4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Electrical Issues

okay well... i noticed maybe a month ago that randomly, when my headlights were on that they along with all my cabin lights would go dim and bright (almost a flashing dim/bright/dim/bright). Having alternator issues before of course i think the worst but it stops. Every once in a while it would do it again but stop within 10sec so i began to down play it. More recently i noticed that while this dimming was happening that sometimes 2 red lights flashed.. so quickly that i could not see which ones but i know that its the battery and brake lights.... now. i had those 2 lights on constantly before and it meant alternator. i've been through 2 since i got the car and my last one died not even a year ago and i had a brand new one put it (1/10/08 to be exact). i went down to autozone and had both the battery and alty checked and both come up fine... what could this be? is it really my brand new alty starting to sh** the bed already??

keep in mind it seems to happen for only a very short period of time.. it isnt constantly. and it doesnt seem to happen due to a definite reason.. not just when my headlights are on or at idle.. if anything it seems that maybe it happens more when the car is cold (just started up before up to proper operating temp). i am not running anything out of the ordinary that would be sucking juice (amps, extra speakers/subs). its a 95 SE with 211,xxx miles on it and is running 2 codes. 0707 for rear O2 sensor and 0302 for EGR.

any thoughts anyone has would be great... if this is another alty idk what i'm going to do....
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
mod or sell?

it's either your belt slipping or your alternator.
I'm thinking belt because of the way your issues are happening.
replace your belt and adjust the tension to spec
Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 PM

could be an alt...volt. reg. maybe going bad ...
I know this might sound strange but what condition are your battery terminals in?? I would start there.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:42 PM

battery terminals are brand new.. had them replace (they were frayed) when the last alty was installed..

also.. i just noticed that the fuse for my power mirrors (side view mirrors) keeps on blowing.. i noticed that it was blown a few months ago and replaced them.. went to move my mirrors.. fuse is blown again. and when driving back from class tonight, i noticed that the battery and brake light flashed on again.. this time my front speakers went out for a good 10sec when it happened.