4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0744 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM

P0744 Code

Hello once again maxima community, it's been a while, but I'm back because of my recent CEL code that has come up a couple of days ago.

Pmohr's decoder embed below:

Code: P0744 | Description: A/T Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve

While I have a general idea of what this code means/represents, I don't have a clue how serviceable this issue is? (I'm fearing the need for a rebuild on my automatic...)

Additionally, while the code does have to deal with the solenoids responsible for the TC lockup, I can count on one hand the amount of times I had a momentary issue with lockup in the past two years (about 5 times, I would put it in drive, and it would take 10-15 seconds to lock up and get into gear)

Car is a 1998, auto (obviously) with 196k miles, and so far at the moment it is driving fine, with one mis-hap in lockup (as described above) the next day I got the code (last friday).

Please leave me what feedback you have on what I need to take care of or diagnose, at the moment I have not erased the code from the ECU.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM

I found the answer elsewhere.
My car also has this but it doesn not turn off, seeing as I literally have no 4th gear, getting replaced on the 17th, anyways hope this helps.

Nissan Maxima GXE DTC P0744

Q. Hi Vincent. My name is Anthony and I have engine light problem. This light appeared seven months before. I went to different car mechanics including Nissan's service but I wasn't satisfied with their answers. One said it was the knock sensor or transmission. The other one said knock sensor or maybe some wiring. Nissan said only transmission code P0744. But I wasn't satisfied with their diagnosis.

My transmission sounds okay, no slip. One thing I see is the rpm, when I'm going with 70 mph, it is high 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. And if the speed is higher the rpm is higher too. I took the chance and had the knock sensor changed. After 30 miles of driving the light went on again.

Personally I don't think it's a transmission problem because since the light went on I drove more than 8,000 miles. Can you tell me your opinion and how to turn off the light?

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
3.0 liter V-6
Automatic transmission
103,000 miles
Fuel Injection
P/S, A/C, Cruise control
A. DTC P0744 Indicates a malfunction in the A/T Torque Converter Control (TCC) Signal circuit.

"This malfunction is detected when the automatic transmission does not shift into fourth gear position or the torque converter clutch does not lock up as instructed by the Automatic Transmission Control (ATC) unit. This is not caused by an electrical malfunction, circuits open or shorted, but by a mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, malfunctioning oil pump or torque converter clutch, etc.

Replacing the TCC solenoid should fix the problem. Or you can just leave it alone. If you do a lot of highway driving you may notice a decrease in fuel economy. Of course the light will come on every time the TCC solenoid is actuated and will stay on until you turn the key OFF again.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by m00njal
Additionally, while the code does have to deal with the solenoids responsible for the TC lockup, I can count on one hand the amount of times I had a momentary issue with lockup in the past two years (about 5 times, I would put it in drive, and it would take 10-15 seconds to lock up and get into gear)
That's nothing to do with TCC lockup. That's just not engaging the clutches.

Replace the solenoid pack, there's an updated version per the TSB.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Ya, thanks for the clarity on the TCC lockup thing pmohr, though I wonder what causes that other issue once in a while.

As for not having my a fourth gear, that's certainly not a problem I'm having right now.

As for replacing the solenoid pack, where can I find the TSB about it, in the factory manual?

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by m00njal
Ya, thanks for the clarity on the TCC lockup thing pmohr, though I wonder what causes that other issue once in a while.

As for not having my a fourth gear, that's certainly not a problem I'm having right now.

As for replacing the solenoid pack, where can I find the TSB about it, in the factory manual?

Thanks again.
Nope, the TSBs are seperate.

I forget which TSB it was in, I'll take a look around for it.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Thank you again pmohr. I think I googled and found the TSBs you mentioned on replacing the solenoid valve pack (or something very similar) but didn't find a means to view anything.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 PM

Not to pressure pmohr or anyone here, but does anyone have a heads up on where I can look at TSB's without paying for a subscription?

Just wondering, code is still present, but obviously not causing any immediate problems.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 12:12 AM

Update: Code suddenly disappeared today.

Will update thread if symptoms re-occur.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM

i got this code on my 4th gen max the other day. my dad works for jasper engines and transmissions and concluded that you need to replace the solenoid pack, or possibly the whole tranny depending on what it looks like when you take the tranny pan off. anyway, the solenoid pack is about $400 at dealers, anyone know where i could get one cheaper? other than a junk yard?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by DBrames
i got this code on my 4th gen max the other day. my dad works for jasper engines and transmissions and concluded that you need to replace the solenoid pack, or possibly the whole tranny depending on what it looks like when you take the tranny pan off. anyway, the solenoid pack is about $400 at dealers, anyone know where i could get one cheaper? other than a junk yard?
You can get the solenoid pack at the dealer for right around $120. Don't use the actual part number, you need to order the part number for the TSB kit.

Call Dave B, he should know what I'm talking about.

And before you ask who/where he is...search.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Think I found it:

NTB96-110.pdf

But no mention of a part number.

Last edited by GoldMax99; 06-07-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by GoldMax99
Think I found it:

NTB96-110.pdf
Ah right, I forgot about this thread.

That's just replacement instructions, the actual TSB with replacement part numbers is NTB98-043.

The solenoid kit cost somewhere under $150 when I picked it up at the local dealer back in '06 or so.

It's a lot cheaper at Courtesy now, though - 31940-80X25, $89.67 each at Courtesy

Now compare that to just getting the solenoid pack itself, without any of the extras they include in the TSB kit - 31940-80X05, $331.72 each at Courtesy
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I had this problem and replaced the solenoid assembly. The car was back to normal - lockup functioning fine and no more high rpms over 60mph - for about a week, and then the CEL came on again with the same code and went right back to 3-4k+ rpm on the highway.

Anyone know what could cause this to fail so quickly?

Another (separate I assume) issue is when I accelerate from a stop, the engine will rev to almost 5k rpm before shifting unless I take my foot off the gas at the right time to let it do its thing. It's been like this for long before I ever had the TCC lockup issue.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 PM

I just got this code. I've been driving around a few months now thinking my trans is shot but hopefully the solenoid kit will fix it. My TQ converter test resulted in 2330rpm. '99 SE regular automatic. I drove around babying the car but friday I went to the post office and on my way back around the corner from my house I let 1st gear ring out and when I tried to back into my driveway it was reving high like 2500rpm and barely moving. Let it sit till monday and it was hard to get it moving, then the cel (p0744) came up. Just got it checked and cleared today. If I accelerate hard then the "slipping" gets really bad but if I baby it then I can at least drive it. Fluid is fresh amsoil atf and I have a b&m cooler so it's not low on fluid. I'll be calling the dealer for this kit tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I still think many of our tranny issues are because we did not use matic D. Even Amsoil which is great ATF is not up to the specs of matic d.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM

Interesting. Got anything to back that up? Links, posts, threads? Auotmatic's are a *****. My problems started before I added the amsoil synthetic.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM

I changed the solenoids using the TSB kit yesterday and it helped shifting but it's still slipping. Where can I get a TQ converter, are there "performance" TQ converters? Also considering swapping in a used lsd auto in case the trans is messed up too.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Since I didn't find any pics on here let me throw some up.
This is what the solenoids look like including the temp sensor and wiring harness.

This is what the VB (valve body) looks like with the solenoids on there.

This is what you see when you take the VB out.

When I serviced my trans in the summer I used this rubber gasket that came with the screen/filter but as you can see in the picture it doesn't look anything like oem. The oem one is better because it is a crush gasket and seals very good if you TQ it down right. The rubber one is four times as thick and is pure rubber. Worked good but I noticed a leak at the back already. Maybe user error but for future jobs I would prefer the oem gasket.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM

OEM is on the left and aftermarket is on the right.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you help me? I as well have the P0744 code. I also went to the dealer just to make sure and they confirmed I needed a solenoid kit but they also want $800 to fix it. $400 for the kit and the rest labor/fees. I also gave him a printout of the TSB for the upgraded/cheaper solenoid part and the dealer had no idea what it was. They said they will call me if they figure out what this TSB is since it was not showing it in there database - I never heard from them. I'm mechanically inclined and do all my car work myself unless I don't have the special tools.

Anyway, I got 2 solenoid packs out of 2 different Maximas at the junkyard and did an ohmeter and power test on both (per service manual). The resistance check complied but the power test on: Shift Solenoid A, B, and Overrun Clutch Solenoid did not (on both cars). The solenoids are not clicking when the 12v is applied. The other 2 solenoids clicked. Is is my luck that both of these junk cars are bad or am I not testing those 3 solenoids correctly. I cant afford to pay over $400 for a kit. Thanks for any advise.