4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another Idle Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another Idle Problem!!

I have a 97 GLE, recently the MAF went bad so I robbed the one out of my 96 SE, all was fine, even better than fine as I had been having starting/idle problems b-fore, so I figured it was the MAF going bad and thought WHOOO HOOO now all is well.....but alas after about 2 days the car is back to it's old tricks of starting and idle problems, by that I mean if you start it it starts right up, but if you do not give it gas it will, just start and then rpms drop to nothing, a restart will start it right up again but the same thing happens, but giving it a little gas will get it running after a few seconds...and we are good to go..... EXCEPT, the idle "hunts" and it will not idle at more than about 500 rpm at a redlight, for instance......IT has, Stillin intake, budget Y pipe, and copper plugs. Now the copper plugs are good, they were just changed, new fuel filter, (last one was horrible dirty) I have not cleaned the TB lately, and I was wondering if there is a way to clean the MAF, (maybe the stillen cone filter is letting too much dirt by??) I have added MULTIPLE extra grounds, all this has no effect on the problem. I am going to sell one of the cars either the 96SE or the 97 GLE, the GLE has a BUNCH of good stuff on it, (new leather, Great sound system, plus the HP parts mentioned above) the 96SE is bone stock, but has a crappy broke BOSE, and some other cosmetic problems. SO with all that said is there anyone that can help me with the 97 and it's idle probs? if I can not resolve this I am going to sell it and keep the bone stock 96SE.....
PLEASE, help me as I really want to keek the 97, I like it better, but I need a car than RUNS, not argues with me every time I start it!! HAHA
Thanks,
John
PS I have searched and searched but have not found a solutions that works, that is the reason for the post, plus the fact it's not stock and I thought someone may have had a similar setup with similar probs.....
Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Have you adjusted the idle at all?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Clean the TB and the IACV, then adjust idle speed to spec.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maybe naive question but (1) how do you adjust the idle speed? (2) what is the spec for a 95 GLE?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 95 Maxima has three symptoms. NOTE: they may be related or not, I don't know.
1) While in 'drive' but stopped e.g. at a stop light, the RPM is ~500 to 550 and I feel the engine running rough; shift to 'neutral' - the RPM goes up to ~750 as it should be and the engine is very smooth.
2) Once or twice a day the battery indicator in the dashboard flashes a couple times and goes away.
3) Once or twice a day the battery plus the brake indicators flash in tandem then go away.

Other info: on the last maintenance / repair they put in a new OEM IACV, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the alternator.
More info: the dealer tech advisor claimed he's seen these symptoms before and they all indicate a marginal / problematic alternator. I told him it's new [actually remanufactured] and he said "yes, remanufactured ones can easily go bad".

What's your opinion? Did you have any of these symptoms? What was the root cause?

GS