4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car wont start battery and starter both good

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Car wont start battery and starter both good

I have a 1997 Maxima SE that won't start. The battery and starter are both new. I tried to jump start it but it doesn't work. I can hear the starter engage the flywheel but there doesn't seem to be enough juice to crank the engine. It seems to be progressive. It works fine and then all the sudden you can hear the starter cranking slower each time you start it until it wont start anymore.

This has been an ongoing issue for a while now. At first I bought a new battery, that seemed to help for about a month. Then I bought a new starter and that seemed to help for about 4 months but now it's acting that same way it did before I replaced the starter and battery. I took the starter out and had it tested and the shop said it was good. The battery also tests good.

What else could it be?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM
No more Maximas...

How long will it crank well for before it starts to slow down? Does it spit, sputter at all like it's trying to fire?

Have you checked the connections, made sure that there's no corrosion and everything's tight?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 AM

What do you mean how long? It can go weeks of working fine, then all the sudden one day it will start to slow down. No it won't crank the engine at all. All connections are tight and no corrosion that i can see on the battery terminal or on the starter. Now that doesn't mean that there isn't any corrosion somewhere in the wire bundle between the starter and battery.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:51 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Rider
What do you mean how long? It can go weeks of working fine, then all the sudden one day it will start to slow down. No it won't crank the engine at all. All connections are tight and no corrosion that i can see on the battery terminal or on the starter. Now that doesn't mean that there isn't any corrosion somewhere in the wire bundle between the starter and battery.
You implied that it would get slower in one sitting, not suddenly:
It works fine and then all the sudden you can hear the starter cranking slower each time you start it until it wont start anymore.
What voltage does the battery show when it will no longer start?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You implied that it would get slower in one sitting, not suddenly:

What voltage does the battery show when it will no longer start?
Yeah I never have to crank it more than once in one sitting. It just get slower with each start.

12.54 volts when not cranking.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 AM
No more Maximas...

Yeah I never have to crank it more than once in one sitting. It just get slower with each start.

12.54 volts when not cranking.
And voltage while cranking?

When it doesn't want to crank, have you tried jumping the starter manually?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 AM

And voltage while cranking?

When it doesn't want to crank, have you tried jumping the starter manually?
I haven't checked the voltage while cranking. What should it be?

No, how do you get jumper cables down there? I cant hardly fit my hand down there. I could try but I'd have to remove the stock air box.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM
No more Maximas...

I haven't checked the voltage while cranking. What should it be?

No, how do you get jumper cables down there? I cant hardly fit my hand down there. I could try but I'd have to remove the stock air box.
It shouldn't dip below ~9.5 volts.

You don't use jumper cables, just jump the two posts on the starter. If it still won't crank over, it's most likely the starter or the signal.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM
The Golden One

IIRC...Maybe your crankshaft/camshaft POS/REF sensor is bad. I had that issue on my 97. Replaced all three sensors (preventive maintenance - not sure which one fixed it) and car fired right up.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM

It shouldn't dip below ~9.5 volts.

You don't use jumper cables, just jump the two posts on the starter. If it still won't crank over, it's most likely the starter or the signal.
I'll give that a try.

Originally Posted by IlyaK
IIRC...Maybe your crankshaft/camshaft POS/REF sensor is bad. I had that issue on my 97. Replaced all three sensors (preventive maintenance - not sure which one fixed it) and car fired right up.
I don't see how that can cause the problem I'm having.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM
The Golden One

I'll give that a try.

I don't see how that can cause the problem I'm having.
It absolutely can.

My 97 started to get harder and harder to start day by day until one day it just didn't start.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 AM
No more Maximas...

It absolutely can.

My 97 started to get harder and harder to start day by day until one day it just didn't start.
A CKPS or CPS fault will keep it from running, but won't keep it from cranking.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 AM

It absolutely can.

Interesting. I have no idea where that sensor is but I have a repair manual and I'll check it out.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Interesting. I have no idea where that sensor is but I have a repair manual and I'll check it out.
FWIW:

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
The Golden One

Yeah they are all pretty easy to change and not very expensive (each one is under $100 if I recall).

I don't know which one exactly I needed, but my car had 160k so I replaced all three (some of them as preventive maintenance most likely).
Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I had the same problem i have a 95 new battery new starter... my engine light went on saying to change the crankshaft position sensor.. i did car started alot BETTER.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM

i changed the sensor in the first picture above... I CANT SEEM TO FIND THE SENSOR(POS) the middle pic CAN ANYONE GUIDE ME FROM THE SENSOR IN PIC ONE TO SENSOR IN PIC TWO
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ik95
i changed the sensor in the first picture above... I CANT SEEM TO FIND THE SENSOR(POS) the middle pic CAN ANYONE GUIDE ME FROM THE SENSOR IN PIC ONE TO SENSOR IN PIC TWO
The pic shows it pretty well, but it's mounted to the left side of the block right next to the bellhousing.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ik95
I had the same problem i have a 95 new battery new starter... my engine light went on saying to change the crankshaft position sensor.. i did car started alot BETTER.
I don't have an engine light on.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Whatchyou say?

when you replaced the starter, did you replace the solinoid too ... did it come with a new one? How is your Gnd cable looking ??? Check where it meats the block (common problem area). Take it off and clean that post, and the end of the wire, slap it back on and see if it helps. Can't hurt and will only take a 10mm ratchet (w/ extension or a 10mm ratchet wrench is even better) and 2 min's.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
The Golden One

The pic shows it pretty well, but it's mounted to the left side of the block right next to the bellhousing.
Or just above the cross member slightly to right behind the radiator.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
when you replaced the starter, did you replace the solinoid too ... did it come with a new one? How is your Gnd cable looking ??? Check where it meats the block (common problem area). Take it off and clean that post, and the end of the wire, slap it back on and see if it helps. Can't hurt and will only take a 10mm ratchet (w/ extension or a 10mm ratchet wrench is even better) and 2 min's.
Yes the new starter came with a solenoid. Is the GND cable on the opposite side off the battery by the wiper fluid reservoir? Because I noticed that that connection is rusted and corroded but I don't know what it goes to. I just see a wire bolted to the subframe. I bought the car new so I know that is an OEM connection.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM

After working on it this weekend I found the problem to be the starter. I tapped on the starter with a long breaker bar and the car started right up... The OEM starter lasted me almost 12 years, the aftermarket starter lasted me less than 5 months. I guess I will go buy an OEM starter. NAPA sucks!