4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe + OEM Exhaust or Catback w/o Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Y-Pipe + OEM Exhaust or Catback w/o Y-Pipe

I've been reading, learning and absorbing... lot's of opinions out there so I'll ask for more of those.

I've read that installing a y-pipe in combo with an aftermarket catback generally leads to a nasty/ricey sounding 4th Gen VQ30.

I know that, depending on the system, installing a catback alone can result in a really nice sound not to mention the other improvements over stock.

Anyone have an opinion on the sound quality and added performance resulting from just installing a y-pipe... y-pipe through an OEM exhaust?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM

I have a y-pipe with OEM cat-back, I notice no sound difference whatsoever, which makes sense because the stock resonator and muffler are still in place. Those are the only components that should realistically change the tone of the exhaust, for the most part. And yes that 16-20hp is still there.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If you like noise get a cat back.
If you like power get a Y pipe.
Best of both worlds is get a Y pipe and B pipe.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I've been reading, learning and absorbing... lot's of opinions out there so I'll ask for more of those.

I've read that installing a y-pipe in combo with an aftermarket catback generally leads to a nasty/ricey sounding 4th Gen VQ30.

I know that, depending on the system, installing a catback alone can result in a really nice sound not to mention the other improvements over stock.

Anyone have an opinion on the sound quality and added performance resulting from just installing a y-pipe... y-pipe through an OEM exhaust?
As Jsutter stated, catback alone won't add much power wise. Ypipe is more significant.

Ypipe alone won't change the sound much at all from my experience. Full system will change the sound a lot more noticeably. Sound depends on what catback you get and whether or not a resonator is made part of the system IMO. I had Stillen's catback originally with a stock ypipe (how it came from previous owner) and it sounded like crap (raspy). Once I added a ypipe (Cattman) the same crappy sound was still there, just a little bit deeper. Once I dropped Stillen's catback and went with Cattman's, the rasp went away and I had nice sounding system. Just a tad louder than OEM at idle/cruising, and a bit more louder at WOT. Overall, I was very pleased.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:58 PM

warpspeed y, magniflow hi-flow cat, custom b-pipe, and magnaflow street series, not too expensive sounds good, not real ricy, has a little bite
http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-Sound-from-Outside-New
Old 10-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMO if you can find an exhaust shop to make you an equal length Y pipe like the OEM one out of 2.5" mandrel bent tubing do that. The fact that the aftermarket Ys are not equal length is the reason for no Maxima with one having an amazing sound.

Do you want more power or do you just want the sound?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM

if you want a good sounding maxima, dont get a ypipe just get a muffler/some kind of exhaust....if u have a y pipe, it makes it raspy...but adds a good amount of hp! theres those few setups that dont sound raspy with a catback/ypipe combo...like mine =]
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RuSSiAnMax415
if you want a good sounding maxima, dont get a ypipe just get a muffler/some kind of exhaust....if u have a y pipe, it makes it raspy...but adds a good amount of hp! theres those few setups that dont sound raspy with a catback/ypipe combo...like mine =]
What is your setup?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Schnell kaputt

When I just had my y-pipe, it reminded me of a Cavelier under 2,000rpms. Above that it sounds fine just a little throaty. Overall it's too small a difference to sacrifice the power gain.

I've also heard just a catback installed (SP1) and it sounds great. It's smooth and a little deeper.

Either way you pay a lot more money for a good sounding exhaust note. You mind as well get the complete Cattman setup.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by bpk01
What is your setup?

warpspeed ypipe, custom 2.5 inch piping...w custom muffler..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUS8RgbXIpY and i had a straight pipe in that vid.....cheap camera recordin it with lots of other noises around..

i should make a clip of how it sounds now.....its not raspy at all
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM

out of all my research, the cattman system was the best one to install. its pricey, but dude new the differences between years and got me parts that fit! nothing like having your daily driver apart with your old exhaust ripped/cut off in the dirt to find out your new exhaust wont bolt up, hang up, or needs to be cut and welded even the 02 sensor bungs are right, and came with plugs!

now if I can just get my F'in exhaust manifolds off without snapping the bolts I would love to install my headers and y so my max can prrr breathin easy
Old 10-12-2008, 04:44 AM
V^___^V

i had wsp y-pipe with stock catback before... it sounds jus like stock and pulls faster above 3,000rpm... then i got greddy sp2 catback on it and it sounded a lil louder and deeper...

lol...i haven't post for the longest time... good old days~
Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Got Retrofit?

I just have a Warpspeed Y-Pipe and personally I really like it. The grumble isn't too much, but its noticeable and sounds great.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by maximagtrkid
warpspeed y, magniflow hi-flow cat, custom b-pipe, and magnaflow street series, not too expensive sounds good, not real ricy, has a little bite
http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-Sound-from-Outside-New
I personally HATE the sound of magnaflows... idk y... might b just me.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Honestly, I think if you are going for sound, I say keep the stock y-pipe, or find an equal length y-pipe.

As restrictive as the stock one is, it is pretty dang close to being equal length and it has a nice sound to it. If you keep your stock resonator and muffler, an unequal length y shouldn't be bad at all, but with a catback that is louder, I guarantee the unequal length will not sound as nice as an equal length y.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Yeah cars with a y pipe tend to sound like crap. That is unless you find a stillen equal length y, in which case you should PM me about it.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM

ive been dying to hack up my warpspeed. equal l ength is where its at. anybody have ideas or experience. i can weld but i guess i need pre bent piping and some ideas...
Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 PM

not to thread jack but does anyone know how a OEM exhaust and y pipe would sound with JUST a magnaflow muffler?

i will need a new muffler after winter I think
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 PM

????? i have a oem exhaust on the maxi and just installed my y-pipe that i have had for about a year or over and the grow it makes is deeper just starting the car not to mention when i gun it
Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM

I just put a ssautocrome y-pipe on I know you guys can give me crap but i noticed a little low end loss and a small high end but barely noticeable. and no sound increase just a little grumble when i turn the car on.

any body else feel a better increase?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 AM

I am not sure what everyone is taking about here when they mention how loud an aftermarket Y pipe will sound. I have a Budget Y pipe on my 1996, and the remainder of the exhaust is stock parts. I DO NOT notice ANY difference in the sound at all! I think my set up is the best of both worlds, extra power, and NO loud sounds, etc. For the money, the Budget Y pipe is the way to go.

Zack