4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
"DRAG" A game of thousandths

what could this be?

ok i was driving around last night and my car just starting bucking and stuttering really bad, i had to pull over 3 or 4 times to check things to make sure everything was ok and not leaking b4 i got home, which it was.... fuel pressure was in the norm (but the afr on my wideband went way lean all the way up to the 20s!!) and it wasnt overheating smoking and no funny smells so when i get home i get no codes that would make it drive any differently so this is leading me to think it could be coilpacks or knock sensor as i know they dont always throw codes except im not sure if they will cause it to run lean or anything so can i get a little help?!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Offset Is Everything.

a cylinder misfire (coilpack, injector, sparkplug) would throw a code, specifically which cylinder. check your MAF.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Sorry Im gonna ask a question on your thread, my car is 96 SE basically 100% stock and have been driving it for about a year. I used to get like 26mpg with like 70% stop and go and 30% highway. Now I am barely getting like 22mpg, I ran some B-12 Chemtool through it, changed the fuel filter and have been using Premium for like the past five weeks. The new fuel filter helped but it still act funny. With A/C off at idle the RPM slowly floats 200 up or down from normal (650) and when I shift into neutral while rolling up to a stop it falls to like 400 or 300 shudders and jumps back up to a thousand before it levels off. One final thing besides my life story it has no ***** until like 2000 and sometimes not even until 2700. I know that it doesn't have a ton of low end but driving around town with the A/C on sucks. 1st to 2nd is like dumping the clutch in third and then at 1500 shift to 5th. But the idle with the a/c on is perfect. Today I pulled out one of the plugs and it was sticky around where the treads and the washer were. Here is the weird part the ceramic right near where the spark takes place was ruby pearl (AL0) no joke. What do you think.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Sorry Im gonna ask a question on your thread, my car is 96 SE basically 100% stock and have been driving it for about a year. I used to get like 26mpg with like 70% stop and go and 30% highway. Now I am barely getting like 22mpg, I ran some B-12 Chemtool through it, changed the fuel filter and have been using Premium for like the past five weeks. The new fuel filter helped but it still act funny. With A/C off at idle the RPM slowly floats 200 up or down from normal (650) and when I shift into neutral while rolling up to a stop it falls to like 400 or 300 shudders and jumps back up to a thousand before it levels off. One final thing besides my life story it has no ***** until like 2000 and sometimes not even until 2700. I know that it doesn't have a ton of low end but driving around town with the A/C on sucks. 1st to 2nd is like dumping the clutch in third and then at 1500 shift to 5th. But the idle with the a/c on is perfect. Today I pulled out one of the plugs and it was sticky around where the treads and the washer were. Here is the weird part the ceramic right near where the spark takes place was ruby pearl (AL0) no joke. What do you think.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HiMi5SPD
Double posting and threadjacking.......

Please use and post in this thread until you can start your own thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM

check ur maf just unplug it and plug it back in and see if it works
Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
a cylinder misfire (coilpack, injector, sparkplug) would throw a code, specifically which cylinder. check your MAF.
Not necessarily. Generally you'll start off with a P0300 (if you get a code at all), and if you're lucky you'll get a P030x.

MAF is a good bet, but I don't believe it's misfiring on you. Your AFR should spike incredibly rich if a cylinder wasn't getting spark. Sounds more fuel delivery, but since it's intermittent most likely it's a metering problem; the MAF.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 PM
"DRAG" A game of thousandths

ok i just figured it out thank God! after checking rechecking and rechecking some more only to find out that all sensors r good i just sat there looking at the car thinking about what was wrong and something made me think what if a wire is loose goin into the ecu.... i pull it out and sure enough an injector wire was pulled right out so i restripped rewired and that was the problem! how lucky was that?!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Double posting and threadjacking.......

Please use and post in this thread until you can start your own thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html
Sorry, I have been a member here for almost a year and haven't gotten 15 posts in. I will respect this rule from here forward, but why should I have to post 15 times when I don't ever really have anything helpful to say or some intelligible input. I apologize to the person that started this thread, sincerely, did not mean to offend you in anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by HiMi5SPD
Sorry, I have been a member here for almost a year and haven't gotten 15 posts in. I will respect this rule from here forward, but why should I have to post 15 times when I don't ever really have anything helpful to say or some intelligible input. I apologize to the person that started this thread, sincerely, did not mean to offend you in anyway.
It's in place to prevent massive spam...'attacks'.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
It's in place to prevent massive spam...'attacks'.
Thanks even though I didn't read the obvious sticky for noobs (IE me) and learn about thread jacking and such. I did read the Frequently Asked Questions Section and noticed the part about why that rule is in place and that there is no way around it so on and so forth. Being a member here is a privilege and not a right etc. I chose to do all that figuring it was wrong (intentional).

Last edited by HiMi5SPD; 09-11-2008 at 06:27 AM.