4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about TC tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Question about TC tensioner

ive been reading a lot about replacing the tensioner and called DaveB just to make sure that the new TC tensioner will not be a good fit for my 97 and would need to replace tensioner and guide. I would like to avoid taking the TC cover off and havent found any1 confirming that aftermarket tensioners will fit without guide replacement. Just wanted to see if any1 had luck with aftermarket tensioner and where they got it. If nothing else i guess ill just order a new tensioner and rebuild my old once which some say worked for them. Just want some confirmation before buying anything.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
No more Maximas...

The aftermarket tensioners are likely going to follow in the same design as the OE parts.

FWIW the tensioner will fit through the access panel, but the new guide (to fit the redesigned tensioner) won't.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
The aftermarket tensioners are likely going to follow in the same design as the OE parts.

FWIW the tensioner will fit through the access panel, but the new guide (to fit the redesigned tensioner) won't.
What i read in other post is that the tensioner will fit but the angle is different and some ppl dont like how it sets on the guide with the new tensioner.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM

I think you need to re-read the threads. As I recall, the tensioner design changed from '96 to '97. So you should have the latest design tensioner in your '97 with the right angle. I have a '97 and the replacement tensioner I got looked just like the one I took out. I would not therefore go to the trouble of replacing the guide. The only question is....should you also install the gasket that is apparently now available and suggested. Well, I made one, but for like $5.00 I'd order one now if I was to do it again.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by larso1
I think you need to re-read the threads. As I recall, the tensioner design changed from '96 to '97. So you should have the latest design tensioner in your '97 with the right angle. I have a '97 and the replacement tensioner I got looked just like the one I took out. I would not therefore go to the trouble of replacing the guide. The only question is....should you also install the gasket that is apparently now available and suggested. Well, I made one, but for like $5.00 I'd order one now if I was to do it again.
I thought that too about 97+ but DaveB said it applies to 95-01 and i just took his word. Where you get your tensioner? If you still have the link that would be nice.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM

Not to hijack this, but I have a '95 with 220k and will be replacing the water pump soon. I saw that it's a good idea to replace this tenioner at this time too..is that the consensus? Also would appreciate more info on the replacement part. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ChiknNutz
Not to hijack this, but I have a '95 with 220k and will be replacing the water pump soon. I saw that it's a good idea to replace this tenioner at this time too..is that the consensus? Also would appreciate more info on the replacement part. Thank you.
You have to remove the tensioner anyway, so might as well replace it if it's causing problems. Of course to have the new style tensioner work properly, you need the new style guide as well. To install the guide you need to remove the front cover.

Is your current tensioner causing any problems? The typical startup noise?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You have to remove the tensioner anyway, so might as well replace it if it's causing problems. Of course to have the new style tensioner work properly, you need the new style guide as well. To install the guide you need to remove the front cover.

Is your current tensioner causing any problems? The typical startup noise?
I just got this car and am going thru it and have not driven it much at all. I don't know of any "startup" noise...can you elaborate a bit on what that is? The only noise that is prevalent right now is a "whining" noise that seems indicative of a water pump. I have not 100% confirmed that yet, but it seems to be probable. The alternator was replaced a while back, so it COULD be that too, but I think not as likely as the WP. I don't have 100% history on the car, but have went thru what IS there and no signs of the WP being replaced ever (but not even sure if all records are here...probably not is my guess). Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ChiknNutz
I just got this car and am going thru it and have not driven it much at all. I don't know of any "startup" noise...can you elaborate a bit on what that is? The only noise that is prevalent right now is a "whining" noise that seems indicative of a water pump. I have not 100% confirmed that yet, but it seems to be probable. The alternator was replaced a while back, so it COULD be that too, but I think not as likely as the WP. I don't have 100% history on the car, but have went thru what IS there and no signs of the WP being replaced ever (but not even sure if all records are here...probably not is my guess). Thanks again.
The water pump isn't really going to whine, that's more likely a belt driven accessory, or the tensioner pulley itself.

Search around, basically the tensioner bleeds down overnight and the chain rattles a bit on startup.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM

I have been getting all my OEM parts from Everythingnissan in AZ. They're very good and ship fast. Prices seem very fair too. The link is as follows:

http://www.everythingnissan.com/part...5056&year=2003

If I had a pre-'97, I would not go to the trouble of removing the front cover and installing the new style tensioner and guide. I would do as another poster did and just replace all the guts of your old one with the guts from the new one, and reinstall.

As for the water pump, usually they start leaking if they're bad, from my experience. I would look at the belts and AC compressor, alternator, steering pump, etc. first if there is a whining noise.

Bill
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. If it were the PS pump, wouldn't it make more/less noise as you turn the steering wheel? So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. Noises can be a bit tricky to locate in my experience as they seem to "travel" and seem to mask where they are really coming from. I'll take a better look at those belt-driven accessories. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 AM

You should install the tensioner metal gasket. I did not initially and had to do it again to get rid of the noise.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Tensioner Gasket

I made my own tensioner gasket out of 0.030"thk. paper gasket material. Seems to work fine. In fact, it's funny that there was never a gasket in there to begin with and it worked just fine without it. I never did have a problem with the tensioner, but since I needed to replace the belts I decided that was a good time since everyone was recommending it.