4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

please not the rack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM

please not the rack.

ok....so about a month ago i noticed when i was putting on my cai that the boot on my steering rack on the driver side was ripped and torn up, im guessing from just age.... so besides that all is fine... within the last 3-4 days im starting to notice a creaky whine from when i turn my steerin wheel, the noise comeing from the driver side.(freakin great) the noise only comes when i turn the wheel 1/4-1/2 turn and i check my power steering and it is full. i can get a refurb rack for around $350, but dont want to if i dont have to of course. i have trouble shooted to the best of my abilities. i was wondering if any of my fellow maxima enthusiasts have experienced any problems like mine, or have any more advice. i have searched other forums, but they didnt give me any info that seemed to help me out. thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM

usually when the boot goes, dirt destroys the seal for the shaft and you have an oil leak. in my limited experience i have not seen that cause noise. have you checked the boots on the cv joints? cv joints just about always make noise when they go bad.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM

I'm going to agree with DennisMik. It seems like the CV joint is going out. Mine went out, and I got an annoying squeal/creaky whine. Just check out the driver side CV joint just to make sure its not that.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 AM

an axle will not make noise while turning the steering wheel. it will click (like a horse walking) while the car is in motion and turning to the opposite side of the noise(turning left you hear it on the right). Ive never heard of a bad axle without the distinct click click click while moving.
usually when you hear noises while spinning the wheel (like a chunk or creak or groan or pop) its the strut mount bearings. if you are at a stop and you turn the wheel lock to lock and you hear noise its most likely the strut mount bearings.
they are very troublesome on these cars because they are cheap and plastic.
a bad rack is fairly uncommon on these cars.
good luck
Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 PM

thanks for the advice everyone. as far as the cv.....i highly doubt that that is it. the strut mounts and bearings were replaced when the suspension was done recently. the only thing that is making me think that it is the rack is that when it went out on my moms i30 it made sounds somewhat similar to what i am experiencing now. and it only seems like it is coming from the driver side where the torn up boot has been for some time. i think i got some sheit in there that caused the problem that im experiencing now. it had a slight leak before, nothing major, just a lil to add to at each oil change.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM

changed out power steering fluid, and added lucas power steering stabilizer today and the noise is nearly gone. turning to the right, no squeeks or squeels. turn to the left barely a bit. is this something that is a temporary remedey, or will this just take care of it for good.