4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CAI = stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 AM

CAI = stalling

I set up my new Ebay CAI and when I went to start the car, it stalled twice. I don't understand what the problem could be.

I never however cut the air box to allow for the plug connecting into the airbox to be attached. it is plugged in but the part with the little resistor on it is just hanging outside the filter. Could this have anything to do with the stalling? It won't stay started for more than 2 seconds. The maf sensor is connected, all hoses ae attached as well as the vaccum hose.

What could it be?? Could someone post pics of theirs?

Mine is a 95 GLE so if anyone else has one with a CAI it would be great..
Old 11-03-2008, 06:41 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Unplug your maf harness, then see if the car runs. if it does, you most likely have a bad maf.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Unplug your maf harness, then see if the car runs. if it does, you most likely have a bad maf.
but the car ran fine before i tried to hook it up...the maf was ok
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
but the car ran fine before i tried to hook it up...the maf was ok

The maf(especially an old maf) can be fragile, sometimes just bumping a old/orginal maf around a little will kill them.

just try it, shouldn't take a minute of your time.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 AM

The maf(especially an old maf) can be fragile, sometimes just bumping a old/orginal maf around a little will kill them.

just try it, shouldn't take a minute of your time.
do you mean just unplug the plug itself? Or take out the maf sensor and run a straight pipe line from the TB to the intake
Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

do you mean just unplug the plug itself? Or take out the maf sensor and run a straight pipe line from the TB to the intake
Just the maf harness, leave the maf sensor itself in place. the ecu will go into "limp home" mode and run a default setting for the maf. the engine will not rev over 2500rpm or somewhere around that # with the maf unplugged.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:18 AM

Just the maf harness, leave the maf sensor itself in place. the ecu will go into "limp home" mode and run a default setting for the maf. the engine will not rev over 2500rpm or somewhere around that # with the maf unplugged.
lol..you were right man...unplugged the maf plug itself and she stayed goin...plugged it back in when it was still going and it stalled...thanks for the help
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

lol..you were right man...unplugged the maf plug itself and she stayed goin...plugged it back in when it was still going and it stalled...thanks for the help
Well, the car stalling when you plug the maf harness back in while the car is running is normal, even a maxima with a good maf will stall when it is plugged back in while the engine is running.

But the fact that it runs fine without it plugged in is the determining factor of a bad maf.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Well, the car stalling when you plug the maf harness back in while the car is running is normal, even a maxima with a good maf will stall when it is plugged back in while the engine is running.

But the fact that it runs fine without it plugged in is the determining factor of a bad maf.
I see...thanks for your help tho...I do have another max for parts so I hope that MAF is still in good shape...I was pretty careful with the one I took out, it didn't take a hard knock, must be pretty fragile...it's actually fairly new too
Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM

What do I do about the plug that was originally attached to the air filter box? There is no box there now so the end of the plug is just hanging there. What does that do? Is it an O2 sensor? Is it needed? Can I just unplug it and get rid of it?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 PM

i think the plug you are talking about is an air temperature sensor. I would relocate it somewhere that it can get some fresh, cold air so i can get a reasonably close reading
Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
i think the plug you are talking about is an air temperature sensor. I would relocate it somewhere that it can get some fresh, cold air so i can get a reasonably close reading
thanks....i think you're right...i'll see what i can do
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 AM

thanks....i think you're right...i'll see what i can do
Question for anyone....if you unplug the MAF harness...it still runs, but is it safe for the car to run without it? Like can I drive the car for a bit with it unplugged....it being in the "Limp home" mode like I was told
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned

Question for anyone....if you unplug the MAF harness...it still runs, but is it safe for the car to run without it? Like can I drive the car for a bit with it unplugged....it being in the "Limp home" mode like I was told
why would you want to do that?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

yeah, you can run it for as long as you want, it's not going to hurt the engine.But you won't have any power above 2500rpm, the engine will fall flat on it's face.

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
why would you want to do that?
probably broke and waiting until payday dude I've been there plenty of times.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM

yeah, you can run it for as long as you want, it's not going to hurt the engine.But you won't have any power above 2500rpm, the engine will fall flat on it's face.

probably broke and waiting until payday dude I've been there plenty of times.
lol...right on the money...they are like $250...i'm not looking for power..just to get it somewhere if need be...as longas I canthen it's a piece of mind
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM

throw some pics up bro
Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Problemchild1one
throw some pics up bro
I need to figure out how to get the pics from my digital camcorder to my computer...it's a dvd camera and it reads the disc as empty..
Old 11-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Banned

i don't want to sound like a smart *** but...have you put you maf in correctly? meaning with the arrow (flow) pointng towards the tb? i wouldn't have asked but sometimes the simple things that are missed cause problems - i knocked my maf down twice putting on the intake and no probs.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 AM

i don't want to sound like a smart *** but...have you put you maf in correctly? meaning with the arrow (flow) pointng towards the tb? i wouldn't have asked but sometimes the simple things that are missed cause problems - i knocked my maf down twice putting on the intake and no probs.
I might have thought that was it, but I don't even need to look at it a second time cause the plug side of the MAF is on the same side it was...the plug wouldn't even reach over if it was on the wrong side.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 AM

I might have thought that was it, but I don't even need to look at it a second time cause the plug side of the MAF is on the same side it was...the plug wouldn't even reach over if it was on the wrong side.
I didn't knock the MAF around or anything...I can't see it damaged or anything...but when I unplugged it it worked...plugged it back in...stalled
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Banned

you wanted pics of a cai setup. http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...xima/?start=20

those are before final tweaks but a general idea. i have the same year/model as you and had no probs. have you checked for codes? maybe a ecu reset will help?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 AM

you wanted pics of a cai setup. http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...xima/?start=20

those are before final tweaks but a general idea. i have the same year/model as you and had no probs. have you checked for codes? maybe a ecu reset will help?
I hope you have your valve cover reconnected and no longer an open port on the intake after the MAF like shown in those pictures.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chillin014
I hope you have your valve cover reconnected and no longer an open port on the intake after the MAF like shown in those pictures.
the vc has a breather on it so i don't get oil fumes in the motor, i'm guessing you're talking about this fitting that's capped off?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
not to sure what you mean....I don't have an adaptor piece like the one he has to replace where it went into the air box. Kinda confusing I know but its the other plug next to the Maf plug...once the air box comes out, then there isn't anywhere to put the resistor end of that plug (AIT)? My set up is a little different than his..i'll try to get some pics
Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Banned

not to sure what you mean....I don't have an adaptor piece like the one he has to replace where it went into the air box. Kinda confusing I know but its the other plug next to the Maf plug...once the air box comes out, then there isn't anywhere to put the resistor end of that plug (AIT)? My set up is a little different than his..i'll try to get some pics
i bought mine off ebay too. our iat is not a plug type like 4.5 gen so i made holes for it in one of the couplers and put it there.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 AM

i bought mine off ebay too. our iat is not a plug type like 4.5 gen so i made holes for it in one of the couplers and put it there.
yea, the one off of ebay has an extra hole in it almost as small as the vaccum hole...its right next to the hose coming out of the intake and into the motor block...should I cap it off completely?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 AM

I never noticed that little filter you have on the block....i might just run a straight hose like it was origionally but i will still need to cap off that extra pipe line
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Banned

might want to put a breather filter on the end of the hose so nothing get inside the vc by accident. electrical tape will do as a temporary cap.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 AM

AS YOU CAN SEE IN THE LARGER PICTURE OF THE LINK...THERE ARE 4 TUBES COMING OUT OF THE METAL ADAPTOR......
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120316908579
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Banned

dude, you paid $46 shipped for that crap??? mine was $25 and it's a true fender well intake. get rid of the mid pipe (sell it). use only the maf adapter and filter keeping everything before that stock - tb, rubber accordion coupler, resonator, maf and then adapter and filter.

i have a weird feeling something might be wrong about your install but need to see a pic.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM

dude, you paid $46 shipped for that crap??? mine was $25 and it's a true fender well intake. get rid of the mid pipe (sell it). use only the maf adapter and filter keeping everything before that stock - tb, rubber accordion coupler, resonator, maf and then adapter and filter.

i have a weird feeling something might be wrong about your install but need to see a pic.
I can't see there being anything worng with my install...it runs fine with the maf plug unplugged...but when plugged in it stalls...so I was told I may have hurt the MAF during installation...and the reason mine was more expensive cause I had to ship to Canada...I don't have the 1st clue how to hook up a fenderwell intake...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 AM

look at the large pic above..there isn't any of the stock things left on it...he's pretty well runin the same lines as me aside for the smaller filter in the motor
Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Banned

that's my pic i thought a bad maf would throw a code, but maybe not?

Last edited by allensteiner21; 11-05-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM

that's my pic i thought a bad maf would throw a code, but maybe not?
lol...sorry about that...I may very well send a code, but I only intaleed it like 2 or 3 days ago so I havent gotten out to Canadian Tire or Nissan to check it...the CEL never came on...I have another MAF to put in but never had the chance cause my nan passed away a couple of days ago and that sorta put things on hold..
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

sorry about your loss.
unplug the battery cables for a while (hour?) and then see if the same happens. there might be codes but no cel.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 AM

sorry about your loss.
unplug the battery cables for a while (hour?) and then see if the same happens. there might be codes but no cel.

ok...i'll try that when i go home form work...but if it still does stall..think it would be the Maf?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

i think greeny is right about a bad maf but check any possibility - cheaper and you might be lucky.

Last edited by allensteiner21; 11-05-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM

i think greeny is right about a bad maf but check any possibility - cheaper and you might be lucky.
yeah, but I don't see how I could have damaged it...i took it out...laid it down gently ( cause i knew it was fragile) and put it back on again...I have another one but i don't know if when I took it out of the other max i have if I damaged it as well
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 AM

ohh yeah, the MAF IS new...well newer...no more than a year old I don't think

Quick Reply: CAI = stalling