4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stupid Suspension Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Stupid Suspension Problems..

For the past few months, after I've lowered my car on AGX's and Eibach's, I've had multiple front end problems with my car. It all started with the outer ring of my crank pulley breaking loose and pushing in, crushing my CPS and snapping the power steering belt (unrelated, but still). Took about 2 weeks to finally get it back on the road, waiting for parts and such when not maybe a week and a half after that, my driver side wheel bearing takes a ****. Although I would like to state I had various front end noises prior, mostly from the rotor scraping brake dust cover.

Anyway, after I get that fixed, THE SAME DAY I put the hub back on, that night, my car develops a rotational clunking noise which progressively gets worse until finally my passenger side wheel flies off as I'm going about 10-15 mph down a street with moderated traffic with no place to turn off. Got the wheel back on, limped home and proceeded to replace all studs (which where stripped, although I have no idea how).

Now, about two weeks late, the driver side is making the same rotational scraps or clunks, sounding like rubber even. Started about 4-5 miles from my house, but it didn't seem to progressively get worse. Got it home, jacked the car up and the driver side wheel while on the hub has play. Took the wheel off a double checked every single bolt I have removed on that side, and all where tight except the nut for the ball joint nut. It was actually hand loose. Tightened it back up, but the wheel back on and nothing improved. I did not use the ball joint fork to get the hub off, and made sure not to even pinch the joint. But could that be it? And if not that, what else could it possibly be?

Last edited by KrayolaSE-L; 08-19-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Mispell
Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

sabotage...do you have a high life insurance policy?
more seriously, how much are you dropped and did you get alignment done after lowering? lowering may cause suspension issues.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
sabotage...do you have a high life insurance policy?
more seriously, how much are you dropped and did you get alignment done after lowering? lowering may cause suspension issues.
Eibach's lower the car about 1.5 in the front. Haven't got an alignment done, but honestly, I've only driven my car like 200-300 miles in the last 3-4 months do to all these issues.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

i've been told by my suspension guy that allignment is the 1st thing to do after dropping or lifting a ride because everything will start falling apart. i know he's not bs'ing because he only charges $40 for front allignment - that's not a whole lot of money for all the work - no lasers etc, just old skool turn tables.