4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spark plug danger?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Spark plug danger?!

i read something about...well vb8maxima.8m.com,is what he sayins tru? i cant put the plugs i want in with out doin serious damage to the engine? the plugs i want are 50 dollars i forget the name but i know they come 2 to a pack heard they was the best....
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jin Metsuo
i read something about...well vb8maxima.8m.com,is what he sayins tru? i cant put the plugs i want in with out doin serious damage to the engine? the plugs i want are 50 dollars i forget the name but i know they come 2 to a pack heard they was the best....
wtf????? epic failure.... i have no idea what vb8mazima.8m.com is....i am not sure what he's saying because you don't tell us what he's saying. And what plugs are you buying that is $25?? Oh wait..nvm...you forgot what kind of plugs it is....

just get the ngk platinum fron the dealer...or contact dave b..he's got good prices...about $12-$13 a plug...

but seriously..what are we like 10???
Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 PM

need a little more detail bro
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Last edited by Mr.A32ftw; 01-31-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Probably talking about the 'danger' of replacing plugs in an aluminum head when the engine's still hot, or somesuch.

But yea, definitely need a lot more details...
Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 PM

...pulstars is the $50 plugs...o what i was askin well the guy who wrote that apparently crazy **** said his someone he knew put in Bosh+4s and cause some SERIOUS DAMAGE to his engine so he said stick with the ngks..now I want to know if that **** is true....thxs
Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM

just look on here for what is recommended and go with them..done
Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM
No more Maximas...

...pulstars is the $50 plugs...o what i was askin well the guy who wrote that apparently crazy **** said his someone he knew put in Bosh+4s and cause some SERIOUS DAMAGE to his engine so he said stick with the ngks..now I want to know if that **** is true....thxs
Don't bother with Pulstars, complete waste of time.

Also, Bosch just plain suck in the VQ. I doubt he caused any 'serious damage' with using them, unless one came apart.

FWIW punctuation and capitalization help immensely in being able to read your posts.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
just get the ngk platinum fron the dealer...or contact dave b..he's got good prices...about $12-$13 a plug...
i got nkg platinum for like $4 a plug at advanced auto parts.. atleast i think i bought platinum.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
i got nkg platinum for like $4 a plug at advanced auto parts.. atleast i think i bought platinum.
hymm......thats a little cheap i think...

but sorry..the iridium's are like $12 each i think..platinum is around $7-8.

here's the thread to the op btw..

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...st-maxima.html
Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 AM

hymm......thats a little cheap i think...

but sorry..the iridium's are like $12 each i think..platinum is around $7-8.

here's the thread to the op btw..

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...st-maxima.html
and iridiums dont work well in all 4th gens either, i was told only 97 to 99's for them. i have platinum's in my 95, no issues.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 AM

this thread>>>>>>> ........
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

NGK copper all the way. Less than $2 each.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 PM

i have Bosch Platinums in my car now...

i haven't blown anything up so far so i'd say you're ok...
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM

You bought a plug with a platinum electrode which is different than the oem plugs which are double platinum plugs meaning that the electrode is platinum and the grounding point is platinum also which causes the plug to last longer. The correct plug you should have bought is the ngk pfr5g-11. If you don't feel like searching this forum, the internet, then at least call the dealer and ask them for the correct info and then do it yourself to save the cash.

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

I ran two sets of Platinum+4's in my 3rd Gen for 200k+ w/o any problems, but I have heard that other Bosch plug types are not recommended. Bosch's bad rap is deserved, but not on every plug they make.

Basically, you can screw up your engine with any plug if it is installed wrong, if you drop something down the plug hole or crack the insulator.

Typically, what some noobies do is try to drop the plug in and then try to fit the socket wrench over it. Or, they'll put the plug into the socket, but not seated well, and the plug falls out. Or, they'll put the plug into the socket and use the wrench to get it started instead of doing it by hand first (putting the plug in the socket, lightly lube the threads, attach a 6"-8" extension, gently slide the socket and plug in, and turn the end of the extensions with your fingers until you can't turn it anymore).
Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

I just installed ngk platinums, noticed more power and 1 code went away. NGK is for Nissans.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK... here's a problem. I've been working on my wife's car for about a week, chasing different stuff down. The car is a 98 SE Auto, 145,000 miles. Tranny was replaced last month. Replaced the master cylinder last week, and the starter the week before...

Just changed the plugs on this car. After changing the plugs I take it out for a drive and the CEL comes on. Bring it to Autozone to read the codes and I get the following...

P0134 - HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0325 - Knock Sensor
P1329 - Ignition Signal?

The new plugs are NGK G-Power (BKR5EGP 7090). Gap seems a little close, ~.040 but not bad enought to cause these problems.

Another issue...
The car also hesitates when starting... soemtimes. If I pull the fuse for the fuel pump, the car cranks endlessly. Put it back in and it will sometimes fire up right away; other times it will crank, hesitate, crank, then fire up... causing the rpm's to bounce up and down for a bit. I reset the PCM and restarted the engine... CEL light came back on.

The reason I meantion the starting issue with the spark plug issue, is that I'm thinking the problem is either the fuel filter or the pump. Both easy enough to change but would rather have some more insight into the issues. Any help would be great.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mholhut
OK... here's a problem. I've been working on my wife's car for about a week, chasing different stuff down. The car is a 98 SE Auto, 145,000 miles. Tranny was replaced last month. Replaced the master cylinder last week, and the starter the week before...

Just changed the plugs on this car. After changing the plugs I take it out for a drive and the CEL comes on. Bring it to Autozone to read the codes and I get the following...

P0325 - Knock Sensor
P1329 - Ignition Signal?

The new plugs are NGK G-Power (BKR5EGP 7090). Gap seems a little close, ~.040 but not bad enought to cause these problems.

Another issue...
The car also hesitates when starting... soemtimes. If I pull the fuse for the fuel pump, the car cranks endlessly. Put it back in and it will sometimes fire up right away; other times it will crank, hesitate, crank, then fire up... causing the rpm's to bounce up and down for a bit. I reset the PCM and restarted the engine... CEL light came back on.

The reason I meantion the starting issue with the spark plug issue, is that I'm thinking the problem is either the fuel filter or the pump. Both easy enough to change but would rather have some more insight into the issues. Any help would be great.
Ever done the fuel filter before? It's a maintenance item, so you might as well
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
Ever done the fuel filter before? It's a maintenance item, so you might as well
I have a new one to throw in, but won't have access to the car again until this weekend. Just wondering if a dirty filter can cause starting issues... and, if changing the plugs can cause the PCM codes as I described.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM

If it's not NGK run away.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Got money? -> ngk double platinum laser plugs $10 each at advanced or pepboys.
Wanna save a few bucks? -> ngk copper plugs for like $1.something each.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-gen-have.html

Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
NGK copper all the way. Less than $2 each.
quoted for truth!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM

said his someone he knew put in Bosh+4s and cause some SERIOUS DAMAGE to his engine
I had them in mine, no damage at all.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 AM

wtf????? epic failure.... i have no idea what vb8mazima.8m.com is....i am not sure what he's saying because you don't tell us what he's saying. And what plugs are you buying that is $25?? Oh wait..nvm...you forgot what kind of plugs it is....

but seriously..what are we like 10???

$13 per a plug? Thats like $80 bucks. lol...I have seen NGK plats for much much cheaper then that. Unless you are talking about the laser, iridium ones. Then I dunno. Or the ones I am looking at are knockoffs. haha
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by K.Hall
If it's not NGK run away.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the best plugs for your car are oem ngk platinum unless your running some power under there then u should get performance plugs
Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by flyestblackmax
the best plugs for your car are oem ngk platinum unless your running some power under there then u should get performance plugs
Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mholhut

P0325 - Knock Sensor
P1329 - Ignition Signal?

Another issue...

My car did the exact thing this past week. I put in some NGK Platnium G-Power plugs and 2 days later, the knock sensor and maf sensor code comes up.. So I think the old knock sensor couldnt keep up with the New plugs? or do "G-POWER" NGK plugs just suck? Whats the difference between G-power and NGK-Rs ?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Every brand of spark plugs uses a different internal resistor with a different ohm rating. These ohm ratings affect the spark strength and load on the coil packs in coil-on-plug systems. I don't know the specs offhand but I agree that with most japanese cars including our nissans NGK is the recommended brand. As far as the debate regarding the pulstar plugs, my personal opinion is that they are better than regular plugs but they are overpriced. They claim their plugs have a capacitor built inline with the internal resistor. The spark is stronger than a conventional plugs in theory, but I imagine any perceivable performance gains would not be from the intensity of the spark but from the ever-so-slight delay in spark due to the capacitor dwell, effectively advancing your spark timing.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 PM

throw in iirc 410k resistor in the ks harness (female side)just as a troubleshooting guide to the ks, clear codes see if maf cel comes back on. Buy sensors as needed

fwiw i just buy ngk coppers cheap,effeicent, readly available,ect ect. yeah you have to change them more often but i like being under the hood(sometimes)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Haha I was going to buy the NGK platanium plugs and store them at home when I need them but as soon as I saw the price........... it was quite a shocker. And since according to you guys the copper one works just as good, I'm going the cheap way out! And besides we're in a recession

Also thankgoodness I am a lot better under the hood than when doing work on the exterior of cars. Some people are just so gifted....... I can barely paint my grill without taking shortcuts that.........end in.......er..........re-dos. Guess I'll have to actually spend money to get the unique look that I want to do
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by speed3000gt
My car did the exact thing this past week. I put in some NGK Platnium G-Power plugs and 2 days later, the knock sensor and maf sensor code comes up.. So I think the old knock sensor couldnt keep up with the New plugs? or do "G-POWER" NGK plugs just suck? Whats the difference between G-power and NGK-Rs ?
wtf is going on where normal headlights should be on your car?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM

Guys what is wrong with the bosch platinum 4+ everybody but one person has bosch everyone is praising Ngk I'm sure there are other plugs you can use I have 99 engine in a 95 maxima se I put Ngk plugs didn't want to fire properly I put e3 fire the car right away but now I just put in bosch platinum 4s same result starts up fine
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Either way Ngk platinum bosch platinum both are platinum plugs so what's the difference should still run Ngk are the best I do not argue with that but for 12.99 a plug that's crazy
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM

NGK or BUST. Ive ran Bosch +4 in my car, and it ran like POO. They werent in my car for a day before I took them out.

Why would you pay money for something that everyone is telling you not to buy (on the facebook page)?

Originally Posted by blackcloud80
Either way Ngk platinum bosch platinum both are platinum plugs so what's the difference should still run Ngk are the best I do not argue with that but for 12.99 a plug that's crazy
NGK Copper......sub $3 each

Copper conducts better than Platinum

Platinum lasts longer than Copper

I would rather have a better conducting plug that I need to change every 2 years, than a less conductive plug that lasts for 10 and costs 4x as much

Last edited by tigersharkdude; 01-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
KH3 by popular demand

If the end that connects to the coil unscrews over time and falls into the cylinder when you remove the plug, you are up the river without a paddle. This would be a rare occurance but it is possible because it is a poor design. NGK performs in our engines better, Bosch are really for domestic engines.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM

Ok so I went out and got Ngk iridium ix how are those
Change them over the weekend
Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Can't wait to see what all the hype is about with this Ngk legacy
Put them to the test
Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 PM

Every plug has its issues. I saw a whole case of NGK's that were bad and have also used Bosch plugs and didn't have any issues. I personally prefer NGK simply because a lot of people use them in imports and they seem to do well but then again Denso makes a good plug as well.

Quick Reply: Spark plug danger?!