4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

really weird electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM

really weird electrical problem

So a few weeks ago I had taken off my headliner and all the pillars to replace them with black, and I dyed the headliner, as well as replacing tan seat belts to black seatbelts. In addition to all this, I got new visors (one with homelink). So today I installed the headliner, pillars, interior lights, visors, etc etc and I'm getting some weird *** electrical problems. Car still runs perfect, but the clock wont illuminate whatsoever, the homelink stopped working, as well as the lights on the mirror of both visors, my radio plays fine, but antenna wont go up, and my key fob wont lock or unlock the doors. I have never ran across something like this. input or advice, or should I take it to the shop because I'm ****ed?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I need a truck

Did you check the fuses?

Were any of the problems areas you mentioned working at some point after the swap? Or not at all?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM

You blew fuse #40 7.5A upper right hand corner of underdash fuse box.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
You blew fuse #40 7.5A upper right hand corner of underdash fuse box.
Well I checked all the fuses and they're fine, so I dono...
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
Did you check the fuses?

Were any of the problems areas you mentioned working at some point after the swap? Or not at all?
everything was working perfectly fine when the car was bare while I was gathering all the parts together, now today when I installed / put everything in, this started happening. weird. Fuses are fine, but I'll see if replacing the underdash fuses will do anything...
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by LushMoney
Well I checked all the fuses and they're fine, so I dono...
You don't need to check all the fuses, just the 7.5A one in the upper right hand corrner of the underdash fuse box. I've had many say all their fuses are fine when they are not. I would suggest you check it more closely actually remove it and check with a meter.

The only other possibilty is any wiring work. you performed but its most likely the fuse.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hate to hijack someone elses thread but I am unable to create a new one as I forgot my old accounts email and cant log into it. I am having a very similar problem which started yesterday and is intermittent. The car runs fine but certain things don't work at all.

WORK: Engine, 12v car adapter, horn, headlights, electric seats, wipers, power locks.

DOESN'T WORK: Radio, clock, A/C, speedometer, tachometer, power windows, interior lights, turn signals, hazard lights.

I've checked fuse #40 like NoPike thought it might be but that fuse is fine. Any thoughts?

Last edited by JasonR109; 09-30-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JasonR109
I hate to hijack someone elses thread but I am unable to create a new one as I forgot my old accounts email and cant log into it. I am having a very similar problem which started yesterday and is intermittent. The car runs fine but certain things don't work at all.

WORK: Engine, 12v car adapter, horn, headlights, electric seats, wipers, power locks.

DOESN'T WORK: Radio, clock, A/C, speedometer, tachometer, power windows, interior lights, turn signals, hazard lights.

I've checked fuse #40 like NoPike thought it might be but that fuse is fine. Any thoughts?
Check both of you visor/vanity lights if they both work fuse 40 is fine if they are both out fuse 40 7.5AMP upper right corner of underdash fuse box is blown.

If that's not it step on the brake pedal do the brake lights go on? If yes go back and check fuse #40 if the brake lights don't turn on and the visor lights are out then fusible link "k" 75Amp is blown. I think it's located near the battery. That would mean you had a major short. How did the problem start?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I checked and the visor/vanity lights do not work and neither do the brake lights. fuse #40 appears to be fine.

The problem started yesterday randomly. I was driving along and my radio and A/C and everything else I listed just turned off. Then about a minute later it started working again. It's done this about 5 times where it will stop working but then just randomly start working again.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Check 75A fusible link it's in the underhood fuse box next to the battery upper left corner. Also on the positive terminal of the battery there is a thick wire and two thinner black wires running to it (at least on my 98 SE) check that those wires are properly connected/clipped in.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Also check that the battery connections positive and negative are both clean and secure.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay I've checked FL 75. Seems its not making a good connection or something as even if I move it a little bit it result in everything turning off.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 PM

Okay I've checked FL 75. Seems its not making a good connection or something as even if I move it a little bit it result in everything turning off.
BINGO!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haha yep. I tested the fuse and its definitely A okay. Tried it in the box again and had same problem. Checked the connectors in the box and bent them a little inward and BINGO! Everything turned on, I wiggled the hell out of it and it all stayed on. Thanks again for your help. I'd have gone nuts trying to troubleshoot this on my own.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM

Haha yep. I tested the fuse and its definitely A okay. Tried it in the box again and had same problem. Checked the connectors in the box and bent them a little inward and BINGO! Everything turned on, I wiggled the hell out of it and it all stayed on. Thanks again for your help. I'd have gone nuts trying to troubleshoot this on my own.
Glad I could help. You should be fine but if the problem reoccurs you know where to look.