4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

check engine light IACV related

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 PM

check engine light IACV related

few weeks ago i had 3 codes which two of them have been fixed they were knock sensor wich a bought at ebay and replaced my self (thanks to this forum where a learned how to doit) and the MAF sensor which i also just cleaned it (thanks again to this forum)
then i cleaned the IACV and now i only get 1 code (05 05) the guy at autozone gave a list that he did print out of the pc and this is what the list said:

definition:
IAC circuit condition or idle speed higher / lower than expected
explanation:
the ECM has detected that the IAC counts are higheror lower than expected. the engine is not in its expected range.
probable causes
1-vacuum leak on engine
2-dirty throttle body
3-IAC motor defective
4-poor electrical connection to the IAC valve

i already cleaned the throttle body and the IACV also checked for any vacuum leaks.
but the light its still on and i already reset it like 3 times
inspection got to be done and i am afraid is not going to pass.
does anyone knows what else to do i how to get rid of the engine light just to pass the inpesction..??
thanks!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by sergiovv
few weeks ago i had 3 codes which two of them have been fixed they were knock sensor wich a bought at ebay and replaced my self (thanks to this forum where a learned how to doit) and the MAF sensor which i also just cleaned it (thanks again to this forum)
then i cleaned the IACV and now i only get 1 code (05 05) the guy at autozone gave a list that he did print out of the pc and this is what the list said:

definition:
explanation:
the ECM has detected that the IAC counts are higheror lower than expected. the engine is not in its expected range.
probable causes
1-vacuum leak on engine
2-dirty throttle body
3-IAC motor defective
4-poor electrical connection to the IAC valve

i already cleaned the throttle body and the IACV also checked for any vacuum leaks.
but the light its still on and i already reset it like 3 times
inspection got to be done and i am afraid is not going to pass.
does anyone knows what else to do i how to get rid of the engine light just to pass the inpesction..??
thanks!!!
0505 means no problem detected, so that's a good thing: As far as getting rid of the cel. I'm too sure. Maybe someone else wanna chime in..

Last edited by knight71; 07-20-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM

definition:
That's a definition of the OBDII P0505 Code wich is IACV. As was said earlier, 55 means no problem were detected. In the FSM you would find all OBD and related Nissan codes
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by lexoid
That's a definition of the OBDII P0505 Code wich is IACV. As was said earlier, 55 means no problem were detected. In the FSM you would find all OBD and related Nissan codes
Nissan really should've used a different numbering scheme to prevent confusion with OBD-II codes (like the 5.5s).

In any case, OP: did you check the codes manually, or with a scanner?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
did you check the codes manually, or with a scanner?
the guy at autozone did check it with that device they have

then i did reset the computer by turning that little screw by the gas pedal and after that the light went off but as soon as i start going oout of the parking lot the light came back..........
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM

the guy at autozone did check it with that device they have

then i did reset the computer by turning that little screw by the gas pedal and after that the light went off but as soon as i start going oout of the parking lot the light came back..........
Before reseting the "Check Engine" light, what code it was blinking out? Was it 25 (IACV)?

I had a bad IACV for a while, but got 25 error code only once. Turned out my IACV had a bad winding. If you are getting the same code (nissan code 25), then check your IACV. Look into FSM for more details, but generaly, there's a 6 pin connector on the IACV. Measure resistance from from the row's central pin to the row's outer pins and it should be around 29 ohms
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Before reseting the "Check Engine" light, what code it was blinking out? Was it 25 (IACV)?
i saw the blinks but didn't count them ... but i 'll do that as soon as i got out of work tomorrow... thank you men.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:50 PM

Look into FSM for more details, but generaly, there's a 6 pin connector on the IACV
i just checked the blinks and its 2 long blinks and 5 short blinks so i guess you were right but now what do mean by "FMS" and did you replace the IACV when you did get the code??
Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
No more Maximas...

i just checked the blinks and its 2 long blinks and 5 short blinks so i guess you were right but now what do mean by "FMS" and did you replace the IACV when you did get the code??
FSM, not FMS.

See sig.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM

FSM stands for Factory Service Manual. Check Pmohr's profile. You'll find a lot more details on IACV troubleshooting in FSM

I've replaced mine, because one of four windings was fried, displayed 150 kOhms instead of 30 Ohms. It should be possible to replace windings without removing IACV assembly, but it may be worth to remove it just to clean IACV if it never was done before. Just get a IACV gasket beforehand. Shouldn't be too expensive.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM

I too replaced my IACV after I started regularly getting the 25 code. The new valve from the dealer was about $180, and the gasket was a few dollars more.

After getting the old valve out and seeing the carbon build up inside, I realized that just a cleaning (along with reinstalling with the new gasket, of course) was probably all that was needed.

But since I had already bought the new valve, I just went ahead and installed it. No more code 25's.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 AM

WOW !! i am impressed about how much information does the FSM (Factory Service Manual) has and how it explains everthing that could be wrong ,.......i am gonna do all of the trouble diagnosis.