4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Max overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 AM

97 Max overheating problem

My max is overheating during slow & stop n go traffic. Last fall I had the waterpump, thermostat change and the engine flushed. The weird things is that while the temp gauge is at 3/4 and the car is still running, the gauge will go back to normal in a few minutes if I put the car in either park or neutral. The cycle would repeat until I am either on the highway or steady moving traffic. My trans is also slipping. Could a bad trans cause the car to overheat? Any suggestions will be appreciated?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Possibly some additional things to look into:

-Engine coolant temperature sensor
-Radiator fans
-I've never done coolant system work on the Max yet, but air bubbles in the system were a large problem in my b12 Sentra. Possibly maybe look into bleeding the coolant system to get air out as well.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Have you tried bleeding the system again?

Have you even checked the coolant level yet?

No, 99% of the time a bad trans will not cause engine overheating.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you tried bleeding the system again?

Have you even checked the coolant level yet?

No, 99% of the time a bad trans will not cause engine overheating.
I have not tried anything with it yet. I took it to a shop for the repairs. I had them test for leaks a couple of days ago and they did not find any leaks(coolant was filled and tracer dye was put in it). I am going to take it back to them and inform them about the overheating problem. I was wondering about the trans because someone told me that it could have been causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM

im having similar issues, the water pump & radiator were changed just over 1 year ago, except when i check the coolant about 2-3 weeks ago it was dead on where it was suppose to be in the reservoir(a tad over the line but anyway) and the radiator was filled to the top just like it was suppose to be.

yesterday when i was working on the car i noticed coolant on the splash guards, opened the hood and saw the reservoir was overflowing with coolant didnt think much of it thought it was just the car was running recently and ive seen it go up and down from time to time to time and thats normal operation(of course overflowing is stretching normal operation), and driving around today and yesterday night i have been having these heat issues with an overflowing reservoir spitting coolant all over my engine bay, as soon as the car starts moving at about 30-45 the temp dramatically drops
Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Crusher103
im having similar issues, the water pump & radiator were changed just over 1 year ago, except when i check the coolant about 2-3 weeks ago it was dead on where it was suppose to be in the reservoir(a tad over the line but anyway) and the radiator was filled to the top just like it was suppose to be.

yesterday when i was working on the car i noticed coolant on the splash guards, opened the hood and saw the reservoir was overflowing with coolant didnt think much of it thought it was just the car was running recently and ive seen it go up and down from time to time to time and thats normal operation(of course overflowing is stretching normal operation), and driving around today and yesterday night i have been having these heat issues with an overflowing reservoir spitting coolant all over my engine bay, as soon as the car starts moving at about 30-45 the temp dramatically drops
Well the first thing you should do is pressure test the system, see where it's leaking at. If you can't do that and you want to try something else, try bleeding it for a while, probably a big air pocket in there.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Well the first thing you should do is pressure test the system, see where it's leaking at. If you can't do that and you want to try something else, try bleeding it for a while, probably a big air pocket in there.
it is coming out of the top of the reservoir
Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Crusher103
it is coming out of the top of the reservoir
...yes, because it's being pushed out of the radiator, indicating most likely a huge pocket of steam in there.

Which means that the coolant was low, which means that there's likely a leak somewhere.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM

k gotcha, just bleed the system and the coolant was low going to pressure test later this week, thanks pmohr
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

overheating issue

I have a 1999 maxima, the other day experienced overheating issues while driving. Put in new coolant (since I barely had any left I figured replacing it would do the trick). Drove it today (2 days later) and drove around for about 10-15 minutes. It began to overheat while driving in a parking lot. I thought it could just be because of how hot it is outside since it is about 90 degrees F, but I still want to try to fix this problem quickly and as cheap as possible since I am a college student with barely any money. Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by dvm29
I have a 1999 maxima, the other day experienced overheating issues while driving. Put in new coolant (since I barely had any left I figured replacing it would do the trick). Drove it today (2 days later) and drove around for about 10-15 minutes. It began to overheat while driving in a parking lot. I thought it could just be because of how hot it is outside since it is about 90 degrees F, but I still want to try to fix this problem quickly and as cheap as possible since I am a college student with barely any money. Any suggestions?
Did you recheck the coolant level? There are many reasons for overheating....air in system...bad fan motors....bad fan relays...bad fusible links...leak in hoses and there are a few hoses that are coolant hoses...I would start with the fans....turn your a/c on and listen for the fans to kick on...if they do...the low speed side of the fans is good....turn the a/c off and let the car warm to operating temp where the high speed fans kick on...if they don't you will need to check your relay for rad fan 1....its located in relay box in front of battery...you will need to check continuity on the relay...not sure of the specs...if those check good...move to the fusible links located in fuse box on drivers side fender well...u will be able to see if they are blown...the cover is clear...if all that checks good I would move on to checking for leaks on all the hoses that coolant flows through... After that I would check thermostat and water pump...water pump being last...but the pump does corrode and the fins eventually get destroyed by the coolant... Hope this gives u a starting point....also check wiring to the fans...electrical plugs etc
Old 09-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jerrod99_se-l
Did you recheck the coolant level? There are many reasons for overheating....air in system...bad fan motors....bad fan relays...bad fusible links...leak in hoses and there are a few hoses that are coolant hoses...I would start with the fans....turn your a/c on and listen for the fans to kick on...if they do...the low speed side of the fans is good....turn the a/c off and let the car warm to operating temp where the high speed fans kick on...if they don't you will need to check your relay for rad fan 1....its located in relay box in front of battery...you will need to check continuity on the relay...not sure of the specs...if those check good...move to the fusible links located in fuse box on drivers side fender well...u will be able to see if they are blown...the cover is clear...if all that checks good I would move on to checking for leaks on all the hoses that coolant flows through... After that I would check thermostat and water pump...water pump being last...but the pump does corrode and the fins eventually get destroyed by the coolant... Hope this gives u a starting point....also check wiring to the fans...electrical plugs etc
yes the coolant level is still at the max line.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dvm29
yes the coolant level is still at the max line.
Also, the car only seemed to heat up while I was driving. I was in park revving my engine and it didn't overheat