hesitate to take my car on a trip. a little bit of in and out movement is ok but the whining sound( like the one that JTZMAX makes LOL" is your differential bearing. these trannys are known for that and a rebuild is inevitable..could be months or years.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:54 PM

yeah grab the axle and try and move it up and down, thats what matters. honestly if i was you i would have faith in my car and just make sure the tranny is topped off and enjoy your trip. the tranny will not just blow up you definatly have time to think about what you want to do.

like i said im sure i have one of the worst tranny on the org but im aware of its condition and would not hesitate to take my car on a trip. a little bit of in and out movement is ok but the whining sound( like the one that JTZMAX makes LOL" is your differential bearing. these trannys are known for that and a rebuild is inevitable..could be months or years.

werd yea i does whine a little only after like 3.5k rpms... i checked the the level today and its still full...

ill take pics of the spring booster.. honestly so far im very happy with the results they work great..
Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 PM

You could have nicked the seal when you were installing the axle...but I think that you would have noticed a leak a day or 2 after installing the tranny. I would replace the axle seals and go from there.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
You could have nicked the seal when you were installing the axle...but I think that you would have noticed a leak a day or 2 after installing the tranny. I would replace the axle seals and go from there.
yea i did notice it 2 or 3 days after... it was a lot worse before... like 3 weeks ago i was working on the struts and all of a sudden i noticed a leak.. i dunno.. this totally blows chunks out of my ***... i wiped the leak well see how bad it is in the morning..
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 PM
mod or sell?

is the seal bottomed out in the trans?
they aren't supposed to be pushed all the way in, they are supposed to be flush with the case.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:22 PM

You could have nicked the seal when installing/removing the axle. I find the maxima trannies are kinda noisy, especially in first and second, i know every 5spd maxima ive driven has.

If you cannot feel any up/downwards movement in the axle, it is most likely okay. Id replace the seal, go from there, if it starts to leak again, then the problem is not from the seal.

If it makes you feel any better my car started leaking tranny fluid from the drivers side axle seal at 71,600km. The car was driven normally till 246,000kms. From 246,000kms till 282,000 it was **** kicked day in day out. Im talking, every other 1-2 shift was chirped, clutch drops, fast shifting. My dad was easy on the car, i on the other hand was not. Finally it got to a point where there was so much play, first gear hit the diff and it stopped moving lol, thank god i was pulling down my driveway.,

You should be fine for your trip, but take it easy on the tranny!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by JtzMax
untill it stops leaking .....

I'd check the seal with a light, pull the wheel and take a look. Could just be a bad seal, but (yea, with our cars - unlikely) It's hard to say how long you can let it go. It will get worse the more you drive it and the harder you drive it too. ...
So .... this was one of the first posts in here and what is the first thing I suggested? It's his car, if he feels confident it'll make the tirp, then do it. It's not my car, so I don't know.

Oh ... notice my sig, that is my trany rebuild write up, so my trans doesn't whine anymore, thank you!