4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Knock Sensor

went to autozone today to figure out why my cel was on, i was expecting 2 things to be coming up; 02 sensor and knock sensor. Come to find out its something w/ the BBEVAP (P0440), and a knock sensor (P0325) this is the 4th time the knock sensor has come up so im thinking something might be wrong.

i was wondering how you go about placing the knock sensor.

I started searching but didnt find much so i figured ide make a post and then continue to keep searching. thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
No more Maximas...

You mean how you replace the knock sensor?

Stickies...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-updated.html
Originally Posted by phenryiv1
How to Change Knock Sensor http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507
...and...

Originally Posted by gansemer
Two good article on KS replacement:
http://www.skippynet.com/maxima/knocksensor.htm
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507

Modifications to the Skippynet method

The article suggest using a 14” (or longer) ¼” socket extension to reach the KS retaining bolt. I found that using a 9” extension made it much easier to get the u-joint onto the KS bolt. To save money, I used two 3/8” drive extensions with a 3/8 to ¼ adapter, a ¼” drive u-joint and a ¼” 12mm socket (most of which I already had). Skippynet suggest using a 12mm flex socket, but being cheap I used a separate socket and u-joint so that I would have a more useful general purpose tool left over than the 12mm flex socket (better yet, I borrowed the u-joint and saved another $8). A 3/8” u-joint is a slightly bigger animal and in my opinion would make it hard to get the socket onto the bolt. It was not at all difficult to loosen the bolt using this setup. I had also borrowed a 16” extension and found it very difficult to get the socket onto the bolt head (I gave up after about 2 minutes, so it probably could have been done).

Once the bolt was out, I used a magnetic pickup to retrieve it (and eliminate the possibility of dropping it into the engine cavity where as you will find out soon, is not a very friendly place). With the bolt removed, you can pull the knock sensor out of the cavity by the harness and replace it. Next, I put the bolt into the new KS and used a small piece of tape to hold it in place while I stuffed it back into the engine cavity (again to eliminate the chance of dropping it in there).

Now the difficult(ish) part: I don’t see how you can locate the bolt into the hole and get it started without stuffing your hand under the manifold. Others have done it using a claw type pickup to position the bolt so no harm in trying. If you have very large hands, you might try enlisting a girlfriend, your mom or a small child as others have done. I was able to get my hand in there and get the bolt hand tight, then it was just a matter of using the 9” extension/u-joint setup again to do the final tightening. Your hands will get cut up a little doing this, but the term “bloody stump” that gets thrown about is quite an exaggeration.

I was able to replace the KS in both cars in less than 1 hour including test drives using this method. Post installation I got back the power of my VQ and gas mileage increased by 2 MPG.

The real key is using the skippynet socket extension method to crack the bolt loose. Once you have jammed your hand into the engine cavity you will realize how difficult it would have been to get a wrench on the bolt and loosen it.
Finally:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ing-forum.html

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
If you ask a question and the answer can be found in the FAQ threads, your thread gets locked.
Search turns up MANY threads about replacing the KS. There's like one a week.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM

well thanks. i think the other cods is prob my gas cap ( i got gas on sunday) i re tightened it and see what happens.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM

pmohr does it again
Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Got Retrofit?

If changing the knock sensor doesn't make that code go away, it might be the harness.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM

.. great. is that something i can still do myself or am i getting into crazy stuff?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
.. great. is that something i can still do myself or am i getting into crazy stuff?
Changing the KS or harness are both DIY jobs. Search and find the write-ups.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Changing the KS or harness are both DIY jobs. Search and find the write-ups.
Or just look above

And yes, the harness should be replaced at the same time, just to avoid having to go back in that area for a while.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Conecarver

knock sensor multi-meter test

I started by testing the ohm resistance between both terminals at the harness connector and got nothing (1). Tested the new KS directly and got 550ohm which is in spec.

I pulled the old KS off the harness and it tests similar. It too registers similar good resistance. Testing at the harness comes up nothing (1).

FSM says at the harness there should be 500-620ohm between term2 and ground. Haynes says there should be contunity between the 2 harness pins. I'm getting neither. Could my harness have a short? Or are these tests not accurate because of the single wire/ground design?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I started by testing the ohm resistance between both terminals at the harness connector and got nothing (1). Tested the new KS directly and got 550ohm which is in spec.

I pulled the old KS off the harness and it tests similar. It too registers similar good resistance. Testing at the harness comes up nothing (1).

FSM says at the harness there should be 500-620ohm between term2 and ground. Haynes says there should be contunity between the 2 harness pins. I'm getting neither. Could my harness have a short? Or are these tests not accurate because of the single wire/ground design?
The Haynes test doesn't really make sense because of the single wire harness. You should be getting a resistance measurement to ground, though. Sure you're testing the right pin?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by pmohr
The Haynes test doesn't really make sense because of the single wire harness. You should be getting a resistance measurement to ground, though. Sure you're testing the right pin?
There's only 2 pins. Tried both and same result. Maybe somebody else with a meter could test at the harness and confirm?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 PM

i think you may have a wire only issue. have you looked at the harness. rats/mice like to crawl into that area and chew the wires. dont exactly know why but it may be somethin with the color of the wires.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Conecarver

Dunno. I replaced the KS and we'll see if the code comes back.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a KS i picked in Ebay, i sold my 99 max se before i got to replace it, anybody interested please email chongyeung@hotmail.com
Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM

I replaced the KS and then went back and did it right by replacing both the sensor and the harness. Once you have replace them you need to drive the car a while then reset the codes. Maybe the Dealer has a better way but this worked for m.