4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 AM

What else?

This weekend I'm taking the car to a friend of mine (mechanic) and he's doing this:
- engine oil plus filter (Castrol GTX 0W30 fully synthetic and Nissan OEM filter)
- gearbox oil
- knock sensor (he has to take the intake out because of this: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...preciated.html)
- headers, y-pipe, b-pipe (I don't want to touch the cat converter and the muffler seems fine - for now)

The question:

As long as he's working on it (intake and exhaust), what else can he do/check?

P.S. The car has 88k miles and the 60k and 75k miles dealer check-up has been done.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by curiosul
This weekend I'm taking the car to a friend of mine (mechanic) and he's doing this:
- engine oil plus filter (Castrol GTX 0W30 fully synthetic and Nissan OEM filter)
Why 0w-30?

- gearbox oil
I'm assuming you're 5MT, you mentioned brand of engine oil, why not do the same here?

- knock sensor (he has to take the intake out because of this:
A trillion members will say you do not have to remove the IM for this, and 2 or 3 of us will say you do, and should in order to apply the correct amount of torque on the bolt.

Stop having a hernia in that thread, and get a Cattman b-pipe, or have a shop weld in the pieces that need replacing.

- headers, y-pipe, b-pipe (I don't want to touch the cat converter and the muffler seems fine - for now)
He's doing headers and y-pipe? What brand?

As long as he's working on it (intake and exhaust), what else can he do/check?
Plugs & grounds.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
A trillion members will say you do not have to remove the IM for this, and 2 or 3 of us will say you do, and should in order to apply the correct amount of torque on the bolt.
Consider me a part of that club. Then again my UIM/LIM have been taken off of my car so many times...it's second nature by now.

That, and the only thing it takes to get it off is the throttle cable, wiring harness, intake plumbing, two vac lines, and the 4 bolts at the front...no brackets, EGR tube, or any other stock crap that makes it a PITA at first.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Jamaha80

If the tranny has not been serviced before now (fluid flush), leave it alone. It's best to leave the friction material inside as an insulator to worn parts if the tranny was not regularly serviced every 30k miles. Other than that, sounds good.
Nothin wrong with using 0W in an engine likely to have some degree of sludge build up/less than optimal circulation. Kind of like how old people should take asprin daily.
I also didn't have to remove the Intake mani. to do the KS, but I also had to enlist my wife's hands into the situation (nnnnnnnice.)

Last edited by Jamaha80; 07-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pmohr
Consider me a part of that club. Then again my UIM/LIM have spent more collective time off of the car than on...
Pretty sure it's you me and Mike, but I'm also pretty sure you knew that too.

Popping the A33B IM is getting to be as easy as 5 minutes lately.

Originally Posted by Jamaha80
If the tranny has not been serviced before now (fluid flush), leave it alone. It's best to leave the friction material inside as an insulator to worn parts if the tranny was not regularly serviced every 30k miles. Other than that, sounds good.
Nothin wrong with using 0W in an engine likely to have some degree of sludge build up. Kind of like how old people should take asprin daily.
This would depend on if he was AT or MT. I still don't believe in that though.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Jamaha80

This would depend on if he was AT or MT. I still don't believe in that though.
Right about wether it's auto/manual. As far as believing in it.... Thats totally up to you. Thousands of engineers/trained technicians tend to believe though, and I take what they have to say more seriously than org memebers/myself

Last edited by Jamaha80; 07-15-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Right about wether it's auto/manual. As far as believing in it.... Thats totally up to you. Thousands of engineers/trained technicians tend to believe though, and I take what they have to say more seriously than org memebers/myself
It may be true, but I have yet to see proof of it on either of my Maximas. I usually demand facts before I believe theories.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Meh....bought my 97 with 107,000 and the previous(first owner) said she stopped going in for the service at Nissan after the first few years and she only had the oil changed at interval but no recollection of tranny service since a routine one from the dealer in like 2001. I changed the A/T fluid about 3 months after getting the car,against the opinion of some also, and have zero problems. Used Amsoil for the record also, I have to mention Im pretty hard on my tranny too...at the track once or twice a month and daily trips to the redline. I dunno, am I the exception to the rule or not but I would do it again in that situation with confidence.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Jamaha80

You changed it yourself? You had to have seen some clutch materieal/metal filings come out with the old fluid. Regardless, it's not something thats going to outright kill your tranny, by not flushing it for a long time, and then flushing. But it has been said and known by some educated people (and some not) that doing so can affect tq converter function in a bad way.

It may be true, but I have yet to see proof of it on either of my Maximas. I usually demand facts before I believe theories.
It's not a theory or conspiracy. The fact is, in REAL basic terms.... If there are 2 plates spinning next to each other with velcro between to link them together as 1, and you take away some of that velcro, you are creating a weak link. Even if it is parts of velcro that have naturaly worn away and are just floating around, they effectively create solid space between the worn parts.
tq converter and flex plate are a lot like a clutch and flywheel huh?

Last edited by Jamaha80; 07-15-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

I see the logic but have yet to be adversely affected, that was my point.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Jamaha80

Gotcha.

Make sure he takes off and cleans out your EGR tube depending on your yr. Don't know if 99's have them.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 PM

I'll try to answer:
1: MT, Amsoil 75W90
2: As you can see in the pictures in the link I posted, there's no way I can change the KS without taking off the intake
3: Headers and Y-pipe bought on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...266055432&rd=1
4: The B-pipe is from Stillen

Thank you very much for all the input!