4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New but old

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM

New but old

I am a past member of the forum. I have been driving a chevy implala for the last 5 years and now I am looking into purchasing a 1998 Max SE. It is a five speed in which I never truly have learned to drive. What should I look for and what are common issues with the 98's.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 AM

I would check the feel of the clutch to make sure it isnt on its way ot, witch may be difficult being that you said you need to learn howq to drive it. also i would go under the car and see if the CV boots are ripped/making noise while turning at slow speeds. Obviously any mayjor leeks under the car, fluid/exhaust. Also push up and down on the fenders to try ti make the struts creek, might be a sign there on there way out, possibly the car was driven rough if any of these simple problems are present and grounds to get the price reduced. Good luck.

you will pick up the manul 5 speed easy in that car
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1997MAXZ
I would check the feel of the clutch to make sure it isnt on its way ot, witch may be difficult being that you said you need to learn howq to drive it. also i would go under the car and see if the CV boots are ripped/making noise while turning at slow speeds. Obviously any mayjor leeks under the car, fluid/exhaust. Also push up and down on the fenders to try ti make the struts creek, might be a sign there on there way out, possibly the car was driven rough if any of these simple problems are present and grounds to get the price reduced. Good luck.

you will pick up the manul 5 speed easy in that car
Dude...seriously. Reading your post gave me a headache.

OP, check for rust issues and timing chain noise as well as the above suggestions.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM

sorry about the head ache just stating some auto headaches, and you are very correct about the rust.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 PM

i noticed valve covers are problems.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 PM

ugh.. dont forget about o2 sensors.. ask for receipts on all the work that was done to the car.. make sure gears dont grind either!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 PM

if you really wanna screw with the guy, bring a voltmeter and check the alternator and battery, haha. Alternators are natorious and PITA's for Max's. No but really... check the radiator supports for rust, Drive the car or bring somone whos good with 5 speeds and drive it and see if you smell any oil or any odd odors. basically.. just do as everyone else has said.. and your set.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 AM

+1 on the radiator support. Those rust like a *****, especially in the NE. Stick your head in the bottom grille and look around.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Well I saw a few more Max's and thought I'd take a look at em all of em had leaks around the valve covers and upper plenum. One seemed decent but it had a check engine light and it sounded like a exhaust leak that was causing a ruff idle. I'm gonna check out the 5 speed Saturday.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 PM

I would bring a flashlight and look down onto the CV boots to see if they are torn. Have someone in the car turn the steering wheel from lock to lock so you can see the cracks/tears.

Coolsaber, dat wuz funy
Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 PM

The front covers on the 3.0VQ's leak alot. Usually see fluid around the oil pand and exhaust on the passenger side. That is a major job to do. alldata labor time is 13 hours. that could be over $1000 in labor alone. Its prolly a better idea to keep a quart of oil in the car than pay $1k to have it fixed
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Sold

no... a better idea is to replace with a VQ35 motor.
check the all motor section for details.

O.p. make sure that when you put the key in that all the lights come on. In the cluster. S.E.S., airbag, oil, etc. get a mechanical inspection done if your not sure on it.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.