4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I was on overhaulin! But not really

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I need a truck

I was on overhaulin! But not really

I took down the plastic skid plate on the bottom of the car this afternoon to clean out a bunch of leaves and crap that got in there and I was shocked!

RUST!!!

Where the cross member meets the radiator cross beam support it's almost completely rusted. The cross member looks fine, but the radiator support beam is rusted.

I took pictures, but I haven't uploaded them yet, and I have to go to work now.

Has anyone ever replaced the lower radiator support cross beam? Are there any welds? I didn't see any, and my neighbor thinks it is just bolted on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
I took down the plastic skid plate on the bottom of the car this afternoon to clean out a bunch of leaves and crap that got in there and I was shocked!

RUST!!!

Where the cross member meets the radiator cross beam support it's almost completely rusted. The cross member looks fine, but the radiator support beam is rusted.

I took pictures, but I haven't uploaded them yet, and I have to go to work now.

Has anyone ever replaced the lower radiator support cross beam? Are there any welds? I didn't see any, and my neighbor thinks it is just bolted on.

Any help would be appreciated.
I know its a semi common issue. You can get an aftermarket support and completely replace it. I dont remember how involved it is, but you should be able to do it in the driveway.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:55 PM
No more Maximas...

Did you search?

Results from 'radiator support rust':
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r+support+rust
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...es-please.html

...etc

There's even a writeup on how to replace it, if you search for it.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I need a truck

Thanks. I didn't have a chance to search. I had to make sure I got to work on time. I made the post because I couldn't believe how bad it rusted. It seriously felt like I was on the A team on an episode of overhaulin.

I wasn't aware (yet) that it's a semi common problem. I already pulled off the bumper, grill, headlights, etc and was studying what needs to be done.

On a side note ... I read/used your guide to replace the ignition switch and found it a bit easier to drop the steering column to get to that back screw so that it wouldn't strip. I forget the nut sizes to drop the column (I want to say that they're 12mm).
Old 09-06-2009, 05:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Conrad283
Thanks. I didn't have a chance to search. I had to make sure I got to work on time. I made the post because I couldn't believe how bad it rusted. It seriously felt like I was on the A team on an episode of overhaulin.

I wasn't aware (yet) that it's a semi common problem. I already pulled off the bumper, grill, headlights, etc and was studying what needs to be done.

On a side note ... I read/used your guide to replace the ignition switch and found it a bit easier to drop the steering column to get to that back screw so that it wouldn't strip. I forget the nut sizes to drop the column (I want to say that they're 12mm).
Indeed, 12mm head.

That's a lot of work just to remove one screw, when you can use a short screwdriver without a problem (or a long one as I did).
Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by pmohr
Indeed, 12mm head.

That's a lot of work just to remove one screw, when you can use a short screwdriver without a problem (or a long one as I did).
I tried both that you suggested, but it just felt like it was going to strip because I could get straight at it. But nonetheless, a good writeup.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:52 PM

I'm surprised you live in new york and never heard of radiator supports rotting out, very common anywhere there is snow. There are many like 50 spot welds (i think) you have to drill out and its not that fun from what i understand. the links pmohr posted will show you your def not alone

EDIT: OEM supports are like $140 from courtesyparts.com, might as well go there if your gonna pay the same price for aftermarket

Last edited by B_Eaze; 09-06-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I need a truck

Here are the pics ... After doing some searching on the topic. Mine is by far not the worst, and not the best.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Whatever you do, ONLY buy the part from Nissan.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Mine is way worse it was rusted through the top buy the time i noticed it im just buying time with rubberized undercoating spray untill hopefully next summer.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 PM

upstate newyork citizen telling you to get used to it, mine is going to rot out before it runs out