4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trans Noise... Input SHaft bearing?>? Sell CAR??/

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Trans Noise... Input SHaft bearing?>? Sell CAR??/

I have had a vibration/rattling noise for some time now, when the car is running in nuetral.
When I push in the clutch, the sound goes away. Does this sound like an input shaft bearing/>?

I have a 98 Black/black leather 5-speed maxima. Last year I spent $1300 to install the nissan FACTORY clutch, master cyl, slave,release bearing, pilot bearing, and several other parts including stainless clutch lines.
I do not want to put that much money into the car now because I am getting ready to buy a new car soon.
1. What will happen if I continue to drive with this problem, will it slowly go or will all of a sudden my car not be operable??

2. If it is the bearing, how much would a full replacement job cost me??

3. With all of the extras I have put into this car and with it only having 122k miles on it --Does anyone want to buy it!!!, what could I expect to get.
KYB struts, Intrax springs, strut bar, Good brakes, 2 New O2 sensors, knock sensor, evap can replaced, Cattman Y-Pipe, Stillen Exhaust, All clear Lights, New Headlights, Brand New Catalytic Converter to go with the rest of the new exhaust, 2001 Stock 17" maxima wheels, Infinity Rear leather seats, Pioneer headunit, Alpine speakers, the list goes on and on but with just putting all that work into replacing the stock clutch and all of that last year I am giving up and taking my losses...

I know I'm just venting... thanks for understanding/ I have had this car for over 5 years but I think its unfortunately time to part with the max. The car is still running and shifting fine, just makes that noise when idling. Thankyou for all your help..
Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
SLOW

Yes, that is a bad input shaft bearing.

A trans rebuild can run you anywhere between $600 and $1500 depending on your area and the shop, and what else might need to be replaced.

If you keep driving on it it will get worse and worse, eventually getting so bad that the input shaft seal may start leaking, eventually ruining the gears because of the play in the shaft, etc. If you aren't willing to do any of the work yourself you're also going to have to pay for removal and reinstallation of the transmission which will definitely cost you a few hundred.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 PM

welcome to the club of nissan 5 spd problems. just find a low miles tranny from the junk yard dont rebuild like i did had some body rebuild mine and did not do a good job only lasted 5 months. bought a used one and no problems at all
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM

part it out