4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cant shift into 1st and 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 AM
MaximaDriver

cant shift into 1st and 2nd gear

hello all.

yesterday i was driving my can and suddenly on stop sign i couldnt shift into 1st, tried 2nd and same think. will not shift. very gently started from 3rd gear. out of 10 stops i can only one time shift into 1st and 2 gear. there is no grinding noise, tranny is quiet.

1st i was thinking tht my clutch is gone, but when i turned engine off i still couldnt shift into 1 and 2.

3,4,5 and R shifts fine

any ideas. need help!!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:30 AM

Have you checked to see if any of your motor mounts are bad ? if one is shot like i had on my G20 it could cause that problem the 1 nearest to the shift linkage on mine was totally gone .
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
MaximaDriver

i just drove car again and it shifts fine. i have no idea what is going on.
checked tranny fluid, clutch, clutch hydraulics and everything looks normal
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by SterlingMistMax
Have you checked to see if any of your motor mounts are bad ? if one is shot like i had on my G20 it could cause that problem the 1 nearest to the shift linkage on mine was totally gone .
Bad mount causing this ???? Not in my opinion ....

There are springs and check ***** that lock the shifting rods into place to 'hold' them in gear. If one of the springs broke or is somehow stuck compressed, it would likely cause this issue. The check ***** go through the shift rods so if one of the ***** is lodged inside the rod, it will not move.

My first thought would be the slave or master, but you checked them, correct? You might want to make sure the slave is moving the clutch fork as far as it's supposed to as well .... have someone else operate the clutch while you look under the hood.

If it slave seems ok, next thing I'd do would be to remove the bolt for the lower shift forks / ***** / spring. Here's a picture of the bolt that holds all that stuff in.

Sorry bout the crummy quality of the picture and edit, but you get the idea. The shift rod with the red line down it is the 1/2 shift rod. That long spring behind that bolt could have broken, you'll loose a little fluid if you remove it, but it will not come gushing out. If that spring doesn't 'jump' out when you remove that bolt, it needs to be replaced.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could be the TOB. i had the same problem, drove perfect, started it the next day and wouldnt go into gear. just something for you to consider. With the car off can you shift into gears?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 AM

master or slave cylinder possibly? both have gone out on my 97 recently
Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
MaximaDriver

thank you for your input.

car drives fine now w/o touching it. Not sure what happen.
But anyways thanks for info brothers!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Maintenance Monster

Were you able to move the shifter into the neutral position between 1 and 2? If so, you might have something loose inside your transmission.

You can *carefully* remove the gear position sensor (big plug looking thing) and that should give you access to see what if anything is hanging out down there.

Dave
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Were you able to move the shifter into the neutral position between 1 and 2? If so, you might have something loose inside your transmission.

You can *carefully* remove the gear position sensor (big plug looking thing) and that should give you access to see what if anything is hanging out down there.

Dave
Be ready though .... you'll need to catch the gear oil as it'll come pouring out if you do this. And, Dave is right "CAREFULLY" - that plastic will be brittle from age and it breaks very easily.

Didn't think of that Dave - nice post. Possibly the R/N flopper switch, coulda had the spring come apart I guess, or a roller ball fall out if it somehow got cracked. That'd jam up the selector for sure. At any rate though, unless it's plastic, the catch mag should hold it and prevent anything (metal) from binding in the future.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM

sorry for the thread revival...my wifes car is having something like the beginnings of the above problem. We have owned the car a few months or more...... info...97, and previous owner has had the trans rebuilt by a shop around Madison, with a new clutch. clutch slave line has been replaced with some kind of braided line. The issue is 1st and 2nd gear are a little tough to engage, and when shifting from 1st to second, two things happen..1st doesnt want to let go, and 2nd sounds like it grinds just the tiniest bit, then all other gears operate normally. I will also mention that from the day we bought the car, the clutch engages mere millimeters from the floor.
could this be a slave issue that needs to be bled? I will have to search to find the how-to on it, and for the diagram above, that is all on the outside of the trans?
Thanks all for the help, and sorry for the possible thread highjack, this was the first post that sounded like our issue.

Last edited by jturkey69; 03-31-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 PM

Hey everyone! I've been around reading this site and all the information is great. I was wondering if anyone found the solution to this problem. My gear shifter seems to be very hard to shift into 1st and 2nd when starting from stop with the engine on. When the engine is off, I don't have this problem. I have a full container of clutch fluid (all the way in the back of the hood area near the driver's seat).

My car is a 1996 Nissan Maxima SE. Any other info needed, just ask. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Can anyone help? I can't start my own thread because I am still new.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Im not sure if it helps, but in our case, we bought our car that had the factory maze of clutch hardline eliminated, and was replaced with a one piece braided steel hose that went from master to clutch slave. I had to adjust the clutch pedal under the dash a little bit since it engaged so quick just millimeters off the floor, and also I had to recently replace the one piece stainless braided clutch line, and clutch master, and still dont have all the air out yet..lol, but it does work..just havent had time to finish the job.

I had to search here for a bit, but did eventually find the problems, and solutions.
maybe start by looking for leaks, and maybe even bleeding the system? another possibility is clutch starting to go, or trans fluid needs to be checked? Im pretty new when it comes to nissans, so trying to do a search might help since I wouldnt want to give incorrect info.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 AM

I have a thread running with a similar problem, turns out the fork was damaged but i couldn't tell because it would shift sometimes and then not when it got hot. Might have to tear into it.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Yes, I've been trying to figure this out too.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:37 PM

Yes, I've been trying to figure this out too.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 AM

I am not sure if this is just wishful thinking but I put premium (93 octane) gas in my car and it seems to shift smoother than before. I definitely feel the car is more willing to move when I release the clutch, which was expected.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Are you on drugs? ^

"93 Oct made my transmission shift better"

Anyway. My car had the same problem. The fork in the transmission broke for first and second. You need a new tranny. Go get one out it in and have a good day. It's happened to two maximas I've worked on.

And if your car shifts better with 93 try filling your windshield washer fluid see if your turning radious gets better.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jturkey69
Im not sure if it helps, but in our case, we bought our car that had the factory maze of clutch hardline eliminated, and was replaced with a one piece braided steel hose that went from master to clutch slave. I had to adjust the clutch pedal under the dash a little bit since it engaged so quick just millimeters off the floor, and also I had to recently replace the one piece stainless braided clutch line, and clutch master, and still dont have all the air out yet..lol, but it does work..just havent had time to finish the job.

I had to search here for a bit, but did eventually find the problems, and solutions.
maybe start by looking for leaks, and maybe even bleeding the system? another possibility is clutch starting to go, or trans fluid needs to be checked? Im pretty new when it comes to nissans, so trying to do a search might help since I wouldnt want to give incorrect info.

Bleed the clutch using the bleeder located on your drivers side strut tower. Put a clear length of hose on it put a 10mm wrench over it have your buddy pump the clutch til it gets pressure crack then tighten the nut on the bleeder and repeat til you see no bubbles coming.out
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by danmack34
Are you on drugs? ^

"93 Oct made my transmission shift better"

Anyway. My car had the same problem. The fork in the transmission broke for first and second. You need a new tranny. Go get one out it in and have a good day. It's happened to two maximas I've worked on.

And if your car shifts better with 93 try filling your windshield washer fluid see if your turning radious gets better.
When insulting someone, It is best to use poor grammar and mis-spell words to acquire maximum respect from the internet community.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Thank you for your input and that was probably my auto correct going rogue lol the word "out" should be "put" and "radious" should be "radius" but good looks Mr.4 posts