4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine Stalls after cleaning EGRC

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Engine Stalls after cleaning EGRC

I have a 95, auto tranny, with 162k. I pulled the dreaded 03/02 code, EGR System Hi/Low Flow, a couple weeks ago. After reading previous threads, I checked the egr tube, but it wasn't blocked. So I cleaned out the EGRC solenoid valve as suggested.

After cleaning the EGRC, the car started to idle rough sometimes and stall sometimes. It's not constant. Sometimes I pull up to a light and the rough idle starts, it then will either stall or start running smooth again. Othertimes when I stop at a light, there is no rough idle and everything runs smoothly. If I keep the RPMs high when it starts idling rough, I can prevent it from stalling. Today, I looked under the hood and started her up and when the rough idle started there was a small amount of smoke coming from under the throttle body area, in the egr valve area, but I can't tell exactly where its coming from. When the engine started to run smoothly again, the smoke stopped.

Any ideas?

I took a stethascope to the fuel injectors and they are all clicking away just fine.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Update 8/27/09: I was able to fix the stalling and rough idle problem by replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor. The smoke is also gone. But the 0302 code still remains.

Here is a list of everything I have done to try and fixed the 0302 code:
Checked large EGR Tube for carbon buildup
Replaced EGR Tube gaskets
Checked all egr pipes and tubes for clogs
Checked all egr pipes and tubes for vaccum leaks
Replaced EGR-BPT Valve
Replaced EGR Solenoid Valve
Cleaned Grounds
Replaced Coolant Temperature Sensor
Replaced MAF Sensor
Replaced Air Filter
Tested EGR Valve for proper function
Replaced EGR Temperature Sensor

Last edited by EP95SE; 02-15-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:13 PM
No more Maximas...

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? That's what I'd be going after.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? That's what I'd be going after.
I've checked the two that flow to the EGRC solenoid valve and they are just fine. I was thinking that since I wasn't having this problem prior to cleaning the EGRC then the other tubes shouldn't be the issue. Could a vacuum leak create smoke?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by EP95SE
I've checked the two that flow to the EGRC solenoid valve and they are just fine. I was thinking that since I wasn't having this problem prior to cleaning the EGRC then the other tubes shouldn't be the issue. Could a vacuum leak create smoke?
Create smoke, no.

It's possible another vac line was disturbed, or the lines just failed.

Have you been able to determine exactly where the smoke is coming from?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah that's true, maybe it's another vac line.

I can't place the source of the smoke. It comes up through the Y in the plenum, but I can't tell where it's starting. When it starts to idle rough and I open the throttle to try and keep it from stalling, the smoke begins until it stalls.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Yeah that's true, maybe it's another vac line.

I can't place the source of the smoke. It comes up through the Y in the plenum, but I can't tell where it's starting. When it starts to idle rough and I open the throttle to try and keep it from stalling, the smoke begins until it stalls.
Could very well be a leak in the EGR system. If you mixed up some hoses, it's also possible that the EGR system is now staying open, causing the rough idle. The more throttle you give it, the more exhaust gases it produces, all the more to choke the engine.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM

I had the same problem happen to me this weekend. I cleaned the sensor this past weekend, removed and cleaned the egr tube, and after it was all put back together, the car was very rough. When I come to a stop, the rpms sometimes drop to about 500, but so far the car hasn't stalled. When I cleaned the egr tube, I used TB cleaner (not sure if that caused a problem) in the tube and also inside the engine (where the part came from). I plan on taking the egr apart this weekend to see if I can figure out what happened. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine is stalling too. If I rev the engine a bit to ~3000 rpm, it eventually goes away and everything is back to normal. Thought it was MAF meter, so i cleaned it; no go, rough idle, stalling, rpm's limited.

But here's some more possible solutions:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...dies-de-k.html

Basically, check coolant temperature sensor and MAP sensor.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Create smoke, no.

It's possible another vac line was disturbed, or the lines just failed.

Have you been able to determine exactly where the smoke is coming from?
Where is this egrc sensor at? I have a code for that also. My egr tube is clean.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by blktalon456
Where is this egrc sensor at? I have a code for that also. My egr tube is clean.
The EGRC sensor is located right next to the tranny dipstick underneath the knock sensor electrical plug. It has a green electrical plug on it, one small hose coming out the top, and two small hose coming out the bottom.

Thanks for the thoughts on the coolant temp sensor. I replaced it about 6 months ago due to a code and figured it wouldn't need replacing again, but I should check it out. Maybe it's gone bad.

After I started this thread, I found a different thread with others that have the same issue, http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-randomly.html. So, I'm going to post my progress and updates on the "Car Stalling Randomly" thread so we can keep the issue consolidated to one thread.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello
i have a question...my 98 max threw a check engine lite...i had it checked and i got p325 ks and p1400 egrc solenoid valve... i went to the dealer they checked the valves and told me there workin fine...so i had the egr sytem cleaned...they told me it was filthy and that was the problem...not even 24 hrs later the check engine lite is back on ...if the egrc solenois valve is good and they cleaned the whole system i dont understand what else it can be...any suggestions ?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM

go back and retrace your steps with FSM i did that and i found the TB gaskets had a crack and a hose was not put back and also the IACV was not torqued tightly enough creating a leak make sure you tighten every screw right. my rough idle is gone (cleaned IACV)
Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM

So I'm coming back to this thread because I was able to fix the stalling problem by replacing the MAF sensor and my 0302 code still remains.

I pulled my egr temperature sensor and checked the resistance here is what I got:

at 32 degrees F - greater than 2 Megohms
at 100 degrees F - .940 Megohms
at 110 degrees F - .840 Megohms
at 125 degrees F - .640 Megohms
at 145 degrees F - .425 Megohms

The FSM says at 100 degrees it should read 85.3 kohms or .0853 Megohms. And the stickies say the specs are:

- at 32 degrees F, 0.68-1.11 Megohms
- at 122 degrees F, 0.09-0.12 Megohms
- at 212 degrees F, 0.017-0.024 Megohms

So I'm way out of spec! I'm in the process of getting a new sensor and will update once installed and driven for awhile. Hopefully this fixes it.

Last edited by EP95SE; 08-27-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MYBABY
hello
i have a question...my 98 max threw a check engine lite...i had it checked and i got p325 ks and p1400 egrc solenoid valve... i went to the dealer they checked the valves and told me there workin fine...so i had the egr sytem cleaned...they told me it was filthy and that was the problem...not even 24 hrs later the check engine lite is back on ...if the egrc solenois valve is good and they cleaned the whole system i dont understand what else it can be...any suggestions ?
I would test the egrc solenoid valve myself if I were you. Seems like most here have fixed the p1400 (cel 1000) by replacing the egr solenoid valve. Since you can't search yet, I searched for you. Here are some instructions I found:

1005 indicates a fault in the EGR control solenoid valve or its circuit. The code shouldn't be set by a restriction in the EGR guide tube. Test for battery voltage at the end of the harness connector. If good, turn the ignition switch to ON, plug the harness connector in, and listen for the solenoid to click. If it doesn't, replace it. You can get it from www.courtesyparts.com for about $72 plus shipping.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 PM

I replaced the EGR temperature sensor over 200 miles ago to get ride of the 03/02 code (EGR System Hi/Low Flow). The 03/02 code has not come back, YES! But ever since, I've been getting the 10/05 code (EGRC Solenoid Valve). I've cleared the code many times and 10/05 keeps coming back. Earlier in the summer when I was getting just the 03/02 code, I swapped out the EGR Solenoid valve in hopes that it would fix the 03/02 code, but the 03/02 code kept coming back. Since the 03/02 code kept coming back, I decided to reinstall the old EGRC Solenoid valve. I never got the 10/05 code before or after swapping out the EGRC Solenoid valve, until I replaced the ERG Temp Sensor.

So my question, if the EGRC solenoid valve was really the problem, why did the 10/05 code not show up until I replaced the temperature sensor? Is there a different part that could be replaced instead of the EGRC Solenoid valve that might clear-up this 10/05 code?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 PM

So my question, if the EGRC solenoid valve was really the problem, why did the 10/05 code not show up until I replaced the temperature sensor? Is there a different part that could be replaced instead of the EGRC Solenoid valve that might clear-up this 10/05 code?
Did you disconnect any vacuum hoses from the throttle body to get to the EGR temperature sensor?

The procedure for diagnosis of P1400 (10/05) is to check for battery voltage at the end of the harness connector, check continuity between the valve and the PCM, check all the vacuum hose connections, and lastly test the part itself. The problem could be intermittent, or you could've gotten a bad replacement solenoid valve.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM

In case anyone else was having this problem, I ended up replacing the EGR Solenoid Valve to solve the problem. I've driven about 750 miles on it and the check engine light hasn't returned!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM

I was going to say maybe you forgot to turn the idle back up..... lol that fixed my problem. I never cleaned the EGR tube and im at 170xxx
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM

The 0302 code is back!!!!!!!!!! So frustrating. 1005 code has not returned, but I can't kick the 0302. Please see my first post for everything I'd done to try and get ride of this code and chime in with any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM

I read in another thread that an exhaust leak can trigger the 0302, EGR System Hi/Low Flow, code.

I looked at the exhaust while the car was running but didn't see any leaks. Is there a way to test for an exhaust leak?

Last edited by EP95SE; 02-17-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Someone has to be an EGR guru.....
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM

I had a code for this and took it to the dealer. THey pressure tested and ran codes. THey came back with 02 sensor????

They replaced the 02 sensor behind the cat and never had the problem again. U need to have the EGR system pressure tested to really see whats wrong. EGR is PITA. I went the easy way out ha ha
Old 02-19-2010, 09:18 AM

how much was the pressure test? cause i want to get my 0302 code fixed so i don't have to keep on worrying every two years how the heck am i gonna pass inspection. But i'm not spending $1k and like a bagillion hours. But i don't mind spending like $500 and like 2 hours tho.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
I had a code for this and took it to the dealer. THey pressure tested and ran codes. THey came back with 02 sensor????

They replaced the 02 sensor behind the cat and never had the problem again. U need to have the EGR system pressure tested to really see whats wrong. EGR is PITA. I went the easy way out ha ha
Thanks for the reply. Did you only have the 0302 code or was there on O2 sensor code in addition.

I searched the Org and did find anything about an EGR pressure test. What type of pressure test did they perform. Was it a vaccum pressure test, fuel pressure test, or something else?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. Did you only have the 0302 code or was there on O2 sensor code in addition.

I searched the Org and did find anything about an EGR pressure test. What type of pressure test did they perform. Was it a vaccum pressure test, fuel pressure test, or something else?

It was an EGR system pressure test. Dont know what it entails but i think they put in some colored smoke or fuel and see if anything comes out. They told me it wasnt the EGR. Instead it was the 02 sensor. I thought it was funny cuz i ran the CEL and got the EGR. THey ran the CEL and got 02 sensor??? either way..it came back with no CEL and never came back up so im good. cost me 250 bucks tho. I say replace the rear 02 sensor. Somethin is tellin the comp to run rich or lean. Seems like u got either an air or electrical issue
Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
how much was the pressure test? cause i want to get my 0302 code fixed so i don't have to keep on worrying every two years how the heck am i gonna pass inspection. But i'm not spending $1k and like a bagillion hours. But i don't mind spending like $500 and like 2 hours tho.

naw naw nothing like that. When u take it in for diagnostic they will do the test as part of the diagnostic. I dont think a reg mechanic can perform the test. Plus with the dealer, if that doesnt fix the prob u can always take it back to have them re-assess for no charge since they misdiagnos in the first place. Be careful tho some dealers are more knowledgeable than others. Always negotiate prices! They wanted to charge me 400...i talked them down to 250 bucks hehe
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
I thought it was funny cuz i ran the CEL and got the EGR. THey ran the CEL and got 02 sensor??? either way..it came back with no CEL and never came back up so im good.
Wow, that's just great. So this whole time, I could have been chasing after the wrong culprit!!!! I'll call Nissan and see how much to perform the test.

cashoit, before you replaced the O2 sensor and after you cleared the CEL, did the amount of time before the CEL turned back on vary. Meaning sometimes you would clear the CEL and it would turn back on the next time you drove it, and other times you would reset it and it would take a couple months before it turned back on?

The intermittent aspect of this is what's so confusing. I would think that it would consistently turn back on after a certain amount of time after I cleared it, but this isn't the case. The CEL's time-to-turn-back-on varies greatly.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Wow, that's just great. So this whole time, I could have been chasing after the wrong culprit!!!! I'll call Nissan and see how much to perform the test.

cashoit, before you replaced the O2 sensor and after you cleared the CEL, did the amount of time before the CEL turned back on vary. Meaning sometimes you would clear the CEL and it would turn back on the next time you drove it, and other times you would reset it and it would take a couple months before it turned back on?

The intermittent aspect of this is what's so confusing. I would think that it would consistently turn back on after a certain amount of time after I cleared it, but this isn't the case. The CEL's time-to-turn-back-on varies greatly.
can you post the price after they get back to you? I'm wondering if its worth it.....
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM

I've tried calling the dealer a couple times for a price quote on the ERG System Pressure Test, but no one's calling me back. I'll follow up though.

In the mean time, I'm thinking my gas cap might be causing the 0302 code. I found this thread and another one a few weeks ago.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...egr-p0400.html

Here's my timeline the last month, check engine light came on. Unscrewed the gas cap and did not hear the gas fumes being released. Which means there's a leak somewhere. So I tried to plump up the gas cap gasket around the base and screwed it back in tight. Then after driving for a few days I unscrewed the gas cap and heard the gas fumes being released. So there was a seal and no leak! The I drove around for two weeks with no 0302 code. Wife filled up with gas and heard the gas fumes being released and put the gas cap back on not knowing that it had to be super tight. Then 15 miles later the 0302 code came back. I stopped unscrewed the gas cap and there were no gas fumes being released.

It seems that the seal on the gas cap is shot and not keeping the pressure in the gas system causing the EGR System Hi/Low Flow code.

I'm going to get another cap and let you know what happens.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Wanted to update you. It's been three months since I installed the new gas cap and the 0302 code has not come back!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Glad that fixed your problem.Thanks for posting the fix for your problem.Who would have thought.This may help a lot of people in the future including me.