4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bumper and Blinker rewire Completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Bumper and Blinker rewire Completed

Basically used (2) 1157 harness's (found in 95-96 clearance lights or 95-99 tail lights)

My harness came with 4 wires. (2) Red, (1) Green ,(1) Black. Green i didnt use, wasnt connected to the light bulb housing itself so i assumed it was a ground wire for the main power line that goes into the tail lights, where it originally came from. I spliced the red wire that illuminates the bulb ALWAYS into the power source of the side marker. The other Red and Black wire i wired directly into the blinker wires.

Note: I had to upgrade my tail light fuse to 10amps...7.5amps kept blowing on me and my wiring was clean. I used insulated butt splices so i know they're not cross touching each other.

Ill post pics of the wiring tomorrow morning. Its too dark out right now to remove evertying.

Thanks to Jsutter for his help and MaximaJoe for the parts!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Got Retrofit?

Nice job it looks good.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
No more Maximas...

What I did with mine (and prefer, personally) was have the light strip on the bumper act as parking lights, then the corner lamp next to the headlight is solely a turn signal.
I can't believe how much brighter the turn signal is in that corner lamp, actually lights up the road around me when it's on (unlike the stock crap, which you can't even see from the side).

Actually been so long since I did that I can't really remember how it looks stock.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
What I did with mine (and prefer, personally) was have the light strip on the bumper act as parking lights, then the corner lamp next to the headlight is solely a turn signal.
I can't believe how much brighter the turn signal is in that corner lamp, actually lights up the road around me when it's on (unlike the stock crap, which you can't even see from the side).

Actually been so long since I did that I can't really remember how it looks stock.
Thats actually a good idea. Might try it sometime, only thing i dont like about the clearance lights is that the regular lighting doesn't look very appealing compared to having it "always-bright".

My blinker doesn't really get THAT much brighter but is still noticeable, which is weird considering its the same harness as the old 95-96 clearance lights. It might be its not "On' long enough to reach its full brightness since all it required before was to stay off and light on.

So i would need to swap my blinkers 1157's into my clearance lights and just revert everything stock on the blinker and wire it to always on by splicing into the side-marker power?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
Thats actually a good idea. Might try it sometime, only thing i dont like about the clearance lights is that the regular lighting doesn't look very appealing compared to having it "always-bright".

My blinker doesn't really get THAT much brighter but is still noticeable, which is weird considering its the same harness as the old 95-96 clearance lights. It might be its not "On' long enough to reach its full brightness since all it required before was to stay off and light on.

So i would need to swap my blinkers 1157's into my clearance lights and just revert everything stock on the blinker and wire it to always on by splicing into the side-marker power?
I did zero wiring to move mine around like I did. There's just enough slack in the stock wiring harness (and you can split the loom to get more) to move the connectors around.

There was a thread on it in this subforum maybe two years ago, I forget who posted it.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM

good job.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM

I had mine setup like pmohr for a while, its rather cool actually.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Addicted to the Org

good job. I did mine a while back. One of the best/cheapest mods you can do.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 AM

I did that mod too. Found some 1157 sockets that fit right into the buckets. I didn't need to mod the fuse on mine tho, never blew a fuse once. I like the look "Hey japanese car, welcome to America!?"
Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM

I did that to both my 4th gens when i got them. It looks better.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 PM

I was thinking these days about a mod but my electrical knowledge is kinda ........ well not there right now (and I have a degree in that ).
I want to make it so that the top clearance light (by the headlight) is like a day running light with the bright wire and when I turn the lights on it goes to the other wire. Also if all that could be combined to be a turn signal (the bright wire) it will be great.

I guess what I am talking about is something like the Chevys and their amber day time lights.

I haven't sat down to draw it out yet but I think with a relay it might work. the turn signal part will prolly be the hardest to do.

what do you all think?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by djipka
I was thinking these days about a mod but my electrical knowledge is kinda ........ well not there right now (and I have a degree in that ).
I want to make it so that the top clearance light (by the headlight) is like a day running light with the bright wire and when I turn the lights on it goes to the other wire. Also if all that could be combined to be a turn signal (the bright wire) it will be great.

I guess what I am talking about is something like the Chevys and their amber day time lights.

I haven't sat down to draw it out yet but I think with a relay it might work. the turn signal part will prolly be the hardest to do.

what do you all think?

this might help
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...sible-mod.html

How can I make my headlights turn off with the ignition?

You will need an automotive relay, some primary wire and a fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse.

Remove the bottom portion of the steering column trim and the bottom dash panel. Locate the grey/yellow wire in the steering column (this is the headlight wire). Cut this wire and solder/butt connect a legnth of primary wire to each end.(soldering is much better)

Attach those two wires to the 87 and 30 poles on the relay(does not matter what wire is connected to which pole).

Next, connect the 85 pole of the relay to chassis ground.

Then you need to locate the black/yellow wire in the cars ignition harness(located in a loom under the dash. Look for the loow leading to the ignition switch) strip this wire with a razor knife (do not cut) then wrap wire around the bare ignition wire and solder the connection. After you solder this wire wrap tape around it very well and put a ziptie over the tape, this is also the wire that gets the inline fuse holder and 5 amp fuse.

Finally attach this wire to the 86 pole on your relay and there you go. for myself being an MECP certified installer this would take 30 minutes or so, the average novice with moderate ability could do this in an hour to an hour and a half.

Link to original thread: Is this a possible mod?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM

thanks for the link but it doesn't seem do be exactly what I was thinking.

sorry for jacking the thread!
should I start a new one?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
I did zero wiring to move mine around like I did. There's just enough slack in the stock wiring harness (and you can split the loom to get more) to move the connectors around.

There was a thread on it in this subforum maybe two years ago, I forget who posted it.
I just tried to do this and i didnt seem to have enough slack to switch the connectors. Also, did you have to modify the connectors for the switch, because that's what it looks like would have to happen.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Reece616
I just tried to do this and i didnt seem to have enough slack to switch the connectors. Also, did you have to modify the connectors for the switch, because that's what it looks like would have to happen.
I"ll have to take a look at it, I did it so long ago I can't even remember.